Eastern Redcedar Control - Bow Saw vs. Chainsaw (Do I need a Chainsaw)

Help Support CattleToday:

NECowboy

Reaction score
Hey y'all, I was wondering if I would be able to control eastern red cedars on our property with a bow saw like the below or if I really need a chainsaw? (Wife really does not want me to have a chainsaw where I have little to no experience with one).

We have somewhere between 100-150 red cedars of various shapes and sizes on our quarter. Varying from foot in height to 8-10 feet, trunk diameter miniscule to 8 inches in diameter. Like these:
sig_100411_trees_big.jpg

Will I kill myself using a bow saw or do I need a chainsaw? Have to remove a number of branches before can get at base as you literally need to cut like 1 or 2 inches off ground to get to the point before limbs start. If we had to on the 8 inch diameter cedars (only a few of those), we could hire someone hourly to chainsaw them.

I have ordered the following bow saw from Amazon. I also am ordering the dry wood teeth.

https://www.amazon.com/Bahco-10-30-23-3 ... B0001IX7TW

Read some reviews online and watched some Youtube videos and this looked like one of the best bow saws out there.

Wife is not crazy about me getting a chainsaw. If I did I like the following one with a 20 inch bar:

http://www.stihlusa.com/products/chain- ... aws/ms391/

Have y'all had good experience with bow saws or is it no substitute for a chainsaw and A LOT more backbreaking and time consuming? If I do get a chainsaw, do chainsaw chaps actually work? Trying to answer any concerns my wife would have about me having a chainsaw (would plan on visor/helmet for it).

I guess I forgot to add that I absolutely HATE paying someone for work I could do myself thus IMO paying someone hourly to chainsaw would be ridiculously stupid, but not in the opinion of my wife.

We currently have m5 enrolled in aa azzholes anonymous.
Forgive him ,but don't ignore him . As usual his advice is good.

The bow saw is much more likely to kill you than the chainsaw. Go buy a good chainsaw.
A backpack sprayer and some tordon 22

I own a bow saw or two. I fell timber for years so I have worn out a number of big commercial chain saws. Are bow saws too much work? Yes. I avoid using them if at all possible. Do saw chaps work? Yep, I have bounced a fast running razor sharp chain off my knee without getting a scratch. I wouldn't do that on purpose to test the chaps. Chain saws can be dangerous but no more than any other tool. Have good footing, keep a firm grip on the saw, and pay attention to what the tip of the bar might hit.
There is no way I am attacking that many trees with a bow saw. If you do, plan on spending a lot of time doing it (weeks, months).

You saw them off, they come back with a vengeance. I wrap a chain around them. Choke the chain and pull it up against the base. Hook the other end to the truck bumper and pull them out. They come out quite easily. Easier than sawing them. They don't come back. If they are reall big I use the tractor or backhoe. Pull up on them with the front bucket, lift the bucket and push. Roll the root ball and push the dirt back in the hole.

M-5":19rxe199 said:
First I would buy a set of balls , then go buy a chainsaw.

But, he has no experience with a chainsaw!

Its like swimming. You can't go swimming EVER until you learn how to swim.

Perfect time to learn how to use a chainsaw. I suspect you'll also learn how to sharpen one if they're as hard as the ones I've cut.

M-5":bqf4j86f said:

I'm not afraid of using a chainsaw it's my wife that is being overprotective. I basically wanted to buy the bow saw, use it and show her that this is not practicable/possible, then get the chainsaw.

backhoeboogie":1vghv6gv said:
But, he has no experience with a chainsaw!

Its like swimming. You can't go swimming EVER until you learn how to swim.

I doubt it's rocket science, have used a log splitter, auger, power drills, nail gun before.

Bow saw would be fine if you had a teenage son! Chainsaw is fine if you cut low enough for no green twigs left. That is the key to no returned sprouts. My choice on so few trees would be to run over them with the tractor tire before I started cutting to get a sight of the trunk. Plan on a lot of chain sharpening and some wasps. If I had it to do again (I do but not as many) I would get a weedeater with a blade and not stoop over so much.

backhoeboogie":2q1032ik said:
You saw them off, they come back with a vengeance. I wrap a chain around them. Choke the chain and pull it up against the base. Hook the other end to the truck bumper and pull them out. They come out quite easily. Easier than sawing them. They don't come back. If they are reall big I use the tractor or backhoe. Pull up on them with the front bucket, lift the bucket and push. Roll the root ball and push the dirt back in the hole.

Most of our property is too rugged to get to with pickup so I usually just take a Gator around. But yeah I could try this in more level areas/areas I could get to. Don't own tractor or backhoe at this point.

