Grab the popcorn and your brass knuckles!

Help Support CattleToday:

Taurus":ptv4emu4 said:
inyati13":ptv4emu4 said:
CKC1586":ptv4emu4 said:
Based on the beating Taurus gave me over my flavor of Kool Aid. I won't voice my opinion on this thread. But I guess most of you know what my preferences are....Have a great day.
Hey is this considered gray Saturday since yesterday was black Friday?????

Cindy, don't empower others by placing too much value on their commentary, afterall, that is what it is. Comeback and help provide Mr Greenjeans enough responses to make this interesting.
yeah come back and show us that you have thick skin instead of crying over of a sarcastic post for no reason.

:bs: and a few other terms I am keeping under my hat :tiphat: . Go out and check on them black cattle. :wave: See ya.

Isomade, I agree with your maternal selections but a lack of diversity could lead to a rise in genetic anomaly problems. I was angling for more diversity in the "imaginary" selection process. Even though Charolais is a standard choice in this area as well for terminal sire selection, why choose them over Limousin or Pied's or even ChiAngus. From a practical standpoint and "real world" usage, you are correct from my point of view.

Skeeter Swatter, tell me about the Salers selection. Genetic diversity and ultimate heterosis? My Terantaise suggestion holds the same underlying principle if that was your analysis as well.

For you folks out west, how about Aubrac and Irish Blacks with free will (without the restrictions).

Mr. Greenjeans":12rhkker said:
Isomade, I agree with your maternal selections but a lack of diversity could lead to a rise in genetic anomaly problems. I was angling for more diversity in the "imaginary" selection process. Even though Charolais is a standard choice in this area as well for terminal sire selection, why choose them over Limousin or Pied's or even ChiAngus. From a practical standpoint and "real world" usage, you are correct from my point of view.

Skeeter Swatter, tell me about the Salers selection. Genetic diversity and ultimate heterosis? My Terantaise suggestion holds the same underlying principle if that was your analysis as well.

For you folks out west, how about Aubrac and Irish Blacks with free will (without the restrictions).
Because a 2 year study conducted at he Noble Foundation proved that in the areas suggested is is unmatched for profitability even when matched against equal valued black calves it has a .02/lb advantage. I changed the others to GV because I have heard from others on here that they get docked for char influence. I have absolutely no first hand knowledge in those areas though.

skeeter swatter":ep5sa51l said:
Minnesota- maternal, Angus/Baldie, (red or black)
Sire- Char or Salers.

I would say i agree with angus baldie as maternal but i would probably switch the salers to maternal side crossed with either the angus or hereford. Not saying they cant be used as term bull succesfully but with the saler you undoubtfully add some hair which gets noticed. That same hair if was on you cows winter easier in our area and doesnt show up hardly at all when bred back to a term bull of other sort. Also just to add that the main reason i would switch the salers to cross on maternal side is because in my opinion they have a lot of great qualities but 90% of them are maternal of some sort (ie easy doing, very rangy, easy calving because of larger pelvis, lots of good rich milk, and long lasting) so why give that up specially when there are better breeds of bulls as a whole for getting the weight added from a term sire.

As far as sire if i had angus salers cross cattle i dont know. Something that would hold par with their marbling since salers is hire in that than a lot of continental cattle. I would love to use char bulls as terminal if had all red cows but with black ones the grey calves take a bit of a hit. Otherwise terminal wise i think alot of bulls in most breeds would work. Even the salers like said above just stating why i would use them maternal instead.

Also if i was anywhere south where it was warmer i would use brangus or F1 hereford/brahman cattle. There is no reasoning behind this from any knowledge i have at all other than i really like the looks of brangus cattle and some of them F1's really catch my eye too.

1. West Texas -- Brangus-- Sire: Ultra Black

2. Deep South -- F1 Tiger -- Sire: Charolais

3. Frozen Tundra -- Angus/Herf -- Sire: Limo

4. New England -- Angus -- Sire: Simmental

5. 37th to 38th Parallel -- Red Angus-- Sire: Chianina

Here in North Central Texas....

