Foods that stir up memories

Help Support CattleToday:

I guess I only focus on the bad stuff. My wife and I were lauging about my reaction to PBJ last night and she reminded me about my yearly rainy day pot of beans.
Back when I cowboyed and was broke all the time and didn't know it, I would make a huge pot of pinto beans and throw any and all meats, cheeses, eggs, condiments, vegetables(of which there were usually very few except for onions) into the mix... whatever I had on hand went into the pot, especially if it was ready to spoil if I didn't use it.
Once or twice a year on a rainy winter day I'll make myself a pot of beans and, acording to my wife, I act like a carefree twenty year old cowhand and tell stories for a week straight until the pot is gone. :roll:

Coke Float is one grandmother. "You want a Coke float?" was the first thing I heard when I came for a visit. White beans and fried potatoes remind me of my other grandmother. The beans cooking on that tall coal stove all day long in the winter. Smelling that coal smoke as I walked across the cotton patch to her house.

Fried eggplant out of the garden reminds me of my aunt I stayed with during the summer of my teens, driving a tractor from daylight to dark. She would bring a meal fit for a king to the fields and serve it on her big Chevy Impala. It covered the hood, the top and the trunk.

Fried catfish and hush puppies remind me of my mom, and chili reminds me of my dad.

I don't have any bad food memories. All mine are good, and I love them all.

Grandmother on Mom's side would make a concoction she called a vanilla shake. She took a pint jar and put a raw egg, cubed ice, milk, vanilla extract and sugar in it. Put the lid on and she would shake it until it was really foamy. Us cousins would almost fight over who got the first one. At the time it was better than anything from the Dairy Queen.

slick4591":12tr9my0 said:
Grandmother on Mom's side would make a concoction she called a vanilla shake. She took a pint jar and put a raw egg, cubed ice, milk, vanilla extract and sugar in it. Put the lid on and she would shake it until it was really foamy. Us cousins would almost fight over who got the first one. At the time it was better than anything from the Dairy Queen.
as a kid, any thing with those 2 ingredients in it was good..... just like snowcream

ALACOWMAN":29pkowt8 said:
slick4591":29pkowt8 said:
as a kid, any thing with those 2 ingredients in it was good..... just like snowcream

:nod:

Homemade bread from scratch and Homemade Applebutter, that is what I think of when I think of my Great-Grandmother, that and her bible. She made it until she was around 100 years old. Any time we went over, there was bread coming out of the oven and a jar of apple butter to open. Nothing went better with stories of the old days, of hiding their valuables from gangs of outlaws in false bottom sugar molasses barrels, and traveling in a covered wagon across the country to join the Oklahoma land run.

Pork :yuck: :yuck: . When I was about 10yrs my folks left the city and bought a farm. On the farm I made pals with a huge big pig with light blue eyes, little did I know that the previous owner had left Miss Piggy for the workers and that she had to be slaughtered. So the day came and I heard this agonizing screech for Miss Piggy and ran out to see what was up. There I saw four workers charging after her and every time they grabbed at her she let out this terrifying noise, traumatic especially to a little city girl. I ran to my dad and begged him to stop them but he obviously had no say in the matter. Anyway, Miss Piggy was hacked up and cooked in a big black pot for the workers farewell party...I will never in my life forget that smell. Those light blue eyes of Miss Piggy had an almost human quality to them :shock:
I see some of the nicest looking roasts, ribs or chops and think perhaps I should try but then a certain smell envelopes me :yuck: . I manage to eat a little smoked pork like bacon and ham at times.

alisonb":33ubey2q said:
Pork :yuck: :yuck: . When I was about 10yrs my folks left the city and bought a farm. On the farm I made pals with a huge big pig with light blue eyes, little did I know that the previous owner had left Miss Piggy for the workers and that she had to be slaughtered. So the day came and I heard this agonizing screech for Miss Piggy and ran out to see what was up. There I saw four workers charging after her and every time they grabbed at her she let out this terrifying noise, traumatic especially to a little city girl. I ran to my dad and begged him to stop them but he obviously had no say in the matter. Anyway, Miss Piggy was hacked up and cooked in a big black pot for the workers farewell party...I will never in my life forget that smell. Those light blue eyes of Miss Piggy had an almost human quality to them :shock:
I see some of the nicest looking roasts, ribs or chops and think perhaps I should try but then a certain smell envelopes me :yuck: . I manage to eat a little smoked pork at times.
you get a bite of southern style ribs, miss piggy memories will subside
:cowboy:

Latest posts