? For the experts.

Help Support CattleToday:

southernultrablack

Reaction score
So I'm in the market for a new bull. Found a bull(Gelbvieh)that has great EPD's, homozygous polled, homozygous black.Good performance numbers,59 pound BW, 648 WW, and 1046YW. So all that is well and good. The problem is that he does not have the big bone structure that I like, he is kinda fine boned. Would this be a deal breaker for y'all? Let me hear your opinions on it.

I'm no expert, but it would depend on your plans for him. Age and development should be taken into consideration, also I'd ask to see his dam/sire.

EPD's are the most over-used tool out there today, 90% of folks couldn't buy a bull in today's day and time without looking at EPD's first.

I have some calves out of a fine boned bull (sold him) that is fine boned. Personally I hate how the steers look like with these fine boned and skinny legs.

thommoos":37rhwz7k said:
I bought one of his bulls, i love em. Mine is a Do Little son, Johnny bred for Body, Black and Polled.

Thommoos, never had the pleasure of meeting Johnny but am good friends with his son Dustin, good guy and they have a good program going there. A lot of my females come from their program. But the bull I'm looking at is actually from a place in GA.

I'm not an expert as you all know, but I feel that anything that can't be eaten should be as small as possible, yet get the job done. Bones, hide, head, ears, tail, hooves etc.

City Guy":2u6jvs86 said:
I'm not an expert as you all know, but I feel that anything that can't be eaten should be as small as possible, yet get the job done. Bones, hide, head, ears, tail, hooves etc.
How does that pertain to bulls?

City Guy":1lv0aeur said:

They still need those parts to meet selection standards, or they (or offspring) won't last long enough to be eaten. :2cents:

City Guy":2nvnh134 said:

You're right, but thin bones won't get the job done.

southernultrablack":38n9l6qg said:
So I'm in the market for a new bull. Found a bull(Gelbvieh)that has great EPD's, homozygous polled, homozygous black.Good performance numbers,59 pound BW, 648 WW, and 1046YW. So all that is well and good. The problem is that he does not have the big bone structure that I like, he is kinda fine boned. Would this be a deal breaker for y'all? Let me hear your opinions on it.

I definitely don't consider myself an expert but there's your answer. His EPD's & the fact that he comes from a respected breeder doesn't matter. Find a bull you like.

Big bones aren't necessarily strong.

Skeletal structure (angles, proportion, etc.) is more important than bone circumference.

Fine bones are not always antagonistic with beef production.

Bones don't taste as good as meat.

Buy what you like; it is still a free country (sorta).

Fine Boned Steer vs Big Boned Steer of same breed and same age.
Fine boned steer
IMG_20160925_135938_zpszqz7651e.jpg

Big boned steer
IMG_20160924_090742_zps9ymme5qt.jpg

I'm not an expert, but in my opinion, if you don't really like the look of the bull, then probably you should look further. Even if the EPD's are exceptional if he is fine boned, that will likely be passed on to his calves.

Latest posts