Ebenezer":1oq6tqr1 said:
Chainsaw is fine if you cut low enough for no green twigs left. That is the key to no returned sprouts.

Exactly you gotta cut very low (I generally find this is only like 1 or 2 inches from ground). End up having to do some branch cutting to get access.

So Stihl MS391 a good chainsaw? 20 inch bar sufficient? Any chainsaw recommendations? Thanks everyone for input.

Get a pole saw. You can reach under the cedars pretty well with them and not need to limb them first. If you cut below the lowest branch the tree dies.
Also, get thr proper safety equipment. Chaps, a good helmet with a face guard and hearing protection. Solid leather boots and good leather gloves. And learn how to properly use the saw and keep the chains sharp.

NECowboy":30zj18k4 said:
M-5":30zj18k4 said:

I'm not afraid of using a chainsaw it's my wife that is being overprotective. I basically wanted to buy the bow saw, use it and show her that this is not practicable/possible, then get the chainsaw.

I Guess my wife knows that's Its not in her best interest to tell me not to do something. For what you are wanting to do I would buy a 16" bar saw. They are light and handy for pruning and small trees once you well versed and want a bigger saw get a 24" saw. You can never have too many .

M-5":2p6wpkw3 said:
NECowboy":2p6wpkw3 said:
M-5":2p6wpkw3 said:

I Guess my wife knows that's Its not in her best interest to tell me not to do something. For what you are wanting to do I would buy a 16" bar saw. They are light and handy for pruning and small trees once you well versed and want a bigger saw get a 24" saw. You can never have too many .

Newlyweds/only been married a few years. Can't you just change bars based on what you want to do? Looks like options for this model are 16 inch, 18 inch, 20 inch, and 25 inch

Well if you don't fix this now with her telling you what to do you'll never live a long happy life.

Yes you can change bars and sprockets on them. Personally a smaller saw for limbing and a bigger saw for other stuff is the best of both worlds.

I've always preferred a smaller saw 18" for cutting cedar. Not as cumbersome in tight spots. On off those weedeaters with a saw blades works good to limb your way in.
Again tordon is your friend

callmefence":1ntkegsn said:
I've always preferred a smaller saw 18" for cutting cedar. Not as cumbersome in tight spots. On off those weedeaters with a saw blades works good to limb your way in.

What kind of chainsaw you use? I've been looking at different Stihl - MS271 Farm Boss, 291, 391 - they start at 12.3 lbs and go up to 13.67 lbs, not the lightest but I think what would need to use.

You cut all the way below growth? If I did that I would hit the ground (as growth is only like 1 or 2 inches up), cause massive kickback, and hurt myself. Yeah sounds like want to go follow up spray Tordon, 24D mix the trunks so they die if you can't below this growth.

Any difference between 16, 18, 20 inch bars in ease of use, kickback, etc? I think 25 inch sounds way too big for this although I could get it for some of our big hardwoods.

NECowboy":1b56agdz said:
callmefence":1b56agdz said:

What kind of chainsaw you use? I've been looking at different Stihl - MS271 Farm Boss, 291, 391 - they start at 12.3 lbs and go up to 13.67 lbs, not the lightest but I think what would need to use.

You cut all the way below growth? If I did that I would hit the ground (as growth is only like 1 or 2 inches up), cause massive kickback, and hurt myself. Yeah sounds like want to go follow up spray Tordon, 24D mix the trunks so they die if you can't below this growth.

Any difference between 16, 18, 20 inch bars in ease of use, kickback, etc? I think 25 inch sounds way too big for this although I could get it for some of our big hardwoods.

Hurting yourself putting it in the dirt? Naw. Tearing up your saw? Yep. Especially with cedar. See, your get it in the dirt, and the little oil openings and channels on bar get blocked, then your chain doesn't get oiled. It gets dull and hot fast, your bar gets hot, then the saw gets hot. Bad for your saw. Still makes a solid product. I use a 18" bar for this sort of thing. With some practice you will get good at cutting them close without getting in the dirt, initially, well always really, pay close attn to the chain. Is it lubed, are you seeing burns in your cuts etc.? Boogie and fence have best advice imo. Pull them, or tordon. You going to save them for fence posts? If so, there's your excuse to buy that chainsaw for the wife. As for dashes advice, well I respectfully disagree. Dash is a real smart fella, and pretty tight with a penny too, so I'm a bit surprised he would advise you to buy some balls. Just get into your wife's purse and take your own back! Just teasing a bit. Welcome to the board btw. :D

Latest posts