Friendly bull

Help Support CattleToday:

Rod

Reaction score
I've had my angus bull since he was about 1 1/2 years old, he's very good natured. I made a mistake I quess of scratching his forehead through the fence after I had first purchased him. Each time I would go out to the lot he would walk to the fence and I would scratch his head a second on my way through, just trying to get him use to the place and me.
I've had him a year now and even out in the middle of the pastture he will walk right up to me and just stand there. I'll scratch him just a second and go on. I'm very cautious around him even though he's never given me reason to be, but I've read some posts about bulls being unpredictable. Would it be better to discourage this behavior from him or just leave things as they are? At least now I'm able to work with him in any way I need to.

Rod":pxp0g4q5 said:
I've had my angus bull since he was about 1 1/2 years old, he's very good natured. I made a mistake I quess of scratching his forehead through the fence after I had first purchased him. Each time I would go out to the lot he would walk to the fence and I would scratch his head a second on my way through, just trying to get him use to the place and me.
I've had him a year now and even out in the middle of the pastture he will walk right up to me and just stand there. I'll scratch him just a second and go on. I'm very cautious around him even though he's never given me reason to be, but I've read some posts about bulls being unpredictable. Would it be better to discourage this behavior from him or just leave things as they are? At least now I'm able to work with him in any way I need to.

Trainwreck looking for a spot to happen, gentle bulls is great but they have to respect me and my space. Bulls will be bulls never trust one, my opinon.

Rod":3kulkzep said:

We have had several bulls that are the exact same way. Keep doing what you are doing and remember to respect him and things should be fine. We have never had any problems and will continue the same practice at our place. This does not work will all bulls but some bulls are just really good natured.

i agree i like a bull to walk away from me rather than come into my space. my bull is easy to handle but i never touch him. i have a cow that will not move away and i don't like that either, she will stand and shake her head at me. she may not last long.

no need to be touchy feely with a bull, that's an accident waiting to happen. Kind of like a bull with horns... now that you've started it, it may be hard to break that habit but it must be done for your safety and for other's. What would you do if a young relative of you got close to him and he just wanted to be "petted" and they got knocked on their butts because they just stood too close when he came up?

You will be wise to break him of it. Some bulls are like some dogs and get grouchier as they get older. Even if he doesn't all it takes is for him to be having one bad day and you will have a bad day too. They are too fast and powerful and the consequences a single incident aren't worth taking the risk. It's playing with fire. Sooner or later…

Craig-TX

I bought a 2 yr old cow that was a "pet", she too would come up to me and lower her head and shake it at me. Two times with a bucket on top the head changed that, the second time I had to throw it at her and chase her a few feet. She knows the pecking order now. My bull, as a yearling, shook his head at me at feeding time... the bucket training method worked on him also.

As for the bull issue, unless you handle and lead him on a regular basis your asking for trouble.

Alan

Be careful, a bull can accidentally hurt you as bad as if he wanted to. If s 2000 lb. bull rubs his head against your leg, he can lift you up pretty easily.
Just be careful.

When I first started with cows I had an Angus bull I raised from a calf and he was as gentle as a dog,so I thought I knew him. When he was about 3 or 4 years old I was squated down working on the waterer in his pen. I had shooed him off several times so he put his head under my bee-hind and tossed me over the fence,which I cleared by quite a bit. Lucky all I got was the wind knocked out of me. He was the last pet bull I ever owned. By the way,I weighed about 180 at the time.

my 2 herd bulls i pet and rub on them everyday. they are like dogs. but you must remember that they are 2000lb bulls. I have never had a problem with them. my young bulls on test see me rubbing the older bulls and most of them I can rub on and pet. I don't know if them watching has calmed them down but I can touch or rub about %80 of my 100 or so head. just my 2 cents worth. jsut because they are cows doesn't mean you can't enjoy them

Every year someone in my part of Ontario is killed by a bull. This year so far two have died.

All from animals handled every day.

Nuff said - you can guess my thoughts on the answer to the original question.

Bez

My neighbor who ran a dairy had a Holstien bull years ago that turned an H Farmall over in a fit of rage. That taught me a lesson. Bulls ain't ya buddy and they sure ain't ya pet ;)

I have been touchy feely with my eight month old Dexter bull since I got him at four months old. I don't feed him by hand, grain and treats are from bucket. I can touch him anywhere and pick up his front feet (still working on the back). But if I have the bucket in my hand, I'd better be quick to set it down and get out of the way. I don't forget he is a bull, and I never turn away without keeping an eye on him.

I've always had bulls that I can scratch anywhere.. I've never had a problem. I never get between them and a gate / panel or something they can squish me against, and if they don't want to be bothered, I leave them alone. You have to be careful with any animal that is that size, but if he's used to this type of handling, he's not going to understand the punishment if you run him off now. They do THINK and react directly to the way they are handled.

Keep treating these bulls as a lap dog, just keep your medical insurance paid up or have your plot staked off. Apparently quite a few have have never messsed with cattle in range conditions and are in desperate need of psychiatric help. Bulls can never be trusted that calm bull that runs to a bucket today is stomping you or one of your kids tomorrow. Then you sound like those people that says their dog doesn't bite.

Today I was moving my herd from one pasture to another. I have been haying them and letting them graze this pasture pretty low. As I was walking through the pasture with them to open the gate. I heard the stampede headed my way. When I turned, my one crazy,wild eyed cow was in the lead at a dead run, straight at me, with the rest of the herd in close pursuit. Yes, this concerned me a bit, wrong cow to be leading the charge. This wild-eye cow has had my bucket training in the past, so when I yelled at her and through out my hands at her I got some great sliding stops. All my cows and bull come to my call most every time and I only use my bucket training when I'm being challanged or they put me in a situation that could become dangerous.

I would rather have a cow/bull that will move away from me when I come through the herd, rather than having to shoo them off or push them away. My bull is very gentle but I truly believe he could kick a nickle off the top of a fence post without touching the post.

Why take a chance with such large animals?

Alan

people die everyday from a lot stranger things than petting a bull. to each their own enjoyment. some people have snakes,bears,wild cats for pets. I'll take my chances with my bulls.

Wrong board but this reminds me of a joke.

Whats a Redneck say just before he gets hurt? ... Hey guys! Watch this!

Alan

Alan":1o2czm59 said:
Wrong board but this reminds me of a joke.

Whats a Redneck say just before he gets hurt? ... Hey guys! Watch this!

Alan

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Good one Alan those people that own bears, mountain lions, and etc. need medical attention also as old Caustic said.

Latest posts