Anybody drink water from PVC pipes?

Help Support CattleToday:

jltrent

Reaction score
My pipes are PVC and the big blue pipes the water company put in are probably PVC or some sort of plastic.

PVC is made with vinyl chloride, the same hazardous material released in the fiery train derailment that triggered a public health and environmental crisis in East Palestine, Ohio. It's also a known carcinogen and endocrine disruptor.

Here is a report that says it is totally safe to drink from PVC pipes.

My pipes are PVC and the big blue pipes the water company put in are probably PVC or some sort of plastic.

PVC is made with vinyl chloride, the same hazardous material released in the fiery train derailment that triggered a public health and environmental crisis in East Palestine, Ohio. It's also a known carcinogen and endocrine disruptor.

Yes I do and it's stable.
Now a vinyl chloride unit is another thing.
Union Carbide tore theirs down in Texas City due to brain cancer in unit operations and all kinds of weird cancers downwind in the community.

After we got running water (no more melting snow for drinking and bathing!) we drank unfiltered water pumped into the house from a hole dug in the ground with a dozer that collected surface runoff from the roadside ditch which collected water from the pasture. I feel quite comfortable drinking the water in Mexico and am not concerned about a little vinyl chloride. Yet.

1. The "report" comes from environmentalists.............. not saying that they're wrong, or "always wrong", or that they don't have their place...., just saying you need to look where the information came from and consider it's "factual merit" with a recognition of whose presenting it.

A report released Tuesday by a coalition of U.S. environmental advocacy groups warned of the health risks of PVC plastic and urged public officials against using the material in community drinking water pipes.

2. Polyethylene pipe (RATHER THAN PVC), which is what is approved for potable water, is not currently under scrutiny for contamination of concern to human health. The "flexible black pipe", as well as the blue, AND Pex, is polyethylene. PVC is the hard white stuff.

"Rochester, New York, just three hours to the west, also avoided PVC for its ongoing lead service line replacement program, said its public information director Barbara Pierce.

"The City of Rochester does not use PVC or CPVC for water service material, instead it uses copper and cross-linked polyethylene pipe, which does not contain polyvinyl chloride or vinyl chloride," Pierce said in an email to USA TODAY."

PE pipe won't come under fire until next week............ after they've been able to install it all across the country to replace the lead pipes currently in use. (And NO... I'm not suggesting that lead pipes.... OR lead solder on copper pipes for that matter, aren't/shouldn't be considered a man-made problem of concern...................)

Last edited:
They didn't drink from pipes at all when my grandfather was a kid. In my grandfather's adult life, pipes were made from all kinds of things we aren't supposed to make them out of now. I'm sure, seeing as how the house on our other property we didn't retain was built in the 1910's-20's, that I've drank a train car full of water from pipes that were sub optimal. Men on one side of my family have been averaging 76-77 for about 100 years or more and early 80s since the 1800s on the other side of the family. I reckon whatever does me in won't be no pipes. Sky's falling, we're somehow simultaneously approaching an ice age and bursting into flames, a man told me the other day the poles are going to flip, we're somehow overpopulated but our birth rate is declining, and the government is coming for everything.

Said it before, the world can only go to hell so fast. I ain't too concerned.

No matter what we do,how careful we are,we're going to die anyway. Our death can probably be linked to some type of chemical we are exposed to,either in water,food,air,etc. Just live life to the fullest and let the Good Lord figure out when you're going Home.

I could write you a book on lead and copper regs in drinking water. If the idiots in Flint would've done what they were supposed to things would be a lot simpler.

Yeah…I try not to drink from the hose that's been dunked in the 2,4-D and remedy sprayer…😉

Pretty good idea to let enough water run to flush all the algee growth out too.
I had several tubs of tomato plants in dirt to reset and was in a hurry and used the garden hose to water them. It had been probably two weeks since I had the garden hose in the sprayer with remedy and 2-4-d. After the fact I thought I may have messed up. In a few days every tomato started dying.

I have drank water from all sorts of pipes and hoses. Also from a waste water ditch down stream from tens of thousand of acres of irrigated farm ground. From stock ponds in the fall where I used my hands to push the bugs to the side before sticking my face in the water. Probably thousands of gallons from mountain streams big and little including ones just down stream from a beaver pond. I have never drank from a cow track but have seen others do that.

I had several tubs of tomato plants in dirt to reset and was in a hurry and used the garden hose to water them. It had been probably two weeks since I had the garden hose in the sprayer with remedy and 2-4-d. After the fact I thought I may have messed up. In a few days every tomato started dying.
I recall someone on here used manure from pasture that had been sprayed with Grazon complaining because their garden would not come up.

Well I'm screwed. We have PVC from the pump at the bottom of the well all the way to the house. I can't think of any well pumps around here that don't have PVC pipe joints (with stainless couplers) between the pump and the pitless adapter.