Floods in Parts of Australia

Help Support CattleToday:

The cleanup continues in lots of parts of Australia, whilst parts of Victoria state await for the floodwaters reach them. In some areas it will be a week before the flood peak gets to them. I have never known for so much of the country to have had flood problems all at the one time. All the persons missing from the wall of water that hit south east Queensland have still not been found. The help from Australians to each other has been phenomenal. One more fence to fix on our place. City folk who buy land out in the country can be a nuisance at times, a " city neighbour " erected a fence with far too many wires across the main stream, to unravel the wires and fix the fence took us 6+ hours when it should have been no more than half an hour. The person who constructed the fence was country born and bred and should have known better or at least offered advice on its construction. We now await the next deluge. Very hot in lots of Australia the next few days.

It has been extremely hot. Summer has arrived with a vengeance.

I have finally let the cattle down below the house. They were saying rain again on Saturday, so if we get that we will probably flood again.

News today is the Prime Minister has annouced a Flood Levy, to go on Medicare.

the flooding continues still in parts of the north west of the state of Victoria. The town of Swan Hill is now surrounded by floodwaters. It is situated on the Murray River up river of Mildura the next town in the flood path.But thats 200 ks away and could take another 10 days or so to flood. Mildura is a short distance up stream of where the Darling River enters the Murray. The Darling is already in flood from water a couple of months or more ago. There is another wave of water coming down from up north hot on the heals of this one. Soon to be followed by another from Cyclone Anthony which crossed the coasta couple of days ago way up in the north of Queensland. Yet another problem coming for Queensland is the "super cyclone Yasi " that is bearing down on the Queensland coast. Authorities are very worried about this cyclone. It is very big and could influence lots of areas that had the bad flooding a few weeks back. It is very wide and could affect 500 ks out from its centre. That ends todays geography lesson from Australia. Our are ais very peaceful at the moment, just warm and settled. Not even a summer storm yet.

We have had one of those summer storms. Over 50 mm in 10 minutes. Rain going horizontal. Tin off the back of a small shed. A bigger shed is now just a heap on the ground. Water in the house roof and in the windows.

DSCF0457small.jpg

Yes, we are okay. We are in Qld, but lower than the cyclones. I think the fires are in Western Australia and Victoria is still in flood.

In comparison I baled last night. 174 round bales. I stopped, as it was so thick that I couldn't cut it all at once and some of it still needed to dry. It is just grass. We have just had a shower. If it clears up now and the sun comes out it will be okay to bale later after being raked.

Latest posts