Might be of interest

Help Support CattleToday:

Thanks for the heads up., @coachg . I went to their FB page and saw videos of these, I think Clay is gonna try to go Tuesday and will get them if they are good and the price is right. Says he will breed them Red Charolais via AI sexed for female. He has done a complete about face on his plans, He was going to breed those 20 Black-Simm x ChiAngus heifers to Black Hereford, AI using sexed for male semen. Wants, or wanted, nothing but black steers to sell each year. This past week or so he says that he and some of his buddies, have about decided steer prices have no where left to go but down, but that prices for replacement heifers and cows are just gonna go up. He was gonna breed those 3 red Char cows he got back to a black bull, AI sexed for make. But now he is going to AI them back to red Char, sexed for females.

I would go to Ft Payne Tuesday, but there are supposed to be some open Brahma heifers at Calhoun Tuesday. If I can buy 5 or 6 of them right, I am gonna get them and AI them to a Jersey sexed for female. Breeding a Jersey or other dairy cows to a Brahma, is too much work, because you have to buy other calves to graft on them.

Thanks for the heads up., @coachg . I went to their FB page and saw videos of these, I think Clay is gonna try to go Tuesday and will get them if they are good and the price is right. Says he will breed them Red Charolais via AI sexed for female. He has done a complete about face on his plans, He was going to breed those 20 Black-Simm x ChiAngus heifers to Black Hereford, AI using sexed for male semen. Wants, or wanted, nothing but black steers to sell each year. This past week or so he says that he and some of his buddies, have about decided steer prices have no where left to go but down, but that prices for replacement heifers and cows are just gonna go up. He was gonna breed those 3 red Char cows he got back to a black bull, AI sexed for make. But now he is going to AI them back to red Char, sexed for females.

I would go to Ft Payne Tuesday, but there are supposed to be some open Brahma heifers at Calhoun Tuesday. If I can buy 5 or 6 of them right, I am gonna get them and AI them to a Jersey sexed for female. Breeding a Jersey or other dairy cows to a Brahma, is too much work, because you have to buy other calves to graft on them.
That bottom listing is at their farm not FP . I was afraid you might have not noticed . Those Gerts are very tempting. 🤠

That bottom listing is at their farm not FP . I was afraid you might have not noticed . Those Gerts are very tempting. 🤠
Yeah, I noticed that about those 65 Criollo cattle . They are in Miss. A lot of them are black, and are good sized cows, but they have Charolais calves and any with a calf more than a couple months old will be bred back to the Charolais. Too long before you could start getting black polled calves off of them. Those Gerts could be some money makers if you can buy them right.

No sir , got too much going on . Are you ? If it's not raining I'll be spraying pasture or mowing yards . I have a lawn care business along with everything else I do .

Last edited:
No sir , got too much going on . Are you ? If it's not raining I'll be spraying pasture or mowing yards . I have a lawn care business along with everything else I do .
No, but I think Clay is. We have a place to go with those Gerts if we can buy them right. Supposed to have some Brahma heifers 14-16 mos old at Calhoun tomorrow. I called and the man isn't bringing them in tonight, but is supposed to first thing in the morning. I am going to get up there early in the morning, and see if I can catch him and get 6 before he puts them in the sale. If I can, I will take then over to Dan's place and leave them for him to AI. Gonna do 3 with sexed BH semen and 3 with sexed Red Char semen, for heifer calves. I know what I can sell the black f1 Brafords for, and probably ought to do all 6 with BH. But, I got a feeling the red f1 Charbrahs will bring more than the white ones do.

Last edited:
No, but I think Clay is. We have a place to go with those Gerts if we can buy them right. Supposed to have some Brahma heifers 14-16 mos old at Calhoun tomorrow. I called and the man isn't bringing them in tonight, but is supposed to first thing in the morning. I am going to get up there early in the morning, and see if I can catch him and get 6 before he puts them in the sale. If I can, I will take then over to Dan's place and leave them for him to AI. Gonna do 3 with sexed BH semen and 3 with sexed Red Char semen, for heifer calves. I know what I can sell the black f1 Brafords for, and probably ought to do all 6 with BH. But, I got a feeling the red f1 Simbrahs will bring more than the white ones do.
There you go penhooking them before i can get there.

I considered it but dr office called and i have to go get some bloodwork done.
I go to more Dr appointments these days than anywhere else I go, just about. I had gotten the boy's number from the sale barn, and tried to call him earlier this evening but no answer,so I sent him a text. He just has texted me back, so I called him. They are not bringing them tomorrow either, his dad got the gooseneck all up in the cab of his truck . They have 8, 4 grey and 4 red, with one of them being dark red with a lot of black. He said if he could borrow a truck tomorrow, he might could get them there by the time the cows start selling about 1 PM. I asked him what they were hoping to get for them, and he said he was hoping for $2200 to $2500, but if he got them there he was gonna sell them.. Wasn't gonna bring them home...he needs the money. I made him an offer I really didn't think he would take on all 8 of them, but that was with me coming to get them and bringing cash. Told him I'd be there first thing in the morning if he could take that for them. He said " Well come on, then." It is close to Watkinsville, so I'll be back with them by noon. I will still probably go to the sale after I unload them. All but the red & black one are polled, too, and she was de-horned. I was wanting to get 6, but I am getting all 8 for less than I was planning on paying for 6. I might just AI the 2 "bonus" ones to Jersey.
And wouldn't you know it.....these gals were born and raised on fescue and orchard grass., but I am carrying them down to Scott's after they are confirmed bred, and keeping them on the pasture we had Gail in and the orchard. These 2 pasture are coastal bermuda, Bahia and Tift 44. I wonder if having them down there on bermuda for a year or so, would hurt them later on coming back north onto fescue?

There you go penhooking them before i can get there.
I didn't even go to Calhoun today. I got down there to where the rahas were at 7 this n morning. It rained like heck all morning, and it was cold! I got soaking wet ,muddy as a hog, and when I got back with those heifers it was after 11. I had to go take a shower and change clothes, and I just didn't want to go up there today. The dudes loading facility was outside, but he had gravel down all the way to the gate you load them from. They were real calm and easy to handle for Brahmas. The red and black one was the oldest, born January.. and the biggest at about 1150. The greys were March calves, and were the smallest.. a little over 1000.. I doubt they will go 1100. They are all fairly big framed , which I like. They are horse-broke.. the people I got them from work their cattle with horses, too, so that's another plus. I asked, and that was the last of their brahmas. They already sold their cows and bulls. Their biggest focus is black Simm cows and Brangus bulls. If it hadn't been a gully washer, I would have stayed a while, saddled up and checked them out. But, that is IT...and I mean it this time, I am not by buying another single bovine...unless I already have it sold first.

Last edited:
🤣🤣🤣🤣

We will see about that......

Found some Corrientes over by Macon at 450 each
Been running with a char bull
LOL. Good try! :) I wouldn't even give half that, if there was a chance they were bred to a damned Char bull! Well, if the Corrs were solid black, and if the Char bull was deep red, with no dilute gene, and homo for polled, I might. Maybe.

Latest posts