Eastern Redcedar Control - Bow Saw vs. Chainsaw (Do I need a Chainsaw)

Help Support CattleToday:

M-5":21isvg98 said:
So you bought a bow saw instead of a chain saw ..........................My sponsor says I should keep my mouth shut !

Oh snap--I thought he had bought this kind of bow saw--never mind.......
hqdefault.jpg

Ol' 243":7bb3177o said:
I can't imagine my wife telling me not to buy a chainsaw, if she did, I'd go buy everyone in a 50 mile radius. Already got 4, but I'd own at least 50
I've got about 8 running saws, and another 8 'projects'.. all of them have had some decent work on the internals... they snarl and throw chips like a beaver on steroids...

Here's my Husky 61, which in most cases would handle a 20" bar.. it's got a 34" on it here.. it's a handful of fun :)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xIk8tc20L7g

greybeard":2o05he3y said:
M-5":2o05he3y said:
So you bought a bow saw instead of a chain saw ..........................My sponsor says I should keep my mouth shut !

Oh snap--I thought he had bought this kind of bow saw--never mind.......
hqdefault.jpg

I had no doubts about what kind of bow saw he got.. Bahco is a very good one though..
I'd like to try a bow bar on a saw, never seen them in these parts though

Nesikep":2bbtuvek said:
Ol' 243":2bbtuvek said:
I can't imagine my wife telling me not to buy a chainsaw, if she did, I'd go buy everyone in a 50 mile radius. Already got 4, but I'd own at least 50
I've got about 8 running saws, and another 8 'projects'.. all of them have had some decent work on the internals... they snarl and throw chips like a beaver on steroids...

Here's my Husky 61, which in most cases would handle a 20" bar.. it's got a 34" on it here.. it's a handful of fun :)

Pretty impressive Nesi! I was a bit in disbelief until seeing video.
What? No gloves? I was just glad you had boots on in this video!

Have you tried using your cell phone with gloves?? I can't stand gloves except for the cold (I think I mentioned that already though).. I'll tackle barbed wire bare-handed any day

Nesikep":3fhm4c92 said:
Have you tried using your cell phone with gloves?? I can't stand gloves except for the cold (I think I mentioned that already though).. I'll tackle barbed wire bare-handed any day

I was busting your chops because of all the previous 'glove talk' on this topic.

Nesikep":wmt8i5pg said:
Ol' 243":wmt8i5pg said:

Very impressive nesiiikip. ;-) . I'm real proud of the boots. :nod:
I work alot without gloves. Can't ever find the dam things .

Nesikep":24gmuvuc said:
Ol' 243":24gmuvuc said:

Cool video, trees generally not nearly that thickness around here. Love my carhartt leather gloves, not too heavy or hot and still easy to use cell phone, keeps sap off hands, barbs etc. to each his own. Have an insulated pair for the winter months.

What's the big deal about nesikep wearing boots, do u usually use chainsaw with sandals? Important thing in my mind is traction. Although usually wear leather soled cowboy boots for riding or cuz they look better when going out somewhere nice got pair of timberlands with thick grippy soles for spraying on slopes, my bow sawing, fence work, hiking etc. Leather soles i slip and fall on my butt on any kind of incline and that could be a disaster with an active running chainsaw esp with 34 inch bar.

I do just about everything on the farm in a pair of leather gloves. My arthritis seems to bother me less, when I do.

NECowboy":upyv23b7 said:
What's the big deal about nesikep wearing boots, do u usually use chainsaw with sandals? Important thing in my mind is traction. Although usually wear leather soled cowboy boots for riding or cuz they look better when going out somewhere nice got pair of timberlands with thick grippy soles for spraying on slopes, my bow sawing, fence work, hiking etc. Leather soles i slip and fall on my butt on any kind of incline and that could be a disaster with an active running chainsaw esp with 34 inch bar.

