Different kind of sale for me

Help Support CattleToday:

Silver

Reaction score
This year we consigned our cattle to a 15,000 head calf and yearling sale. The sale was today for delivery (in our case) mid October.
The sale was held in a convention center with a live screen which displayed internet and on the floor bids. Mostly truck load or more sized lots. I thought it went really well, it was well attended by buyers in person and online.
I thought I'd share a lot of my steers being sold. It took awhile as there were lots of bids. Even bids from Ontario.

Good prices, we need and deserve it. I have yearling heifers booked for September 7 sale hopefully prices remain strong.

They are being sold in dollars per hundred pounds
I think I've asked before but it always confuses me. Canada is metric but I guess the influence from North America has you using the old time units.
Out of curiosity Silver do you run your cattle scales at home on lbs or Kg? And your motor vehicles do they run on Km or miles?

Ken

I think I've asked before but it always confuses me. Canada is metric but I guess the influence from North America has you using the old time units.
Out of curiosity Silver do you run your cattle scales at home on lbs or Kg? And your motor vehicles do they run on Km or miles?

Ken
I suppose it's odd to people not from here. Our vehicles run on either miles or km's depending on how we set them. Most everyone leaves them metric.
We weigh our cattle at home by the pound, we buy our feed by the pound. But we buy our beef by the kg. We know our own height and weight in feet and pounds (well, maybe some kids don't, I'm not sure). Us older folks use either system for distance, but metric is more common now unless your in the country then we use imperial because our land is surveyed in quarters and sections so it's easiest to use those for reference. Nobody uses Fahrenheit anymore, and only people my age and up even understand it.
We buy our fuel by the liter, most of us are starting to understand fuel mileage in liters per 100 km's a little better now….
We are officially metric, but it's good to be bilingual. Helps us with our Yankee friends that refuse to join the modern world.

I suppose it's odd to people not from here. Our vehicles run on either miles or km's depending on how we set them. Most everyone leaves them metric.
We weigh our cattle at home by the pound, we buy our feed by the pound. But we buy our beef by the kg. We know our own height and weight in feet and pounds (well, maybe some kids don't, I'm not sure). Us older folks use either system for distance, but metric is more common now unless your in the country then we use imperial because our land is surveyed in quarters and sections so it's easiest to use those for reference. Nobody uses Fahrenheit anymore, and only people my age and up even understand it.
We buy our fuel by the liter, most of us are starting to understand fuel mileage in liters per 100 km's a little better now….
We are officially metric, but it's good to be bilingual. Helps us with our Yankee friends that refuse to join the modern world.
It sounds like your proximity to the US is what keeps you using the imperial units for somethings. I guess the transition was easier for us as we are a bit isolated here and it was easier to go "cold turkey". People who are old enough to have used the imperial system can relate back to them and a lot depends how much you use measurements in every day life, I transitioned pretty well if someone asked me to pass them the 300mm piece of timber I would know which one they mean however if I asked Pam to pass me the 300mm piece of timber she would look at me blank and I would have to say 1 foot piece but then she would probably still pass me the wrong bit.

Ken

Latest posts