Grassfed.........the True Story

Help Support CattleToday:

Jogeephus":1xvfngxv said:
I agree 100% when it comes to feeding the masses but if I want to buy raw milk why is this a felony? If I want to sell beef to my neighbor, why must I go through so many hoops? Why do I have to have a license to sell a fricking egg!? Why do you have to pay $150 for a license to sell vegetable plants? Another $100 to sell vegetable seed? Why do the regulators feel its their job to interfere with local food production and sales? IMO its a sad state of affairs and then you got these idiots out there saying commercial cattle production is unhealthy ..... is bad .... and all they are doing is giving the government more rope to hang us with.
Like it was said earlier - These things threaten commerce for mega corps if selling direct off the farm becomes mainstream.

We are being lured into a trap of dependency. Depend on the government or depend on the corporation, two traps using the same bait.

Jogeephus":iih1chnm said:
I agree 100% when it comes to feeding the masses but if I want to buy raw milk why is this a felony? If I want to sell beef to my neighbor, why must I go through so many hoops? Why do I have to have a license to sell a fricking egg!? Why do you have to pay $150 for a license to sell vegetable plants? Another $100 to sell vegetable seed? Why do the regulators feel its their job to interfere with local food production and sales? IMO its a sad state of affairs and then you got these idiots out there saying commercial cattle production is unhealthy ..... is bad .... and all they are doing is giving the government more rope to hang us with.

Because as you there was always some low down sneaky sob who poison some one or cheated them and hence all the feelgood regulations on everything. Plus as you also know there is nothing more selfperpetuating than a Government agency.

HDRider":38fntvb9 said:
Jogeephus":38fntvb9 said:
Like it was said earlier - These things threaten commerce for mega corps if selling direct off the farm becomes mainstream.

We are being lured into a trap of dependency. Depend on the government or depend on the corporation, two traps using the same bait.

No it doesn't. You and everyone else better believe that there would be mass starvation in this country if the "mega corps" in the food business folded. Remember too that depending on where you live and how well you wanted to eat that the cost of eating would stagger the imagination.

HDRider":qqak3mmb said:
Like it was said earlier - These things threaten commerce for mega corps if selling direct off the farm becomes mainstream.We are being lured into a trap of dependency. Depend on the government or depend on the corporation, two traps using the same bait.

I don't think it threatens the mega crops or the large corporations because they pretty well have monopolized the food industry. In fact, I think their efficiency should be commended since there is no way the future food demands could ever be supplied by small time producers. No, I see it more as a way to increase bureaucracy. With the consolidation of food production you no longer need as many regulators but once you create Frankenstein its hard to dispose of him. Due to this they cast their web and pull everyone into it. Some willingly and some not. Most of the willing sheeple are clueless to what goes on in agriculture and gleam their misinformation from crap published on the web by people like this gal who are trying to sell a book. The sheep will bray and the shepherds will gladly step in and take away more of our freedom under the guise of protecting us.

If the food megacorps would fold OVERNIGHT, there would be mayhem, but america could perfectly well be fed by small time growers... Why doesn't it happen? because more and more the average person HAS TO HAVE the latest gizmo and a 5 year old or newer vehicle... I saw a chart once that showed household disposable income spent on unprocessed food.. it's been dropping steadily except for perhaps a couple bumps... Also, along with the latest gizmo (and perhaps partly because of the need to have it), both parents in a household need to provide income, that leaves no one to do house work, and thus they have to buy packaged food at 10x the price of the raw ingredients. There would be no food shortage without corporations, but the whole economy of both country and household would need to adjust.

Here's another reason they don't want farm gate sales... No taxes on it! (try and prove income on cash sales)

Nesikep":2ak2llds said:
If the food megacorps would fold OVERNIGHT, there would be mayhem, but america could perfectly well be fed by small time growers... Why doesn't it happen? because more and more the average person HAS TO HAVE the latest gizmo and a 5 year old or newer vehicle... I saw a chart once that showed household disposable income spent on unprocessed food.. it's been dropping steadily except for perhaps a couple bumps... Also, along with the latest gizmo (and perhaps partly because of the need to have it), both parents in a household need to provide income, that leaves no one to do house work, and thus they have to buy packaged food at 10x the price of the raw ingredients. There would be no food shortage without corporations, but the whole economy of both country and household would need to adjust.

Here's another reason they don't want farm gate sales... No taxes on it! (try and prove income on cash sales)

WTF are you smoking. That's just plain crazy. Maybe 60 or 70 years ago but not now. One little piece of food for thought. You gonna take food stamps for a 1/2 of a beef. Cuz if you don't they are gonna cut your throat and take it anyway.

That's a completely different social problem... And those people with the food stamps.. well, they probably have no shortage of money for gizmos yet right? Just a part of the problem is the mass migration to cities.. it happens in 3rd world countries just like it does here... How can any farmer compete with $50/hr jobs in the oilfields? I think there's just a general imbalance... it's not going to go away unless something drastic happens, whatever the cause is... Perhaps a *real* economic crash.. 2008 was a small taste of what could happen, and some people speculate will... Especially when the govenrments all go by the logic "Spend your way out of debt"

Nesikep said:
That's a completely different social problem... And those people with the food stamps.. well, they probably have no shortage of money for gizmos yet right? Just a part of the problem is the mass migration to cities.. it happens in 3rd world countries just like it does here... How can any farmer compete with $50/hr jobs in the oilfields? I think there's just a general imbalance... it's not going to go away unless something drastic happens, whatever the cause is... Perhaps a *real* economic crash.. 2008 was a small taste of what could happen, and some people speculate will...
Especially when the govenrments all go by the logic "Spend your way out of debt"[/quote]

I won't argue that!

3waycross":axope0x6 said:
HDRider":axope0x6 said:
Jogeephus":axope0x6 said:

No it doesn't. You and everyone else better believe that there would be mass starvation in this country if the "mega corps" in the food business folded. Remember too that depending on where you live and how well you wanted to eat that the cost of eating would stagger the imagination.

I am not saying the industrial food system goes away. I am suggesting the market, or really the government, should make it easier for direct farm sales. Now the government makes it harder, or impossible. Try to find a small USDA inspected processor. They are becoming more and more rare.

I'm not taking a swipe at the food industry as it it exists. I'd just like to see direct farm sales not be regulated to death.

I am not saying the industrial food system goes away. I am suggesting the market, or really the government, should make it easier for direct farm sales. Now the government makes it harder, or impossible. Try to find a small USDA inspected processor. They are becoming more and more rare.

I'm not taking a swipe at the food industry as it it exists. I'd just like to see direct farm sales not be regulated to death.[/quote]

I agree with that totally.

Latest posts