Humming Cow

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
Today, after I fed my three cows, Fanny and Violet start eating hay, but Louise stands by the trough and shuts her eyes and starts humming like she is talking to the calf inside of her. This is not a good sign because she is not due till April, so I pull up a chair and watch to see what is going on. She just keeps humming and she begins to work her back legs as if she is uncomfortable, like she is cramping, and she shows no signs of calving as far as udder or relaxation or discharges, and tail is still, but what the heck is going on with this cow? She does this for about 20 minutes. She then opens her eyes, and walks to the hay and starts eating. I can't say that I have ever had one do this before that was not about to drop a calf. The man I purchased her from gave me the date she gave birth last year. She is due April 3rd. This afternoon she was acting normal. Anyone ever had a cow that seemed to be talking to the calf inside way before they calve? I have never had an Angus to do this. I often have Angus to start humming the day that they will give birth as they begin to talk to the calf before it is born.

I hope that nothing is going wrong.

I feel better now that I hear some of you have humming cows as well. Maybe we could get them together and start a choir.

This was one of my humming cows.. she'd usually start about 2-3 months away from calving
20200313_115001 Prada twins.jpg

Those twins were hard work.. She was snoring here while she had a chance
Prada sleeping.jpg

What a great picture @Nesikep! I have always enjoyed looking at the pictures you posted of your cattle. They always seem to look healthy and happy. Now a days we are finding out that that makes a difference in the meat when you market it. But, it shows you enjoy your cattle. Such a nice place you have. I am glad to hear that she was humming before hand. Now that I am seeing she has twins, does this mean Louise is going to have twins? Ha-ha!! She was already pregnant before she got here, but, that is no prediction.

What are your twins? They are nice looking, thick calves. I hope you got two of the same sex.

What a great picture @Nesikep! I have always enjoyed looking at the pictures you posted of your cattle. They always seem to look healthy and happy. Now a days we are finding out that that makes a difference in the meat when you market it. But, it shows you enjoy your cattle. Such a nice place you have. I am glad to hear that she was humming before hand. Now that I am seeing she has twins, does this mean Louise is going to have twins? Ha-ha!! She was already pregnant before she got here, but, that is no prediction.

What are your twins? They are nice looking, thick calves. I hope you got two of the same sex.
they were different sexes.. We put her down 2 months ago.. be darned if she wasn't carrying twins again though.. she had a bad foot and couldn't walk anymore so it had to be done.
She wouldn't win any beauty contests, she was a kinda skinny/bony cow, but she sure made amazing daughters and granddaughters...

Oldest daughterIMG_20220526_103508_577 Zecca Zima.jpg

Her first calf at 205 days
20191014_135516 Zippy Zecca.jpg

2nd daughter as a bred heifer
20201114_102806 Dusty.jpg

Her last daughter
IMG_20221003_114025_398 Prada Kardi .jpg

Oh goodness, what a beautiful cow family. My Grandson told me he was going to get rid of some skinny cows. I told him that some of those skinny cows that he is not keeping up with what calf came from who, may be his best cows. I think one of the biggest, ugliest cows I had, produced some of our best cows. She was tall and lanky, but her genetic makeup was a factory for great heifers. I remember I posted her when she was a calf and said, "This is the ugliest heifer I have ever seen," and it may have been dun that told me not to judge her so quickly.
Sounds like that is what you had in your cow that you had to put down. I am sorry you had to put her down. That is hard, but good grief, she has beautiful calves. I would be saying, hang on to them because they too probably have the same ability to create magic like dear ole Mom. Her babies are such full bodied animals. You may have a choir out there before too long.

I find it not so often that the same cow can produce the same quality calf over and over again like your humming cow. I would hold on to her heifers as it really does run in cow families to be able to do that. I guess you already know that. But I had to come back and say it anyway. I can see someone putting a lot of pressure on you to part with them.

Oh goodness, what a beautiful cow family. My Grandson told me he was going to get rid of some skinny cows. I told him that some of those skinny cows that he is not keeping up with what calf came from who, may be his best cows. I think one of the biggest, ugliest cows I had, produced some of our best cows. She was tall and lanky, but her genetic makeup was a factory for great heifers. I remember I posted her when she was a calf and said, "This is the ugliest heifer I have ever seen," and it may have been dun that told me not to judge her so quickly.
Sounds like that is what you had in your cow that you had to put down. I am sorry you had to put her down. That is hard, but good grief, she has beautiful calves. I would be saying, hang on to them because they too probably have the same ability to create magic like dear ole Mom. Her babies are such full bodied animals. You may have a choir out there before too long.
What's kinda funny is that Hillsdown really didn't like her great-grandma (my first cow)Ugly Josie Hillsdown.JPG

Great grandma at about 14 years old
cows nov 14 05 007 Josie.jpg

Here's grandma at 16.. IMG_6910 Rosie crop.jpg

Momma at about 12
20170704_095816s.jpg

@Nesikep to be honest, the only thing that really throws that cow off is her horns because we are not used to seeing those, I find myself looking for her ears, but if you get to the cow, that is a 14 year old cow that looks pretty dang good to me. She has a good shoulder, deep heart girth, deep barrel. A really long hip. Bad legs? She is not lined up sideways with the camera, but she has a good angle to her back legs that we are missing now. I like the cow and with her being 14 years old I really like her. You had a good cow in the beginning and kept breeding her to a good bull. You can only go up from there. Still they are all good sound cows and it is fun to go back and see what you created. You took the cows, bred them up and that is what genetics are al about.

Great Grand Ma cow has a hip that is hard to get now. I see the hips getting shorter. Take her hip, vs a short hip cow and run them across the scale and then figure out where that 300 lb difference went. And she will give that to her calves. The Grandmother cow has that nice barrel that carries the capacity to hold a huge calf and all the food she want to eat, and she will go lay down and chew her cud the rest of the day.

Still, Great cow family and they can change your herd from this day forward. Heaver steer weights.
Such beautiful country.

@Nesikep to be honest, the only thing that really throws that cow off is her horns because we are not used to seeing those, I find myself looking for her ears, but if you get to the cow, that is a 14 year old cow that looks pretty dang good to me. She has a good shoulder, deep heart girth, deep barrel. A really long hip. Bad legs? She is not lined up sideways with the camera, but she has a good angle to her back legs that we are missing now. I like the cow and with her being 14 years old I really like her. You had a good cow in the beginning and kept breeding her to a good bull. You can only go up from there. Still they are all good sound cows and it is fun to go back and see what you created. You took the cows, bred them up and that is what genetics are al about.

Great Grand Ma cow has a hip that is hard to get now. I see the hips getting shorter. Take her hip, vs a short hip cow and run them across the scale and then figure out where that 300 lb difference went. And she will give that to her calves. The Grandmother cow has that nice barrel that carries the capacity to hold a huge calf and all the food she want to eat, and she will go lay down and chew her cud the rest of the day.

Still, Great cow family and they can change your herd from this day forward. Heaver steer weights.
Such beautiful country.
i just found a video of the daughter in the last pic with her first calf.. she hadn't quite figured out what to do yet, but she was nice to me

Latest posts