Does Anybody Else Feel Sorry for the Australians

Help Support CattleToday:

mnmtranching

Reaction score
How can they be happy living on a continent where there are no ANTLERED ANIMALS. :???:

Never thought about that. But they do have a lot of things that got teeth and venom. I'd settle for plinking crocks with a rifle myself. Those things scare me.

But then again, we don't have egg laying mammals. :cry2:

The Platypus.

Platypus_underwater2.jpg

Jogeephus":21g1qcdj said:
Never thought about that. But they do have a lot of things that got teeth and venom. I'd settle for plinking crocks with a rifle myself. Those things scare me.
Thats a thought but it is also the reason why I would feel sorry for the Australians is their super strict gun control laws.

3fifty7":hegjsd8j said:
Jogeephus":hegjsd8j said:
Thats a thought but it is also the reason why I would feel sorry for the Australians is their super strict gun control laws.

I saw on the nature channel that the platypus was also venomous. They got some neat creechtures there.

357, what kind of gun control laws do they have? I always thought they were free to carry with all those animals and things.

Don't they have spiders that will chase you around?

Nuff said.

3fifty7":165famdp said:
Jogeephus":165famdp said:

Old Croc. Dundee had one big bad knife.

Maybe a local Aussie could help me out here but I belive there is a 28 day waiting period for rimfire long guns and crack barrel shot guns. Others pump action shot guns, semi-auto shot guns and rifles, bolt actions with a mag. and other repeating arms are restricted by catagories similar to our Class III arms here. Handguns are more restricted and laws determine what caliber, barrel length, and action is avaliable.

As far as guns go, you have to have a firearms licence which can take a bit. The specifics on getting guns I don't know (and don't really care). There is nothing wrong with our restrictions, how often have you heard of Aussie kids taking guns to school/uni/etc and shooting people? Obviously we're doing something right.

As for antlered animals.... we do have deer you know.

I believe the platypus 'venom' as you call it is currently being studied for its medicinal uses... apparently it could be a major discovery.

Killa wrote:
I believe the platypus 'venom' as you call it is currently being studied for its medicinal uses... apparently it could be a major discovery.

If its not venom what do ya'll call it? Watched a show about them. They look very pettable but they said their hind legs had spurs on them that would inject you and give you some aweful pain. Venom from the rattlesnakes is studied also but I still chose not to mess with them. I just found it interesting that a mammal had something like this. Ya'll got some neat critters over there but you must admit you got many that can pack a pretty good punch.

Killala":2qtfyga5 said:
As far as guns go, you have to have a firearms licence which can take a bit. The specifics on getting guns I don't know (and don't really care). There is nothing wrong with our restrictions, how often have you heard of Aussie kids taking guns to school/uni/etc and shooting people? Obviously we're doing something right.

I thought that after the bunny thing :shock: Some very strict laws were put in place on bringing down under exotic species. There are some Red Deer farms I understand. But you folks don't have any native antlered animals. Are there any escapes from the deer farms :?:

Killala":wqg54vk0 said:

There is always "tomorrow".

Killala":2zm2z75r said:
There is nothing wrong with our restrictions, how often have you heard of Aussie kids taking guns to school/uni/etc and shooting people? Obviously we're doing something right.

Actually, the new restrictive gun laws were a direct result of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Arthu ... stralia%29

It should be noted that violent crime in Australia has risen substantially since the enactment of these laws.

mnmtranching":1uj4w2f0 said:
Killala":1uj4w2f0 said:

I thought that after the bunny thing :shock: Some very strict laws were put in place on bringing down under exotic species. There are some Red Deer farms I understand. But you folks don't have any native antlered animals. Are there any escapes from the deer farms :?:

There have been wild deer roaming for some time... yes, they initially escaped but there is now a substantial 'wild' herd in some places. Without doing some actual research I can't comment on that any more... maybe some of the other Aussies can...

VanC":1uj4w2f0 said:
Killala":1uj4w2f0 said:
There is nothing wrong with our restrictions, how often have you heard of Aussie kids taking guns to school/uni/etc and shooting people? Obviously we're doing something right.

Actually, the new restrictive gun laws were a direct result of this:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Port_Arthu ... stralia%29

It should be noted that violent crime in Australia has risen substantially since the enactment of these laws.

Which as you know was some time ago, and it illustrates what can happen without gun restrictions. This was an adult though, nothing like what seems to occur 'regularly' in the US with young people, obviously not fully aware of the consequences of their actions.

I would like to see the EVIDENCE to support the rise of 'violent' crime.... I don't know where you get your facts from but they are incorrect. Don't make such bold statements about that which you don't know.

Oh, also, he was a Tasmanian :p That's what a bit of inbreeding does to ya!! thank goodness there's a sea between them and us!!

Americans have always been a risk taking, freedom loving bunch. Some would say that our second amendment is a direct result of knowing that citizens need to have the ability to defend themselves against a threat, whether it is from government or from criminals or from crazies. Some would also say that the gun laws in this country are too restrictive. If citizens could carry concealed everywhere, the bad shootings would not be happening because the victims could have defended themselves.

America separated itself from the crown at gunpoint. The rest of the commonwealth was content to pay the bills for the empire and send their sons to die at the whim of the King or Queen or parliament for centuries until the empire imploded. Maybe it is in your charactor to kowtow to the powers that be and allow them to erode your freedoms. It is not in ours.

Many of you around the world like to point your fingers at us and call us a bunch of gun-toting violent barbarians.

But the fact of the matter is that Killala and everyone else in Australia would be speaking Japanese today if it wasn't for us, just as France and Great Britain would be speaking German.

Latest posts