Flushing my new donor cow

Help Support CattleToday:

BIGBOY2

Reaction score
we are wanting to flush our new donor cow but she has a 5 month old calf by her side now, my question is should be wean the calf before we set her up to flush her? or will it not make any different?

When we flushed out cow, they. the breeding service, told us a lactating cow was better than one that wasn't. She produced 23 or something close to that quality embryos. However, her calve was onlly two months old and not really pulling her down yet.

It shouldn't matter. We flush a lot of our donors when they are still with calf. We always get what we were looking for.

Anguscollegekid":3tj5rete said:
What about flushing a yearling heifer? Do you get as many eggs? Any experience out there?

Usually the youger they are the more fertile they are; therefore you should get more quaility eggs.Just make sure you get her thoroughly checked before you spend time and money.The embryologist that I am buddies with always suggests ultrasounding an animal if she has never been flushed before and also after she has calved again.So that is an option you may want to look into.
Syd
Edit this >that is supposed to say "younger" in case no one knows what a youger is.

Anguscollegekid":2fkan1av said:
What about flushing a yearling heifer? Do you get as many eggs? Any experience out there?
Why flush a yearling? She is totally unproven. What if her calves are pieces of crap?

*Cowgirl*":2c2cwwgc said:
Anguscollegekid":2c2cwwgc said:
Why flush a yearling? She is totally unproven. What if her calves are pieces of crap?

Alot of yearling show winners are flushed especially if they are really deep pedigreed animals.It is better flush them alive and have the wait and see approach than to have an unfortunate accident happen and you have no young stock out of that animal.To late to say I wish we would have flushed her.

Syd Sydney":2jlp50tm said:
*Cowgirl*":2jlp50tm said:
Anguscollegekid":2jlp50tm said:

Alot of yearling show winners are flushed especially if they are really deep pedigreed animals.It is better flush them alive and have the wait and see approach than to have an unfortunate accident happen and you have no young stock out of that animal.To late to say I wish we would have flushed her.
I understand your point, but I'd rather use a proven producer than a fancy show heifer. AND if your heifer does have an accident - cut her open. Remove her ovaries. And call the nearest animal sci college on the way.

*Cowgirl*":qesg7by5 said:
Syd Sydney":qesg7by5 said:
*Cowgirl*":qesg7by5 said:
Anguscollegekid":qesg7by5 said:

I understand your point, but I'd rather use a proven producer than a fancy show heifer. AND if your heifer does have an accident - cut her open. Remove her ovaries. And call the nearest animal sci college on the way.

That is fine if you are close to a well populated area or near facilities but alot of breeders on this board can not get a Vet to call them back let alone come out to their place so where are they supposed to find an animall sci college.
You don't have to buy the embryos but I know alot of people that would .Just like they would buy a deep pedigreed animal (heifer) bred to a very popular bull it may be a winner it may be a dud .Keep in mind that I am in Canada and the only animals that are really selling are the young ones open heifers or bred 1st to 3rd calvers.

Anguscollegekid":2dd2zkah said:

We always let them have one calf before we flush. Make sure something weird does not happen, Heard a vet from either Iowa or Indiana say you can ruin a female by flushing a virgin heifer. Can get cystic, hard to breed back . It has to be one heck of a female to flush before her third calf on our place.

Anguscollegekid":1odzpwrs said:

Dont know much on ET yet , but from what I hear is that virgin cows heifers give you more eggs then others

vs_cattle":32j02f4d said:
Anguscollegekid":32j02f4d said:

Dont know much on ET yet , but from what I hear is that virgin cows heifers give you more eggs then others
S&S I've also heard that you can have trouble with virgins after flushing, but I didn't know if there was any merit to the rumor.

You want more eggs you adjust the dose.

This whole thread illustrates what is wrong with the purebred business.

1. Cow with 5 month old calf should have been rebred two months ago. Why isn't she? What makes you think that she is a "Donor"

2. Flushing unproven yearling heifers? What maternal qualities could you possibly have even a glimmer of that she has?

Did you get your "Donor" at some sale and paid big bucks for her, because someone told you she was a donor quaility cow? :)

The genetics that should be getting replicated are the genetics that are Proven to work. Otherwise you guys should be raising Alpacas. :D

Cowgirl-
That is not a lot of confidence in yourself or your animals. That won't get you anywhere in the industry. I flush virgin heifers when they win all the time, parents have backed up the breeding with winning and good genetics. As long as you pick a good bull that compliments the female you can't go wrong. The calves won't be horrible. You could end up with a replacement heifer or a steer. I am proud to say I flush virgin heifers, had a great showheifer out of them everytime.

Years ago, I worked for an ET outfit and we did both, with calves and without, it didn't seem to matter much as far as egg production. It was a crapshoot as far as how many good eggs they produced. What does her flush record indicate?

Flushing Females.... Guys I see both points, When flushing females that produce outstanding genetics means the cows are ten or twelve years old.. by then you may get a flush or two. Proven genetics, maternal programs with progeny with 7-8 generations of performance data with additional carcass data your crazy not to do it. Take fink beef genetics, you keep the top 10% you calve them out, and start flushing them 3 times and bred them.

What you get, a complete 4-10 head group of full brothers and sisters that together are above the industry. When those calves are worth 4000 as a 3rd calf female and 3500 as a 6 year old your crazy not to flush her and sell her, we are in the business of genetics here right!! Raise Good, Bred them better and let others improve there herds by doing the same.

KMacGinley":3c4rf70m said:
This whole thread illustrates what is wrong with the purebred business.

1. Cow with 5 month old calf should have been rebred two months ago. Why isn't she? What makes you think that she is a "Donor"

2. Flushing unproven yearling heifers? What maternal qualities could you possibly have even a glimmer of that she has?

Did you get your "Donor" at some sale and paid big bucks for her, because someone told you she was a donor quaility cow? :)

The genetics that should be getting replicated are the genetics that are Proven to work. Otherwise you guys should be raising Alpacas. :D

You can have your opinion thats okay but dont belive all these so called sterio-types of purebred operations I personaly will breed back a heifer / cow after her second cycle unless somethings up like her condition, age, or something comes up I also dont pamper my purebreds they are in the same pastures as my commercial stock

Simmishowchick":2xs48jb7 said:
Cowgirl-
That is not a lot of confidence in yourself or your animals. That won't get you anywhere in the industry. I flush virgin heifers when they win all the time, parents have backed up the breeding with winning and good genetics. As long as you pick a good bull that compliments the female you can't go wrong. The calves won't be horrible. You could end up with a replacement heifer or a steer. I am proud to say I flush virgin heifers, had a great showheifer out of them everytime.
It's not that I don't have confidence in my genetics. I want proof that an animal can preform before she gets sent to have 20 calves a year. There are way to many shoddy "donor" cows out there.

Latest posts