Floods in Parts of Australia

Help Support CattleToday:

We are fine here thanks alisonb.

I am so sick and tired of being covered in mud. We went down yesterday afternoon and hubby fixed up the gate that the post had been sucked out for. We removed our fence from there as next door had replaced it on their side with an electric fence. Which will be GREAT when the electric fence is working, but won't work at all when it isn't.

I went along and put wire on all the insulators as they were all cut by the fence wire. Once it was all up I went to put the electricity on that paddock. But alas it was no longer testing at 4000 volts. So I ended up walking around the paddock that was working the day before.

I found the culprit right on dark. It is now testing at 7000 volts!!! I took a step in the mud and when I took the next one, my boot was stuck and I couldn't move it and I ended up going over. Hands out to save myself which had the fence tester in one and down on one knee. ARGH!!!!

I had to walk up like that. I cleaned up the tester and me in the bathroom and put my clothes straight in the washing machine.

... and now the weather is saying a lot of rain coming :GAH: Once I get the electricty on this paddock, I will not continue to do the others. It might all be for nothing.

I don't like the sound of more rain coming. I have friends that are located near the Weir River north west of Goondiwindi, they think that the water will get just underneath the house but it will come into the house should the big falls happen in the next few days. We are very high and dry no probs here.

It is unfair Keren, though there are dry parts right out in western Queensland. These bad floods may well make Queensland council rethink where they allow homes to be built and may lead to a levee system being built around Rockhampton. Sure makes a difference when 75,000 plus population is affected as opposed to just a few hundred in a small town. I posted a question on facebook just to ask a question of Emerald ( central highlands of Queensland town ) residents why their regional council allowed people to build beautiful new homes on the flood plain? Boy I got some queer responses like "its years since its flooded like this" "don't tell us where we should build our houses", we don't tell you where to build your houses in bushfire prone areas" Most were sensible answers but, people that spent lots of money building their homes should really have done a bit more research before they build. I did say on facebook that in our state you are not permitted to build on the flood plain unless your home is elevated. If you look at the pictures of Rockhamptons floods, most of the homes that are flooded are elevated old homes and it is a very big flood. Just hope they don't get more rain on top of whats already been.

I have had trouble trying to push the pigtails into the ground above the house. Today is the first day of the forecast rain, it started about half an hour ago, just light and steady..... so far.

Sunny with a few sprinkles here today. Been fixing fences, gullies are still to high to do a proper job fight across. Just doing enough to baulk them. The Bruxner Highway to the west of Tenterfield is closed by water after the torrent that went through town yesterday. Our water goes east into the Clarence system. Keep dry Suzie.

The rain stopped us doing much today. We managed to pull round bales down and roll them by hand as I managed to bog the David Brown yesterday............ TWICE!!!

We didn't get that much here, but according to the radar we were the only ones. We were in the middle with nothing and there was rain all around us. So it depends how much they received upstream. The creek is quite full so it won't take much for us to be flooded in the morning, as it takes 12 hours to get here.

It is so catastrophic for such a lovely city and surrounds. I have never seen rain like this in our area and other parts of our beautiful country. Still pouring rain here. They now have a major floodwarning for the Clarence Valley. People went to bed in Grafton the largest population place in the valley thinking it was to be a minor flood. Shame they didn't do a bit of a ring around the upper valley areas where we live just to find out how much rain has fallen. There has been major flooding in our tributary all yesterday. The water is still half a metre over our main bridge and the causeways on other roads are closed. We are still cut off. Thankfully my mother and my sister who live in Grafton are already packed up as they move to our high town of Tenterfield in a few weeks time. Should the levee be over topped it will put at least two metres of water into the bottom floor of their elevated unit. The floods have not entered Grafton since 1967 because of the levee bank around the city. But alas in their wisdom they built the bank to 25 feet 2 inches but the mighty Clarence ( size of the Mississippi from 40 ks upstream) jas reached 27 foot before. Lots of flood mitigation has been done over the years but no dams have been erected across it. Should Grafton be flooded it might change the tune of people on the Clarence about the erection of a dam upstream to divert all the wasted water out to western areas. The Wivenhoe dam upstream has protected Brisbane for a long time now. I hear its currently 150%. There will be some flooding in lower parts of Brisbane this time round. We have had 5 and a quarter inches since yesterday morning and it is still raining.

The Wivenhoe Dam is over capacity and megalitres are still flowing into it daily, so they are releasing megalitres.

They are calling what hit Toowoomba and Instant Internal Tsunami. Houses were ripped off stumps, cars were washed away. They are now saying 7 dead and 4 of them were children. They have no idea how many people are missing as they don't know if there were people in the cars and houses that washed away.

Latest posts