getting ready for slaughter

Help Support CattleToday:

cleav

Reaction score
is it the last 90 days you need to lock up a steer before slaughtering it, and how much corn do i need to feed him. do i need to put any form of proitien or minerals in this feed, last i was told to feed as little hay as posible during this time is this true also.

cleav":3mn7ud18 said:
is it the last 90 days you need to lock up a steer before slaughtering it, and how much corn do i need to feed him. do i need to put any form of proitien or minerals in this feed, last i was told to feed as little hay as posible during this time is this true also.

To each his own, but I do not drylot. I feed limited hay, but you'll have trouble with loose stool if he does not have adequate hay. I feed Tindle Superstock 12% protein. This is a sweet feed with a lot of corn in it. I add extra corn the last few weeks. I work them up to 15-20 lbs of feed per day. My genetics grow between 3 and 4 pounds per day on this amount. Free choice mineral block, and loose mineral made available regularly.
Multiple satisfied customers think I'm doing it right.

cleav":2d516vcl said:
is it the last 90 days you need to lock up a steer before slaughtering it, and how much corn do i need to feed him. .
",If you want grain fed beef, he should not have access to grass. If he has not been eating grain - you need to start him at 1% of his body weight - 900# needs 9# grain per day (4.5# am & 4.5# pm). Than it should be increased each week. I recommend whole shell corn - cheaper & less chance of him getting sick. You should continue increasing trying to reach 3% of his body weight in dry matter. This also includes hay.",
cleav":2d516vcl said:
do i need to put any form of proitien or minerals in this feed, last i was told to feed as little hay as posible during this time is this true also.
Not knowing the weight/age of your calf & how close he's ready for finish this is hard to say. You determine how much hay by the thickness of his manure. He needs enough hay to keep him healthy but not enough to fill him up where he won't eat his grain. A few flakes AM & PM - if his manure is too loose, he needs more hay.