Getting some snow

Help Support CattleToday:

80 degrees Saturday, 47 yesterday, 29 degrees this morning. And sometime in March, the reverse will happen. Go to bed one night in the 30's, and by noon the next day we are 70-80. In Ga, we just don't do spring or fall.

Used to have a bale buster but felt it was hard on pto's, fuel, maintenance and worst of all to me was the green snow for half a mile from the feed ground that I could only assume was wasted alfalfa leaves. This unroller is as gentle as can be and seems to minimize waste. It is not a processor.
Agreed on all counts. We have found that idling down and travelling a little slower minimizes the lost leaf aspect. As most of our own hay is grass it is a moot point with it. Works great for frozen silage bales.

Putting out feed to some cows. Winter May finally be here.

Looks like your unroller is still working great. Mine had so many issues we decided to sell it and I'm back to the old 3pt. I was hoping to buy a Hustler (same as Tubeline) this year, but dealer and I couldn't come to an agreement on price. Glad to see yours is holding up. 👍

Looks like your unroller is still working great. Mine had so many issues we decided to sell it and I'm back to the old 3pt. I was hoping to buy a Hustler (same as Tubeline) this year, but dealer and I couldn't come to an agreement on price. Glad to see yours is holding up. 👍
Wow, that's too bad it didn't stand up. Ours has been good. What sorts of issues did you have?

Chains on the hydraulic motors would just jump off, regardless of how tight they were. Table split valve would just stop working so couldn't raise or lower the table to feed out a bale or the work the back forks. We would put new chains on, new hydraulic valves and even changed the hydraulic drive motor. However, go a day or two and back to doing the same thing again. Even changed tractors thinking it was the hydraulics on the tractor, but still same results. Dealer figured I just got a lemon, but other than that was no help except sure was eager to sell me parts. My Son was convinced the frame wasn't welded together straight in a few areas. It even tracked behind the tractor funny. Might have been, but I was tired of being down more than up so said goodbye to it.

Chains on the hydraulic motors would just jump off, regardless of how tight they were. Table split valve would just stop working so couldn't raise or lower the table to feed out a bale or the work the back forks. We would put new chains on, new hydraulic valves and even changed the hydraulic drive motor. However, go a day or two and back to doing the same thing again. Even changed tractors thinking it was the hydraulics on the tractor, but still same results. Dealer figured I just got a lemon, but other than that was no help except sure was eager to sell me parts. My Son was convinced the frame wasn't welded together straight in a few areas. It even tracked behind the tractor funny. Might have been, but I was tired of being down more than up so said goodbye to it.
Well that's unfortunate. Especially bad that the dealer didn't stand behind it.
So far on ours I have sheared a key off on the drive gear and replaced the cable that runs the height gauge. Turns out if you don't keep that gauge clean inside it fills with crud and rots the cable so combined with the crud freezing makes for a broken cable. Other than that making sure bolts are tight once in awhile we have fed a few thousand bales trouble free.

Well that's unfortunate. Especially bad that the dealer didn't stand behind it.
So far on ours I have sheared a key off on the drive gear and replaced the cable that runs the height gauge. Turns out if you don't keep that gauge clean inside it fills with crud and rots the cable so combined with the crud freezing makes for a broken cable. Other than that making sure bolts are tight once in awhile we have fed a few thousand bales trouble free.
That's good news. Never had issues with the cable but did squirt Pam on it and down the guide tube at the beginning and end of ever year. Neighbor has an old Age Way (before Tube Line) and has done nothing to it at all. It's starting to rust rust out in places but still works fine. I can't figure out why mine would never work right. I sure like how it fed the bales out though and I'm sure I'll get another like it, but going to have to wait till inflation gets figured out.

Hey Silver,
You need to put up a taller fence, to keep that cold at your own place. I don't mind freezing, but zero is a bit much for this hillbilly.
View attachment 23916
Our stuff is not designed for that here in Arkansas, and it's so rare that it's really not feasible to get set up for it, but the last few winters have been more brutal and I prepare a little better each time but still end up with issues.
I'm already stressing about what all might go wrong, mostly watering livestock and frozen pipes.

Looks like a lot of us are going to get hit with a blizzard Thursday. Accuweather predicted up to 59 mph gusts with the temps plummeting into the negatives. Even with heating tape on the pipes, heaters inside the well houses and deicers, the stock tanks and fountain will probably freeze - at least they did the past couple years with the polar vortex.

Like LittleJoe and others, we aren't really prepared for brutally low temperatures here and being new to a different part of Texas I'm not real sure what I need to do. Even tho I'm in a residential setting now, I still have the minimum outside water piping such as water faucets and of course, the pool pump and associated pipes/valves etc..

I always just left everything dripping back in East Texas and that worked except when the big deep freeze in 2021 came and the power went off.
Do these plastic coated Styrofoam things actually do any good in temps in single digits?
And what is the thing below the insulated cover? (there is one on each outside faucet)

faucetcover.jpg

And what is the thing below the insulated cover? (there is one on each outside faucet)
I think that is a vacuum breaker. If your water supply pressure drops to near zero, water in connected garden hoses may syphon back into your water supply. Those break the vacuum to prevent that. Seems like those must be a code requirement here if there is not a backflow preventer in the supply line to the house.

Latest posts