Earthquake in Japan

Help Support CattleToday:

BTW, they have still not declared the highest of emergency classifications. The media wants to compare this to Chernobyl. Its more akin to TMI and has survived two design base accidents.

backhoeboogie":3llozoj3 said:
BTW, they have still not declared the highest of emergency classifications. The media wants to compare this to Chernobyl. Its more akin to TMI and has survived two design base accidents.
Regardless of the source of the link it at least shows that NRC and Atomic Energy Commission have had concerns about this type reactor for a very long time. I'm sure the guys working at these plants weren't getting any radiation either the day before the quake. The folks don't seem to really know the situation. Even read where one official said that "It may be melting down right now...we just don't know"......definitely not something to be taken lightly.

TB I have worked on PWRs. I have been sent out on a few BWRs but it was mostly instrumentation related. I know very little reactor theory when it comes to BWRs.

Fission is fission. Borated water is a moderator that kills the chain reaction.

Emergency Response Organizations have a series of classifications for events. The least of which is a Notification of an Unusual Event. It escalates up from there. A series of Technical Specifications are used to classify events and it applies to both PWRs and BWRs. The classifications I am hearing out of Japan follow the Tech Specs I am familiar with.

Chernobyl was not a GE design. There again, I am more familiar with Westinghouse designs.

I have been to school for reactor theory and do understand it to a very high degree. I do not operate the plants for a living. My engineering organization is rather the first call from the control room when anything goes amiss and it usually does not involve the reactor vessel itself or safety features although back up systems do occasionally have anomolies. That is why we have redundant trains and systems. Everything is backed up by a back up system. And yes we are designed for seismic events (earthquakes).

Most everything these days has redundant systems...if not several of them....As i said...I'm dumb on this stuff....are you a nuclear engineer?? Just curious... where from?? This is a learning situation for 99% of us.

TexasBred":6n3mhfgp said:
Most everything these days has redundant systems...if not several of them....As i said...I'm dumb on this stuff....are you a nuclear engineer?? Just curious... where from?? This is a learning situation for 99% of us.
And I want to know more about this granite...since I am about to start construction on a new home.

Isomade":6dr4bydv said:
TexasBred":6dr4bydv said:
And I want to know more about this granite...since I am about to start construction on a new home.

Iso seems to depend on the source...some will show a level of radiation...some not. Guess you'll need a geiger counter. :?

TexasBred":1itaq7yt said:
Isomade":1itaq7yt said:
TexasBred":1itaq7yt said:

Iso seems to depend on the source...some will show a level of radiation...some not. Guess you'll need a geiger counter. :?

You are exactly right TB. Farming itself exposes us to more background radiation than people with non-farm jobs. Combustion engines in vehicles are another source. Coal fired power plants are not even regulated for radiation etc.

Some granite emits a whole lot of background radiation and it is never really talked about or regulated.

The situation with Japan's nuclear reators has escalated. We are all hearing a lot of knee jerk reactions too.

The earth's axis was affected by this earthquake as was our length of day even tho that was only a couple of milliseconds.

Boogie I too heard something about the day being lengthened by milliseconds...maybe that was why I woke up early. lolol. Hopefully the worst won't happen over there with those folks. Hard for folks to try to comprehend something they can't see....sort of like the old boy that said "I'm not afraid of the dark....just what's in the dark". :lol:

Anyone watch the news this morning?
It appears that the containment vessel in reactor 2 has been breached.

Physicists are recommending that the govt take the Chernobyl option and start dumping sand and concrete to seal the reactors. One said that it is reaching a point of no return.

What a mess.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/

Ya'll do understand I am under a situation here? The domestic media is in a frenzy. Anything said about anything can be twisted and distorted and published. Structures and words can be taken out of context. Sensationalism sells newspapers.

Too many people here know me by name. One person has demonstrated they can not be trusted, and disclosed that to many of you. Sad but it happened for some reason and many of you are the very ones who let me in on what was going on. Everyone else seems like wonderful people. But you just never know.

Now if the Washington Post states, "Backhoeboogie said......" they are going to look foolish :D Of course, my statement from here would not have been reviewed by the powers that be before being released.

I can quote and endorse publications and links. It is best that I don't write out too many words here in this forum.

Boogie my knowledge of radiation goes just barely past understanding "sunburn"....as for who you are eetc., I think I know what county you live in but am not positive..name?? Not a clue. Don't need it. And the media everywhere is in a frenzy....I hear the engineers at the power plants in Japan are too... I can understand it tho.....nobody knows what they may be facing so everyone should be alarmed.

TexasBred":3vy4r2na said:
Boogie my knowledge of radiation goes just barely past understanding "sunburn"....as for who you are eetc., I think I know what county you live in but am not positive..name?? Not a clue. Don't need it. And the media everywhere is in a frenzy....I hear the engineers at the power plants in Japan are too... I can understand it tho.....nobody knows what they may be facing so everyone should be alarmed.
I ain't got a clue neither. My understanding of radiation is one step below TBs.

My friends Nephew is a fireman and has been sent out to Japan to help with the clean up, last time he was sent somewhere was Haiti. Before he was a fireman he was in the Army, fighting in Iraq.
BHB I only know of you on here as a farmer I thought, and I know diddly squat about radiation and such.

backhoeboogie":2gw9jgmr said:
When was the last time the media stuck a cam in your face? Yesterday for me.

Didnt' see it but I'm sure they were wanting to reassure the folks in the neighborhood about the plant over there. is it the same design....could it happen here..are we safe...on and on...typical. I would have excused myself and told them to call the company president and get his comments. ;-)

My husband was in the energy production business and he is concerned.
A close friend's husband works at STP. They are concerned too.
BHB, you may say that everyone is doom & gloom, but the facts are the Japanese did not move quickly enough & things have escalated. We only know what is being told.
If things were under control the Japanese govt would not be evacuating people so quickly.
You sound like a good a good public relations person.

Diesel fuel should be protected. There should be missle shields to protect the tanks from from falling objects and it should be water tight. :D

Latest posts