Longhorns--- covered by a Pied bull! I don't think there is anything man can do to compete with 500 yrs of Natural selection!!

back2dfuture":20zpbi84 said:

Longhorns--- covered by a Pied bull! I don't think there is anything man can do to compete with 500 yrs of Natural selection!!
:lol: :lol: :lol: :clap: :lol:

back2dfuture":jdlb2y90 said:

He could start by making them edible, and apealing to a wider consumer base. Last time I looked they were a niche market at best.

I would say......On the Maternal side, Brangus fits the bill for ALL geographical areas! :nod:
They are heat and cold tolerant. Good foragers. Easy calvers. Good milkers. Pretty resistant to disease. Probably the hardiest, most adaptable breed there is!! (But I am partial.) :D You could breed them to any bull that ya want and still get a good calf! (As long as the bull can keep up with those Brangus cows!) :lol2:

3waycross":15xqp18t said:
CKC1586":15xqp18t said:
Based on the beating Taurus gave me over my flavor of Kool Aid. I won't voice my opinion on this thread. But I guess most of you know what my preferences are....Have a great day.

I wouldn't lose much sleep over being flamed by the little bovine knowledger general if i was you!
Finally found the Pied / Longhorn calves picture:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater

I love to look at peids. I'm usually at the Noth American while they are there. I went to late this year to see them.

CKC1586":b8i7idwt said:
CKC1586":b8i7idwt said:

Finally found the Pied / Longhorn calves picture:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =1&theater
My friend always called them the longhorns on steroids.

inyati13":1fmi6a7b said:
Mr Greenjeans, you omitted a couple major regions which is known for beef. The High Plains and Rocky Mtn States like Montana, Wyoming and Colorado. Then there is the plains states, like the Dakotas, Nebraska, Iowa, etc.

Talk about frozen tundra, go to Bismarck, or Mile City, Sidney or Glendive in Montana in the middle of winter. You need a down parka in North Dakota until May 1st. If the wind is blowing and I think it always does, you may want to keep the parka in the truck of your car until the fourth of July.
The wind chill is -38 here in east Mont this AM and the hereford and red angus cows were grazeing. Looking like they will get hay or straw today as the darn wind wants yo blow and they can't travel as good as they should. A few days of this kind of weather has a way of seperateing those [cattle] that can make their own liveing and those that need baby'ng.

Beef Man":3teay5u9 said:
inyati13":3teay5u9 said:
Mr Greenjeans, you omitted a couple major regions which is known for beef. The High Plains and Rocky Mtn States like Montana, Wyoming and Colorado. Then there is the plains states, like the Dakotas, Nebraska, Iowa, etc.

Talk about frozen tundra, go to Bismarck, or Mile City, Sidney or Glendive in Montana in the middle of winter. You need a down parka in North Dakota until May 1st. If the wind is blowing and I think it always does, you may want to keep the parka in the truck of your car until the fourth of July.
The wind chill is -38 here in east Mont this AM and the hereford and red angus cows were grazeing. Looking like they will get hay or straw today as the darn wind wants yo blow and they can't travel as good as they should. A few days of this kind of weather has a way of seperateing those [cattle] that can make their own liveing and those that need baby'ng.

My bet is the Hereford will always be the last one standing in the most extreme conditions.

You call Eastern Virginia and N Carolina "tidewater". My extremely limited knowledge of that area (been there once) showed there tidal runs are much smaller than ours. I am about 40 some miles from the Pacific and 20 some from the Southern tip of the Puget Sound so if figure I am in the tidewater area. The people I get my bulls from ranch right up against the ocean (you could throw a rock from their pasture to salt water at high tide). They also have retained ownership of their cattle and put them through a feedlot for years. So they raise cattle that work all the way to the plant. They raise Simm/Angus. They shoot for a 1/4 - 3/4 mix. Generally full angus bulls over half breed cows. To keep that mix they are constantly bring in new blood from both breeds in the form of different bulls to breed up their replacements with.
And temperatures in the upper 30's to lower 40's with rain nearly daily and wind blowing in straight off the ocean, thin skinned cattle just don't work here. The cattle are constantly wet from early November to early April. Personally I wouldn't mind having a cow that had a 1/4 or a 1/8 Galloway in her.

mrvictordomino":25rv995f said:
Beef Man":25rv995f said:
inyati13":25rv995f said:

My bet is the Hereford will always be the last one standing in the most extreme conditions.

No- not over a Galloway.......

Latest posts