Earthquake in Japan

Help Support CattleToday:

I have been receiving link after link. Have been reading information from the Nuclear Energy Institute, the Institute of Nuclear Power Operations, the Electric Power Research Institute and lots of other information and responses. After watching the news last night from several varieties both domestically and foreign, all I can really say is BS. What in the hades are they talking about? There is a basket under the core of a BWR. What happened at Chernobyl CANNOT happen in Japan. Everyone in the know says the exact same thing. The entire public is being mislead beyond belief.

This is a tragedy in multiple ways. Folks lost their entire livelihoods. Earthquake, tidal wave, loss of power, loss of homes, loss of communication systems, loss of transportation, loss of people, contaminated water and environment, freezing temperatures..............

backhoeboogie":35kumd2s said:
I have been receiving link after link. Have been reading information from the Nuclear Energy Institute, the Institute of Nuclear Power Operations, the Electric Power Research Institute and lots of other information and responses. After watching the news last night from several varieties both domestically and foreign, all I can really say is BS. What in the hades are they talking about? There is a basket under the core of a BWR. What happened at Chernobyl CANNOT happen in Japan. Everyone in the know says the exact same thing. The entire public is being mislead beyond belief.

This is a tragedy in multiple ways. Folks lost their entire livelihoods. Earthquake, tidal wave, loss of power, loss of homes, loss of communication systems, loss of transportation, loss of people, contaminated water and environment, freezing temperatures..............

Boogie with all due respect to your expertise you're just like us. All you know is what you hear and read and anything beyond that is "this is what the books say". Until I talk to someone "on site" I have to believe this is serious stuff.....and those on site are taking it very seriously. I'd much rather "overeact" than"fiddle while Rome burns" which seems to be your recommendation. Those that had all the stuff you listed above happen to them certainly don't consider any of it BS.

The decision makers in Japan are fighting the good fight with precious little on their side. For instance, a call for big pumps and more generators is not an easy thing when the streets are full of rubble and your suppliers are probably trying to clean up themselves. That's why we call them disasters. Some of your usual personel may have been swept away, drowned. I hear media complaining about lack of communication from the decision makers, but no one wants to go to a press conference and say "it is precarious".

It is silly, to me, that France is closing reactors for inspection-- but that may be necessary for public confidence. France isn't really earthquake and tsunami territory.

We can build for the worst, the absolute worst case and we'll never be able to build anything affordably. It's likely there is a 11 earthquake out there waiting. And after that a 12. May come next week, may be a thousand years.

Market gurus are a hard lot, aren't they. I see opinions that US grains can benefit from this because Japan will need uncontaminated food for a while.

So--does anyone know the story about grain production in the Chernoble area? I remember reading, at the time, that millions of acres would be contaminated for eternity. Has that come to pass? Does anyone monitor? I really don't know because after a while it was no longer news.

The Chernobyl area has beautiful wildlife and doesn't have the two-headed animals as you might expect. Flora and other things are fine but the buildings have deteriorated. Radiation level is said to be dangerous but it doesn't appear to be effecting nature in any apparent way.

John you say about France looking into their reactors, they say over here it is to give people peace of mind, So are ours in London being looked at, we are not a high quake zone, we have a few little rumbles, but London is in a basin and could flood very quickly if the tide swells, and the barrier doesn't go up in time. Doesn't bare thinking about at would or could happen.
Chernobyl was on our NEWS the other day and things looked as if they had picked up, but they can't live there or plant any kind of food or eat animals that graze there, no there are no two headed beast but the radiation is still to high and will be for quite sometime. Wales took some of the fall out from that disaster, although they have had the all clear to farm the land and raise animals for food consumption for years now. Can't say I have ever seen any green glowing sheep around, from it.
http://villageofjoy.com/chernobyl-today ... -pictures/

TexasBred":2p5sya0g said:
backhoeboogie":2p5sya0g said:

Boogie with all due respect to your expertise you're just like us. All you know is what you hear and read and anything beyond that is "this is what the books say". Until I talk to someone "on site" I have to believe this is serious stuff.....and those on site are taking it very seriously. I'd much rather "overeact" than"fiddle while Rome burns" which seems to be your recommendation. Those that had all the stuff you listed above happen to them certainly don't consider any of it BS.

If your neighbor's cows come down with bangs, do you have to prove to every news net work that your cows have been vaccinated? You have not seen your neighbor's cows and have no idea if they really have bangs or not. Your integrity is being questioned and the media is telling the whole world that your cows have really not been vaccinated even tho you have receipts, vet furnished records, and third party signatures who witnessed, tested the vaccine, and verified each and every innoculation.

We are responding to event reports. Justifiying Severe Accident Mitigation Guidelines. (black-outs, flooding, design base seismic events, line breaks and on and on and on). We furnish them the answers and they don't use the information to attain any level of public confidence.

TB I don't have to look at a every Ford F100 pick-up to know it was designed with a bed, steering wheel, tires........ It aint a Dodge or Chevy, we all know that.

If your neighbor's cows come down with bangs, do you have to prove to every news net work that your cows have been vaccinated? You have not seen your neighbor's cows and have no idea if they really have bangs or not. Your integrity is being questioned and the media is telling the whole world that your cows have really not been vaccinated even tho you have receipts, vet furnished records, and third party signatures who witnessed, tested the vaccine, and verified each and every innoculation.

We are responding to event reports. Justifiying Severe Accident Mitigation Guidelines. (black-outs, flooding, design base seismic events, line breaks and on and on and on). We furnish them the answers and they don't use the information to attain any level of public confidence.

