Getting some snow

Help Support CattleToday:

Should get another six weeks of grazing here should Mother Nature provide.

There is 80 weaned calves out here that I gave a bale to on Monday. Cows are still in the hills but the hay field regrowth for these calves is gone.

Its unusually warm here in the UK if anyones interested about 20 degrees C or 68F which should prolong the winter grazing here so we have to be thankful for that especially after such a long hot and dry summer which meant hay/ silage crops were very poor (we had a drought almost as bad as our last bad one of 1976 I'm told) reservoirs are at only ~25% capacity still.

No snow yet on this end. Some flurries, but still above freezing, so it melted on contact.
But it's coming....... latest after Halloween.
Truly enjoying the last few days of not having to feed.
Silver what kind of 'Shredder' are you using there. It doesn't seem to shred the hay?

Sure thankful for the rain and temperatures right for starting ryegrass where Bermuda is short or non-existent on my small place NW of Ft Worth. I'm letting my calves graze standing dry bermuda until I see some germination then I will move to another pasture.

No snow yet on this end. Some flurries, but still above freezing, so it melted on contact.
But it's coming....... latest after Halloween.
Truly enjoying the last few days of not having to feed.
Silver what kind of 'Shredder' are you using there. It doesn't seem to shred the hay?
It's a Tubeline unroller. It just unrolls the bale and leaves the hay in a nice tidy windrow.

Used to have a bale buster but felt it was hard on pto's, fuel, maintenance and worst of all to me was the green snow for half a mile from the feed ground that I could only assume was wasted alfalfa leaves. This unroller is as gentle as can be and seems to minimize waste. It is not a processor.

Used to have a bale buster but felt it was hard on pto's, fuel, maintenance and worst of all to me was the green snow for half a mile from the feed ground that I could only assume was wasted alfalfa leaves. This unroller is as gentle as can be and seems to minimize waste. It is not a processor.
Yes we have a Brandt Bale processor, which is parked as a lawn ornament since a few years now because of these reasons. Really great machine, nothing wrong with it as to how it works, but ongoing maintenance in the middle of winter and loosing so much 'good' out of the hay when it is shredded just didn't cut it.
Luckily we have a few hills, so bales were rolled downhill. Yup, took a couple of posts and fences out too if you were not careful. =D
Until a neighbour mentioned getting a 'bale unroller' for his 3 point hitch tractor and that it worked pretty slick, that was a couple years ago. Followed suit because it sounded pretty good, once we had it we wondered why we didn't get one many years ago!!!!!!!

I had to feed a bale last Friday to our tiny herd. I've got a bunch of hay out there, but it snowed and I haven't moved them around yet. This week they get moved to pretty tall grass for the fall.

Winter has arrived! Have about a foot of snow in the last couple of days. I broke down and fed some hay today, noticed this evening the cows are grazing eyes deep in snow there is good grass down there as long as it doesn't get real cold and freeze the wet snow.

Latest posts