Do the IGR additives in Minerals pass through to calf?

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
As I was out checking the cows this evening I saw a heifer calf doing her business and the question occurred to me do the IGR or larvicide additives pass through to the calf in the mother's milk? So far the IGR is controlling my fly population pretty darn well, but our peak fly season is not until August.

IGR is a compound that interferes with the life cycle of fly species - dipterans. It is systemic so it would be in the cow's milk. I don't know at what concentrations. What is your concern?

It is not a concern really. I was just thinking that since it takes effect as a larvacide in the manure; if the calves are not consuming mineral with the IGR, then am I really being efficient since some flys will lay eggs in the calf manure.

sstterry said:
It is not a concern really. I was just thinking that since it takes effect as a larvacide in the manure if the calves are not consuming mineral with the IGR, then am I really being efficient since some flys will lay eggs in the calf manure.

Technically, it is a life cycle inhibitor. The calves are probably not getting enough in milk to inhibit life cycles in their manure but if the calves are licking mineral the amount added by milk is a bonus.

My calves dig right into my mineral. I don't feed IGR, but if I did, I would think they consumed enough on their own. We don't have a big enough fly problem around here to do any treating - eartags, backrubs, IGR, etc.

Latest posts