TB I don't have to look at a every Ford F100 pick-up to know it was designed with a bed, steering wheel, tires........ It aint a Dodge or Chevy, we all know that.

Boogie it all just comes with the job. People are not questioning your integrity but as the only resident expert they are coming to you for information and hopefully "reassurance". They don't want BS or defense positions. As for the Chevy, Ford, Dodge sure they have all those parts (I'm assuming your trying to simplify a reactor to taht level) but even tho they are designed to do the same things they are not necessarily designed identically and with equal integrity. We have recalls and system failures every day. I find it hard for someone to give expert advice and comments from half way around the world about a nuclear plant he has never seen. A nuclear engineer only this morning who had quit GE back in the 70's along with two other Nuclear engineers said the design was flawed....They (the GE-3 they were called) quit over this very issue...There are no failsafe systems although we can get pretty close. Things are not looking good for the people in Japan. Hopefully the "powers that be" will get things under control before there is a true nuclear disaster. We can only pray for them and all that might be affected. Meanwhile we have 150 Japanese workers trying to contain this mess who most likely will become human sacrifices.

It aint no thang TB. The media should report the facts.

Did you see me on the 9 o'clock news last p.m. The cam panned across the room and there I was. At least 3 seconds right there on the big screen. :D Much better this time since I had no verbage recorded etc.

backhoeboogie":19y71wm1 said:
It aint no thang TB. The media should report the facts.

Did you see me on the 9 o'clock news last p.m. The cam panned across the room and there I was. At least 3 seconds right there on the big screen. :D Much better this time since I had no verbage recorded etc.

Must have missed you Boogie...all I get is DFW stations and only watch their news in the morning. Channel 5 has the good lookin' "gridlock buster". lolol.

The NEI is confirming a turn for the better with RAD doses decreasing.

Those 50 to 75 people there are doing some kind of job mitigating the consequences of this. You have to wonder if their homes and families are being attended to.

The news media is carrying on like this is the end of the world. We were blowing up A bombs in Nevada until 1992.
Above ground blast into the 60's a 100 miles from Las Vegas, not counting the bombs we dropped on the Bikinni Islands.

Caustic Burno":3f4zgyr2 said:
The news media is carrying on like this is the end of the world. We were blowing up A bombs in Nevada until 1992.
Above ground blast into the 60's a 100 miles from Las Vegas, not counting the bombs we dropped on the Bikinni Islands.

True but they also knew exactly when the bomb would detonate too. we discontinued above ground testing many years ago because of the consequences. People use to stand behind bunkers and watch the flash of the explosion too...nobody knew any better. Bikini Islands are still "off limits". There might be a little "overkill" here by the media but still better to be overly cautious than ignore it. too many lives at risk to just hunker down and say "it ain't gonna happen", especially when you're 10k miles away. At least the Japanese are taking it seriously...but then they have first hand experience with radiation too.

TexasBred":2sxxkfez said:
Caustic Burno":2sxxkfez said:

True but they also knew exactly when the bomb would detonate too. we discontinued above ground testing many years ago because of the consequences. People use to stand behind bunkers and watch the flash of the explosion too...nobody knew any better. Bikini Islands are still "off limits". There might be a little "overkill" here by the media but still better to be overly cautious than ignore it. too many lives at risk to just hunker down and say "it ain't gonna happen", especially when you're 10k miles away. At least the Japanese are taking it seriously...but then they have first hand experience with radiation too.

For what its worth my wife just got off the phone with "her family" in Japan. I asked if the radiation problem was as bad as the news was making out it and the answer was NO. It sounds like they must bleed out the hydrogen gas and this does have some radiation in it but its nothing like the news is making it out to be. The rest of the news is on key. Its a mess there. We asked how we could help and they suggested a donation through the Japanese Consulate and will be sending us the details. This way any money will get where its needed the most.

It takes what - 9 hours at the most - for xenon to decay/get stable? Hydrogen - I don't remember but it seems it was faster. Hydrogen poses the threat of explosion.

backhoeboogie":235bb2kj said:
It takes what - 9 hours at the most - for xenon to decay/get stable? Hydrogen - I don't remember but it seems it was faster. Hydrogen poses the threat of explosion.

Hydrogen is a real problem because it has such a wide range on the explosive limits, it will blow from anywhere from 4% to 76% concentration.

I was wondering...the media says Japan's educational system is much better than ours, if that is so why are we sending our folks oer there to help them with this crisis? Why have we sent so much money to them? What did they do for us during Katrina? Just my thoughts. Not worth much I am sure and yes I do empathize with those folks.

upfrombottom":260c3b6d said:
Dangit TB, if your skeerd, say your skeerd.

Scared??? Not at all...not even concerned about this area of the country. I'm a strong supporter of nuclear energy...Boogie works at a plant...I live about 50 miles from it.... but really feel this is super serious for the Japanese citizens and don't think people half way around the globe should be pontificating about what will and won't happen. Hel nobody knows....The news folks are wearing the subject out, I agree, but the fact remains, there is a serious problem over there....earthquake, tsunami and now radiation leaking? Those still working on the computers are sending "final wishes" to their families...they know they are "the walking dead". Hopefully those 150-180 will be the only ones to die out of this.

hillbillycwo":17te93oy said:
I was wondering...the media says Japan's educational system is much better than ours, if that is so why are we sending our folks oer there to help them with this crisis? Why have we sent so much money to them? What did they do for us during Katrina? Just my thoughts. Not worth much I am sure and yes I do empathize with those folks.

Here you go Hillbilly...Japan did show up after Katrina:

http://www.america.gov/st/washfile-engl ... 3e-02.html

Latest posts