Floods in Parts of Australia

Help Support CattleToday:

Australian

Reaction score
Northern New England Region, Tenterfield NSW Austr
What crazy weather we are having in parts of Australia. Dry and drought in Western Australia and floods in inland Eastern Australia. There is flooding in the three eastern seabord states, all west of the Great Dividing Range stretching form Central Queensland down to Victoria. The worst affected is our state of New South Wales. Every river from Border to Border ( north and south) have significant runs in them. The worst affected are the Castlereagh,Macquarie and Murrumbidgee. many people have left their homes. This flooding follows on from flooding a few weeks back and earlier this year. farmers were looking to their best grain crops for years, many were about to harvest. At our place up in the mountains we have just had misty showery stuff. No damage yet.

The flooding continues. Another ban dof rain has come across dropping another two to four inches over parts that were already flooded and a few new places as well. % states are now experincing some degree of flooding. The only two areas that don't have any are The Northern Territory and Western Australia. 2 people have drowned and they are still looking for a vehicle with an unknown number in it in Queensland. All these drownings could have been prevented. They were vehicles washed of roadways through watercourses. The vehicle they are searching for actually drove around cars waiting at a flooded causeway. Lots of grain crops have been lost. We have so much grass here at our place that the cattle can't keep ahead of it.

Hey Colin

Any of the rivers down your way like the Svern or the Mole in flood?

We have so much grass here at our place that the cattle can't keep ahead of it.

We're the same. It's a nice problem to have.

Andrew

All the rivers have a run on them, but not in flood yet. We'll wait and see the next few days will tell with the 4 to 5 inches received over Victoria and Southern NSW last night and today. Its on the way. Look out over the next few months when the proper summer rains come. Everything is full down toward the coast and on the tablelands. I think its getting back to the normal cycle. Remember back in the 60's where we would be flooded in every January for a few days. Thats when I lived lower down on the Clarence Valley, now I'm further up stream.

Still raining had another 30 mls overnight and during today. Gully roaring over the rocks to the east of our house. Was going to go and do some floodgates today but thats on hold till later days. We had a whole two dry days. Its was nice to see the bright sunshine. Flooding still continues out west and down south and up north. many many places won't have their flood peaks till towards Christmas Day ( two weeks away) It takes so long to run over the flat country out west unlike up here in the mountains. Worse will come over the next few months as we are about to start our wet season and everything is filled up. Coastal communities will need to be vigilant as they are the most flood prone. many new comers to the favoured coastal areas may never have seen a proper big flood. Lots of new homes have been built on previously flooded land albeit built up behind levee banks. They need to see how the people of New Orleans fared behind levees. They are only as good as the first leak in them.

Australian":zw0vjk50 said:
Worse will come over the next few months as we are about to start our wet season and everything is filled up.
Do you know what weather is forecast for the rest of the season? This all sounds very frightning.

What a few nice days without much rain. Theres more on the way. There is a huge cloudmass coming straight through the middle of Australia from a tropical low in Western Australia. Its already dumped more than ten inches on the coast and some of the inland of WA. The middle of the country has had its wettest year on record, it's predominately desert most of the time. We are jst over 40 inches for the year so far, which is about 4/5 inches above our supposed average. Can't get into the yards to do any cattle work, still too muddy.

We were supposed to get 10 - 20 mm yesterday and 40 - 80 mm today, so I fed out round bales, because if we flood again it is too wet to do so and they tell me they are starving when the grass is covered in water.

The 10 - 20 mm didn't eventuate for us yesterday. So far we have had a few pitter patters on the roof, but nothing to write home about. Of course we don't have to have any rain to flood and we are totally vulnerable now.

We are in Queensland.

It sounds a bit more serious on the roof now.

crazy weather in our beautiful country. Just read where Carnarvon in Western Australia had it's yearly rainfall in one day. At our place it's gone back to winter, blowing a gale and about 10 degrees at present, wind chill less than that. Supposed to be summer, it should be about 20 at this time of the day. had a meagre 3 mls instead of the 50+ forecast, but that doesn't matter at all.

We are under water again. I hitched a ride over the flooded bridge with a neighbour.

:( It looks like another death on the news. 2 guys fishing and decided to jump in. One made it out, they are looking for the other.

Crazy weather down to zero at Glen Innes this morning, 3 in Tenterfield, about 5 at our place. Nice and sunny and it should warm up all right today. Notices a fair bit of cloud starting to form up in the Gulf, a bit ominous like the start of a cyclone over the next few days. But thats about 2,000 ks away.
waitng on the grain truck with a load of poultry feed, to keep us going. Our chooks are laying like machines at the moment, they are all free range the way we like them.

Australian":3myxlmpx said:
We are in a La Nina cycle. Forecast is for lots of rain till March/April next year.

La Nina is causing wild weird weather everywhere... We've already received almost 3 foot of snow for this fall (11-12 more inches today alone)-which is 2+ foot more than normal- and this northeast part of the State has been locked in a deep freeze "Little Siberia"...

10 degrees F Below already tonight with about a 30 Below chill factor...

I only hope the tractor will start in the morning so we can start plowing out- again...

I see where Northern Europe- Britain and the Baltic states are having the coldest December on record for years...My sister just got back from another visit in Norway- and said it was the coldest weather she'd ever experienced there...

Right now up here in northeast Siberia- er I mean Montana ;-) the temp is 5 Below down here in the valley- with 20-25 mph East wind making an awful nippy chill factor of 30-35 Below... And we have about 2 foot of snow on the level-- making getting around a little difficult....

Right now up here in northeast Siberia- er I mean Montana the temp is 5 Below down here in the valley- with 20-25 mph East wind making an awful nippy chill factor of 30-35 Below... And we have about 2 foot of snow on the level-- making getting around a little difficult....

Yikes!!! Sounds like a good day to do some office work.

Andrew

Latest posts