The Earth moved in parts of Central and West Texas this afternoon

Help Support CattleToday:

Maybe it's the oil shifting around underground. Sort of like natural fracking.

I grew up in earthquake country. Earthquakes are really fun as long as nothing falls on you. You get used to them. Sitting at the dinner table and the forks and knives go skittering across the table. You just retrieve them and keep eating. But if there's thunder everybody runs outside to see the lightning. At least they did in my neighborhood.

One morning my sister and her husband in LA were getting ready for work. He was shaving and she was in the shower. A big one hit. Kelly grabbed Lesley, who grabbed a robe, to run outside. Everybody on the street was outside in front of their houses. Lesley looked at Kelly and said Kelly, your naked! He grabbed her robe trying to pull it off her and cover himself with. Then he regained his senses. The brick chimney had fallen.

One time I was staying at their house. They had a grumpy elderly husky dog that likes to crawl under the bed to take naps. I was having a nap and woke up with the bed shaking. That darn dog and I leaned down to look under the bed- no dog. So I ran out into the hall and held on by doorframes. It was a rolling swaying motion and a roaring noise, kind of like being in the hallway of a passenger train.

Where I live now in Oregon is on the Subduction Zone. The Pacific Plate is sliding under the Continental plate, thats what wrinkled up the Coast Range. The subduction zone has been locked and estimated over due to bust by 350 years. What happens when it gives is the whole landscape shakes, rears up then drops by 20 feet. You have to earthquake proof your house, bracket everything that could fall and put a restraint on your water heater, but why?

You have to earthquake proof your house, bracket everything that could fall and put a restraint on your water heater, but why?
So it doesn't run away and out in to the street. This is still America and in America, no one has to put up with an unruly water heater that won't stay home..

I continue to question the thinking of people who think that 'earthquake proof' is something we can actually design and rely on when put up against a force that literally can, and does, tear the very earth itself apart. And then, after the fact, they want to sue the engineer that created the design, because it didn't hold up, in spite of the fact that the very ground the structure was on has been rearranged like a jigsaw puzzle. Maybe the engineer CAN be sued......... for 'false advertising'?

I continue to question the thinking of people who think that 'earthquake proof' is something we can actually design and rely on when put up against a force that literally can, and does, tear the very earth itself apart. And then, after the fact, they want to sue the engineer that created the design, because it didn't hold up, in spite of the fact that the very ground the structure was on has been rearranged like a jigsaw puzzle. Maybe the engineer CAN be sued......... for 'false advertising'?
Maybe earthquake resistant is a better term.

Anyone can be sued, providing the plaintiff can find a judge to hear the case.
Winning, is a different story.

I've been hearing news reports of several earthquakes the last week or so here in Western KY... We're kind of on the eastern extent of the New Madrid Fault... but none were strong enough for me to have noticed...

I've been hearing news reports of several earthquakes the last week or so here in Western KY... We're kind of on the eastern extent of the New Madrid Fault... but none were strong enough for me to have noticed...
Me neither. It's been a few years since we had a noticeable one.

Latest posts