Getting some snow

Help Support CattleToday:

I think the cows handle -40 at least as well as +40c. These cows don't look too bothered at -42. The fog you can see is created by the cows themselves.

All the water is still in liquid form where needed so far:

Wow, look at that sun. Do you put your hands in the water when you want to warm them up?

Ken

Do they calve in those temps outdoors?

And how in the heck is that water not frozen????
Some purebred breeders will be calving in January. The intent is to have them deliver the calf in the barn.

The water trough has an element under the bowl. I have a heat light in the culvert under the trough that the water line comes up through which keeps the lines from freezing.

The trough I water the cow herd with has no heat, but uses a different approach altogether.

And here im worried about -25F and 40-50mph winds over the next 24hrs. That's just a summer breeze compared to what some of you guys are dealing with. 🥶🤣
It's never good when the wind is added in. Especially that kind of wind. I would rather be -40, calm and sunny. Good luck over the next 24 hrs.

It's never good when the wind is added in. Especially that kind of wind. I would rather be -40, calm and sunny. Good luck over the next 24 hrs.
Thanks, but I still think your -40 is way to cold. I'd have to stick my hands in your water trough to keep them warm.🤣

We are hoping we don't loose any calves. We calve out on the ground, no barns to move into. Normally throw calves in the truck to warm them up. They do have willows and brush stuff to get into for some protection, but it will definitely still be cold for the little buggers.

Here's what we look like.. -17F tonight, then a heat wave for christmas up to nearly 50F with rain.. that's going to make some serious ICE
I find about 10 to 15F a perfect temp for winter.. things stay nice and frozen but it's not a bitter cold

1671642348190.png1671642380978.png

Full bellies and the girls are doing just fine
IMG_20221220_101828_062.jpg

It is cold here as well. It was not to bad when I first went out this morning to start up the tractor, but by the time I got done the wind really started to get with it. My phone app says it's -3 out. Took me all morning to feed, my electric cord for the block heater decided to give it up, and the tractor would not start. Ran the battery down, put the charger on it and it decided to give it up, so I went to town for a new one. I still need to go back out to fill the cake feeder with grain after lunch. Fed the cows and calves a little more hay, I think they are going to need it, and opened up the gate into the coral so that the calves can get out of the wind alongside the loafing shed. We are not supposed to be below zero for the next couple days.

Stay warm my friends.

Went to fuel up the feeding tractor this morning after chores and snapped off my 'arctic' fuel hose. Replaced the hose but now the fuel is gelling in the filter. I'll try again later this afternoon, might have to pull the filter.
Had some heater issues in the pump house for bull and calf water, just needed to turn the backup heater up a bit to thaw the signal line on the jet pump so the points would do their job. Other than that it's going pretty good for being -50 F this morning.

-40 this morning; at least the wind was not blowing. My feed tractor would not start, so much for that new block heater I put in last month. I just fed with the loader tractor and spread the bales apart as good as I could, fed extra hay today as well. Went out the feed the bulls and ran my head into the hay spear, dang that smarts just a bit.

-40 this morning; at least the wind was not blowing. My feed tractor would not start, so much for that new block heater I put in last month. I just fed with the loader tractor and spread the bales apart as good as I could, fed extra hay today as well. Went out the feed the bulls and ran my head into the hay spear, dang that smarts just a bit.
Ouch.

Ken

I'm curious and have some questions for you folks that live this routinely.

How do you keep your truck doors from freezing shut?

How do you keep your eyelids from freezing to your eyeballs when you blink?

Do y'all blink?

How do you pee when your out checking cows. Do you have to pre-heat it? Post-heat? Heat tape or what? Don't be shy.

Latest posts