Cow wasn’t trying

Help Support CattleToday:

jschoolcraft86

Reaction score
So yesterday I stumbled upon a cow who was at her due date after an embryo transfer with a small water bag hanging out (picture below). She didn't appear to be pushing or even all that concerned. I waited and watched for about an hour or so and never saw any signs of labor but the water bag doesn't lie so I went ahead and felt around and eventually pulled the calf. The calf popped right out and ended up being a small heifer that was still alive. Has anyone else run into something like this? It was a first for me.

Attachments

• FDD3D8E2-5EEA-4490-89CF-A9F18A86784B.jpeg
    FDD3D8E2-5EEA-4490-89CF-A9F18A86784B.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 13
She was probably early labor , if you had seen that for over an hour in a mature cow you probably did right . I'm no vet bet I slept at a Holiday Inn more than once .

We had one a couple weeks ago. Water bag was out for about 4 hours. She wouldn't go for being driven to the corral. We went through all sorts fo stuff getting her caught. Given a choice she would certainly kill a person. Finally got her roped on both ends. One rope under the wheel of a Jeep the other tied to a tree. Knocked her down and sat on her head. B reached in and found both legs back. Straightened them out. Pulled the calf. She prolaped everything. I mean everything. I swear I saw her liver and one lung. Got her put back together but she didn't make the night. As B says they don't all live but they don't all die.

I had one with the water bag out and was contracting. Laid down for a little bit and then went into the pond and I started panicking. But in a little bit she got out and spit the calf out. Had another one that had the water bag out and was laying down. We were headed to town to have dinner so I thought that would be time for her to have it. Got back and she was up grazing. Then she started laying down for a little while and then standing up, laying down and standing up. Finally she headed to the woods and I went in the house. Gave her 30 minutes and still nothing. So I got my dad to come over and we were about to pull it. When he got there she starting moaning and carrying on so we gave her a little bit and BOOM a calf. The whole ordeal was at least 3 hours

Follow your instincts…is what I think. In our experience, we have found that often after an internal, to check all is progressing in the right direction, status of calf (meaning showing signs of life), colour and smell of membranes etc…if all good, we will leave for 15-30 minutes depending maybe longer if progress starts. That internal is often enough to get things moving along. My advice is cleanliness - always scrub in. Pain if your handling system and /or cow doesn't allow for a possible 2nd intervention if needed, to let them be for a bit extra time. So not for everyone to do that. Lol the calf thinks I better get out of here and mom says I better get to business or maybe like humans further manipulation/rupturing of those membranes kicks the hormones up enough to speed things along. And give yourself a break you had an embryo calf so that makes some difference too…a live calf is a live calf but a live embryo calf is extra important. All is well that ends well!!

A live calf beats a dead calf any time ;)
Follow your instincts…is what I think. In our experience, we have found that often after an internal, to check all is progressing in the right direction, status of calf (meaning showing signs of life), colour and smell of membranes etc…if all good, we will leave for 15-30 minutes depending maybe longer if progress starts. That internal is often enough to get things moving along. My advice is cleanliness - always scrub in. Pain if your handling system and /or cow doesn't allow for a possible 2nd intervention if needed, to let them be for a bit extra time. So not for everyone to do that. Lol the calf thinks I better get out of here and mom says I better get to business or maybe like humans further manipulation/rupturing of those membranes kicks the hormones up enough to speed things along. And give yourself a break you had an embryo calf so that makes some difference too…a live calf is a live calf but a live embryo calf is extra important. All is well that ends well!!
A live calf beats a dead calf every time ;)

A live calf beats a dead calf any time ;)

A live calf beats a dead calf every time ;)
Agreed - everytime. Lol our nerves always seem higher on embryos…idk why that is but it seems the way…it's like watching a pot boil…I may have worded it a bit wrong. You are correct a live calf is always the goal no matter.

Last edited: