Eastern Redcedar Control - Bow Saw vs. Chainsaw (Do I need a Chainsaw)

Help Support CattleToday:

Re: chaps, how come they omit part of the back leg?

This looks like good stuff from Labonville:

Competition Wrap Chaps

570H Helmet Safety System

Get some kind of vibration proof gloves

Looks like Elvex has vest, need to order most of this stuff online:

Ok I'm going to be a gear junkie and that stuff is going to be freaking hot in 95 degree hot (try to do my tree removal before the heat of the day anyways) but going to be safe as possible.

BRYANT":3h3bze5p said:
This thread is a joke NECowboy is having fun with people on here trying to see how far he can lead people on. just my 2 cents on what he is doing. if all he has said was true he needs to sell his land and go back to town, and that's putting it nicely.

This is a beginner forum idiot, I don't come from a frickin farm background so asking y'all for questions on here. If you don't like beginners asking questions don't post, go post on the advance forum. Nope love my land and learning the ropes without the derision of a-holes like yourself. Appreciate the real responses.

Didn't mean to sound stupid on chainsaw just wondering how much faster, better it cuts than Sawzall (of course it's going to cut faster than Sawzall). I'm not LCCattle posting with an agenda to get people all riled up.

NEC in all seriousness buy you a chain saw!!!! a sawsall has its place and I use mine quite often when I need to just cut a limb and im standing on the canopy of my tractor or ive lifted the FEL and climbed up on the forks . It easier to handle and easy to cut because the cut opens and does not pinch . for cutting trees off an the base you need a saw that will handle the job. They are no more dangerous than using a skil saw table saw or handling rattlesnakes.

greybeard":3jhmuwqy said:
Ya notice he's always grinning in his vids--even the Husky video. The man enjoys his work!!

I did notice he seems to be a pretty happy guy while working

NECowboy":13kubx2b said:
Update y'all - borrowed a Sawzall M18 with Lithium-Ion battery with nine inch blade from a friend this past weekend. Used two batteries and they probably got about 1 hour of continuous charge - ok but not great.

This is example of something I cut, probably took a couple minutes between de-limbing with Sawzall and different trunks.

Would it be a lot faster with chainsaw? Trees that had 8-12 inch trunk I had to cut to the middle on one end and then cut to the middle on the other. I would think chainsaw with at least 18 inch bar would make short work of this.

Anyone use combo of loppers, Sawzall etc AND chainsaw to cut trees or chainsaw not overkill for the delimbing part either?

Needless to say loved the Sawzall, the bowsaw has me sweating and cussing and slow going. Told my wife how unpractical bowsaw is and it's changed her opinion. If I do get chainsaw (going to borrow one from my bro-in-law and bro-in-law is going to show me how to use it) going to invest in chaps, steel toe boots, helmet/visor etc to keep safe. Big difference between safety of recip saw and chainsaw particularly where recip saw's blade is only on the cutting side and the chainsaw blade can kill you from both sides of it.

Invest in a 12 inch blade with some teeth on it.... ;-) Can't really tell but that looks like a bi-metal blade. They make a longer blade that has better wood cutting teeth.
https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-12-Inch-De ... all+blades

Wow...this one might work on larger stuff better than smaller

https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-RP125-12-I ... all+blades

YES A CHAIN SAW WILL BE EASIER , HeII If I was closer Id come cut the dang thangs for ya. :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: buy a chain saw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M-5":v8kxskm1 said:
YES A CHAIN SAW WILL BE EASIER , HeII If I was closer Id come cut the dang thangs for ya. :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: :bang: buy a chain saw!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

M-5 what you got for a chainsaw?

Jonsred 2172 I think it is I'll have to look when I get home. Ive owned several and had good service out of cheap poulan and craftsman's. When I bought this bigger saw a few yrs ago I gave cheap saws to my sons

NECowboy":2to8o265 said:
Most people don;t sit on chainsaws or cut behind their back

callmefence":3512o2eg said:
dun":3512o2eg said:
NECowboy":3512o2eg said:
Most people don;t sit on chainsaws or cut behind their back

Incorrect..if they put the back leg part in they wouldn't be chaps. They would be pants.
:cboy:

True that, I have suede chaps didn't even think about that!

NECowboy":1opp3wd9 said:
BRYANT":1opp3wd9 said:
This thread is a joke NECowboy is having fun with people on here trying to see how far he can lead people on. just my 2 cents on what he is doing. if all he has said was true he needs to sell his land and go back to town, and that's putting it nicely.

This is a beginner forum idiot, I don't come from a frickin farm background so asking y'all for questions on here. If you don't like beginners asking questions don't post, go post on the advance forum. Nope love my land and learning the ropes without the derision of a-holes like yourself. Appreciate the real responses.

am a idiot :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: that's funny
still think this is a fake topic, we see them all the time.

BRYANT":3izi709i said:
NECowboy":3izi709i said:
BRYANT":3izi709i said:

am a idiot :banana: :banana: :banana: :banana: that's funny
still think this is a fake topic, we see them all the time.

Yeah well everyone else that's posted and been great are making you look bad. I guess I don't care if you think it's fake you go on thinking that like I said I have no agenda and agree on the number of fake topics on here. Guess in time you'll know that I'm not about asking fake questions and that I may sound stupid now but we were all beginners once.

I don't know about Nebraska but here in Oklahoma there is all kinds of government programs that help you with removal of cedars. They pay pretty good and you may be able to hire someone to cut them and not be out much if any money your self. Have someone cut and pile then you do the burning . With no more than you have someone with a setup like mine can cut and pile them in not to long. Just an idea ???
good day

M-5":33sy185b said:
:lol: :lol: easy M5......don't hurt something. :lol:

But I think I'm going to get me some of these.
https://www.amazon.com/Bosch-RP125-12-I ... all+blades

BRYANT":37x3ij7x said:
I don't know about Nebraska but here in Oklahoma there is all kinds of government programs that help you with removal of cedars. They pay pretty good and you may be able to hire someone to cut them and not be out much if any money your self. Have someone cut and pile then you do the burning . With no more than you have someone with a setup like mine can cut and pile them in not to long. Just an idea ???
good day

Not paying someone to do something I could do myself so yeah will end up getting chainsaw for other stuff. Skidsteer would be nice but til I build feedlot and corrals at property no use for it just yet. Some of trees are on quite a slope anyways so need to get in there by hand.

Actually, bow saw and chainsaw are entirely different tools. If you need to saw a tree, a chainsaw is an obvious choice. For hiking and camping, a bow saw is the only option because of its portability and weight, and gas bow saws are a better choice because they don't throttle as much as throttles a regular chainsaw.

Here's a good guide on how to choose a good bow sawhttps://bestoutdooritems.com/best-bow-saw/ and affordable chainsaws https://mechanicguides.com/best-chainsaws-under-500/. Also here's a video https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yf-XSqHz148

Latest posts