Fintry of Graham 47539

Help Support CattleToday:

I seen him in stud a few years back and hoped to get semen on the bull but didn't qualify for export.

I can't believe that a bull like this doesn't get more people fired up rather than the flat necked, no good bulls that "are" going to change the world.

C'est la vie!

SEC":vt6nzygx said:
I seen him in stud a few years back and hoped to get semen on the bull but didn't qualify for export.

I can't believe that a bull like this doesn't get more people fired up rather than the flat necked, no good bulls that "are" going to change the world.

C'est la vie!

Phenotypically very, very good. If MikeC is consistant with his comments he should say this bull isn't typically angus ;-)

SEC":9l1i78o9 said:
Frankie":9l1i78o9 said:
beef":9l1i78o9 said:
I'm interested in any comments on this bull:

http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php? ... 37&lang=EN

His EPD for IMF is negative.

Without sounding patronizing, is that a sarcastic comment or a negative comment.?

:eek: Neither one. It's a fact, based on the link provided. As I see the bull, like most bulls, he has some good qualities and some not so good qualities. Used on the right cows, he might be great. That's the advantage of AI, you can put him on cows that he will compliment and use other bulls on cows he might not work with so well.

Right, single trait selection we shouldn't use him. :) If he is positive for imf, nothing else matters. What would be his negatives and positives Frankie?

KMacGinley":iwos8k60 said:
Right, single trait selection we shouldn't use him. :)

Can you read? I never said one way or another that he should or not use the bull. He asked for comments; I gave him one. Where's yours?

My comment would be that he could do a lot of good for a lot of people based on what I see in his epd profile and on display pheno typically. The people specifically would be anyone with precision or 036 breeding in their herd.

Frankie":il6uvxvi said:
KMacGinley":il6uvxvi said:

Can you read? I never said one way or another that he should or not use the bull. He asked for comments; I gave him one. Where's yours?

:) :) :) :) I guess that you could infer that I think he is pretty good based on my comment to you, so that is my comment, and I guess I can read.

KMacGinley":sp93tqat said:
Frankie":sp93tqat said:
KMacGinley":sp93tqat said:

:) :) :) :) I guess that you could infer that I think he is pretty good based on my comment to you, so that is my comment, and I guess I can read.

Yeah. After you edited your comment. ROTFL. Your comment to me was a sarcastic insulting personal slam.

And I see your FINAL commenton the bull as more a slam on specific Angus bloodlines than an endorsement of this particular bull. You are having a bad day here, aren't you? :lol:

Frankie":3ear1znl said:
SEC":3ear1znl said:
Frankie":3ear1znl said:
beef":3ear1znl said:
I'm interested in any comments on this bull:

http://genex.crinet.com/beef/index.php? ... 37&lang=EN

Without sounding patronizing, is that a sarcastic comment or a negative comment.?

:eek: Neither one. It's a fact, based on the link provided. As I see the bull, like most bulls, he has some good qualities and some not so good qualities. Used on the right cows, he might be great. That's the advantage of AI, you can put him on cows that he will compliment and use other bulls on cows he might not work with so well.

Are you kidding, you know as well as I do the difference between 0 on IMF and .5 is next to nothing!

Why does anyone even need to look at his EPD's to decide that they could use this bull. Just look at him, he's masculine, correct and looks to be average muscle. If you take the middle of the road you aren't likely to hit the ditch!!!!

Frankie":l3gakbzb said:
KMacGinley":l3gakbzb said:
Frankie":l3gakbzb said:
KMacGinley":l3gakbzb said:

Yeah. After you edited your comment. ROTFL. Your comment to me was a sarcastic insulting personal slam.

And I see your FINAL commenton the bull as more a slam on specific Angus bloodlines than an endorsement of this particular bull. You are having a bad day here, aren't you? :lol:

A sarcastic insulting personal slam? Like can you read? When the American Angus assoc. tells you what to say next, let us all know. Now that was a sarcastic insulting personal slam. :D

He's not suffering condition wise but he looks good to me-I'd like to personally check out his feet before I bred a 100 cows to him but I like his EPD's-maybe a touch milky for me. I sell on a carcass grid and to be honest carcass epd's are a ways down the list for me. The average Jersey marbles better than most Angus trait leaders and winters better too.

When people start taking things personally it makes me wonder why. On this thread or any other.

Walt

Northern Rancher":3pkf7jll said:
He's not suffering condition wise but he looks good to me-I'd like to personally check out his feet before I bred a 100 cows to him but I like his EPD's-maybe a touch milky for me. I sell on a carcass grid and to be honest carcass epd's are a ways down the list for me. The average Jersey marbles better than most Angus trait leaders and winters better too.

I find it interesting that you would say a Jersey would winter better. I am not saying they don't but how do you figure this?

We had a Jersey nurse cow that would raise 2 or 3 extra calves-twins and such. She wintered with the beef cows and took winter as good or better than some of the Angus. I also have the unique pleasure of having a bunch of brahma cross rodeo cows that run out in the winter with the rest. Some of those 'modern' angus cows don't winter any better than that old Jersey or those rodeo cows. A pretty fair test strip I'm thinking-mind you they are weeding out pretty fast-I don't have too many warm blankets and hot soup for cows that can't run on forage.

SEC":4r613og6 said:
Why does anyone even need to look at his EPD's to decide that they could use this bull. Just look at him, he's masculine, correct and looks to be average muscle. If you take the middle of the road you aren't likely to hit the ditch!!!!

You would use this bull based on just his picture? Seriously? You don't want to see how he moves, any of his calves, his actual WW, BW?

Frankie":1uqqhzwj said:

I was more interested in comments from people who had seen him or his calves. He is not an IMF EPD improver. His EPDs are unique in that he combines above average growth with mature ht and wt EPDs that are far below average. He is also ranked high for $W and $EN. His sire and grandsire made a good showing in the new heifer pregnancy EPD evaluation. On paper, these are traits that are desirable in cows. I'm curious about teat and udder quality. I've seen some of his half sisters and thought they were pretty good. You could breed his daughters to whatever high IMF bull you choose and have cattle to sell that are above average IMF.

beef":1aibf8vi said:
Frankie":1aibf8vi said:

I was more interested in comments from people who had seen him or his calves. He is not an IMF EPD improver. His EPDs are unique in that he combines above average growth with mature ht and wt EPDs that are far below average. He is also ranked high for $W and $EN. His sire and grandsire made a good showing in the new heifer pregnancy EPD evaluation. On paper, these are traits that are desirable in cows. I'm curious about teat and udder quality. I've seen some of his half sisters and thought they were pretty good. You could breed his daughters to whatever high IMF bull you choose and have cattle to sell that are above average IMF.

That's why I wouldn't suggest one way or another about using him. Many bulls have some good and bad qualities that can be compensated for by the cow's input. His accuracies are also not as high as I'd like, though he's a '99 model.

But for some strange reason, I think that Angus bulls should marble, at least breed average. :)

Sorry. I haven't seen any calves by him or any of his sons on test.