Finally found some more cows

Help Support CattleToday:

j&lfarms

Reaction score
I may have to cull one or two out of the group, but they are pretty good cows from what I can tell. I bought 8 cows and 7 calves. The calves look good a healthy and the cows are calm and gentle for the most part. I believe they will work out just fine. Here are some pics, I'll try and get some more in the next week or so.

Besides looking at the udder, eyes, mouth, and feet, healthy, calm, and gental are the biggest factors for me. A cow can look great, but if it its going to try and kill you or run through 8 fences and 3 rivers when you step in the feild she isn't one I want.

j&lfarms":33bb8xol said:
Besides looking at the udder, eyes, mouth, and feet, healthy, calm, and gental are the biggest factors for me. A cow can look great, but if it its going to try and kill you or run through 8 fences and 3 rivers when you step in the feild she isn't one I want.

I completely agree with you on that. I'm not having any chasers. Meaning anything that I have to chase or anything that chases me! There are to many good cows out there to put up with that.
Nice looking cows but I really like that bwf in the second picture.

Very nice! I'm still learning about training calves to make them friendly but not pushy. I started with my first two calves, I bottle raised both and petted / touched my Holstein way too much, she got so pushy I had to get rid of her. I could hardly stay in the pen with her to do my chores. I'm trying not to touch my Jersey very much and when I do she starts to get pushy. The other day I had to spray her with a hose to calm her down, that seemed to do the trick for awhile, but tonight she was getting a little pushy again. It's a fine balance to get them friendly but not pushy, especially since I'm in the arena with my cows when I feed the other animals. At one point I had to separate the arena in half when I had my Holstein, but I've since taken down the divider.

Deepsouth":1yo3pdpy said:
j&lfarms":1yo3pdpy said:

I completely agree with you on that. I'm not having any chasers. Meaning anything that I have to chase or anything that chases me! There are to many good cows out there to put up with that.
Nice looking cows but I really like that bwf in the second picture.
Agree. Looks like a nice group. Hope they give you some nice calves.

j&lfarms":18qj7w9e said:
I like the bwf too, but she is just a hair skittish. That might be enough to make me sell her and her calf.

I had noticed in the other pictures that the she was in the back. I was wondering if she was going to get culled because of that. There's nothing wrong with skittish as long as they're not jump the fence wild. I have some cows that will eat out of my hand and some that won't let me get closer than 40 feet but most are between these two extremes. I like it like this. It actually helps me when i'm working them. I can actually separate cows in the pasture because of this. If they were all trying to come right up to me all at the same time it would not only be harder to separate them but dangerous as well. Frankly I find the cows that come right up to me to be more aggravating than the skittish ones. This is what the guys who posted above are saying. I would have a hard time culling a nice looking cow just because I can't scratch her ears. Good cows are hard to find right now.

cchardwick":1nrdo043 said:
Very nice! I'm still learning about training calves to make them friendly but not pushy. I started with my first two calves, I bottle raised both and petted / touched my Holstein way too much, she got so pushy I had to get rid of her. I could hardly stay in the pen with her to do my chores. I'm trying not to touch my Jersey very much and when I do she starts to get pushy. The other day I had to spray her with a hose to calm her down, that seemed to do the trick for awhile, but tonight she was getting a little pushy again. It's a fine balance to get them friendly but not pushy, especially since I'm in the arena with my cows when I feed the other animals. At one point I had to separate the arena in half when I had my Holstein, but I've since taken down the divider.

Try smacking them pretty hard on the nose when they get pushy. Don't punch them as hard as you can or anything, but you do want to let them know not to mess with you. If you just hit them really hard with your hand open, you should be fine.

Latest posts