Nesi posted a video a while back, where he jumps up on the back of one of his bulls barefooted and fires few rounds out of a rifle. Yes, standing barefoot on the bull (I believe it was a bull if memory serves). Hence, some of us enjoying Nesi wearing boots. Again, just giving him some guff. Btw, the video of him on the bull is something you should watch.

It's a hobby of mine.. get a bunch of junkers and clunkers and make something out of them.. I've had a few 394's, big brutes of a saw, but if you can lug them around they'll get work done. a 60ish cc saw is a nice size.. big enough to handle a 24" bar and get through most trees, not so heavy they wear you out though.. It may be the least specific saw size.. not the best at anything but can do most everything... On Arboristsite, they have a "3 saw plan", which usually consists of a little tophandle 35cc saw for pruning, a 50ish CC saw for bigger limbs and smaller trees, and an 75+ cc saw for the heavy work.

This old saw (Husky L65) used to be a rather boring saw to run.. it would kinda just chug through the tree while you drank a coffee... it got a LOT of internal modifications, as well as carb and exhaust, I think I close to doubled the power on it from 3.5hp to about 5.5.. it's actually an effective machine now
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMqUESZUwXU

Nesikep":1uxtk5o6 said:
I think Skyhightree would run the saw in flipflops :p
Maybe Skyhightree could go help NECowboy cut them cedars or at least show him how to run the chainsaw. :lol2: :lol2:

NECowboy":381rd45x said:
backhoeboogie":381rd45x said:
But, he has no experience with a chainsaw!

Its like swimming. You can't go swimming EVER until you learn how to swim.

I doubt it's rocket science, have used a log splitter, auger, power drills, nail gun before.

If you've used those and still have all your body parts you should be okay with a chain saw. I agree that a 16" should be adequate for what you're doing.

And for what it's worth, my wife doesn't tell me what I can and can't do. And I don't tell her what she can and can't do. We're both adults.

BRYANT":ei1sq1gt said:
Nesikep":ei1sq1gt said:
I think Skyhightree would run the saw in flipflops :p
Maybe Skyhightree could go help NECowboy cut them cedars or at least show him how to run the chainsaw. :lol2: :lol2:
I'm trying to picture Sky, obviously with hardhat, face shield, ear muffs, chaps and gloves and pink flipflops :p

bball":11cjshyw said:
NECowboy":11cjshyw said:

Nesi posted a video a while back, where he jumps up on the back of one of his bulls barefooted and fires few rounds out of a rifle. Yes, standing barefoot on the bull (I believe it was a bull if memory serves). Hence, some of us enjoying Nesi wearing boots. Again, just giving him some guff. Btw, the video of him on the bull is something you should watch.
Ya notice he's always grinning in his vids--even the Husky video. The man enjoys his work!!

Update y'all - borrowed a Sawzall M18 with Lithium-Ion battery with nine inch blade from a friend this past weekend. Used two batteries and they probably got about 1 hour of continuous charge - ok but not great.

This is example of something I cut, probably took a couple minutes between de-limbing with Sawzall and different trunks.

Would it be a lot faster with chainsaw? Trees that had 8-12 inch trunk I had to cut to the middle on one end and then cut to the middle on the other. I would think chainsaw with at least 18 inch bar would make short work of this.

Anyone use combo of loppers, Sawzall etc AND chainsaw to cut trees or chainsaw not overkill for the delimbing part either?

Needless to say loved the Sawzall, the bowsaw has me sweating and cussing and slow going. Told my wife how unpractical bowsaw is and it's changed her opinion. If I do get chainsaw (going to borrow one from my bro-in-law and bro-in-law is going to show me how to use it) going to invest in chaps, steel toe boots, helmet/visor etc to keep safe. Big difference between safety of recip saw and chainsaw particularly where recip saw's blade is only on the cutting side and the chainsaw blade can kill you from both sides of it.

This thread is a joke NECowboy is having fun with people on here trying to see how far he can lead people on. just my 2 cents on what he is doing. if all he has said was true he needs to sell his land and go back to town, and that's putting it nicely.

Latest posts