Grass ID

Help Support CattleToday:

Reaction score
In the past I thought this was a variety of fescue. I'm not sp sure that's accurate though. Different growth habit, seedheads have hairs/beard deal going on. It's a completely different color green. It's growing in random spots. Looks super healthy.

Attachments

• 20240428_094813.jpg
    20240428_094813.jpg
    345.5 KB · Views: 83
  • 20240428_094848.jpg
    20240428_094848.jpg
    355.3 KB · Views: 74
  • 20240428_094802.jpg
    20240428_094802.jpg
    728.3 KB · Views: 75
  • 20240428_094726.jpg
    20240428_094726.jpg
    640.2 KB · Views: 80
Cows eat it and makes hay if not over ripe.
After looking at pictures, I don't think it is perennial ryegrass nor quack grass. Has a seedhead very similar to fescue, only bearded.

I'll get some better picture. I'd really like to know. Haven't seem it before and there are quite a few little clumps of it this year. Gonna watch to see how hard the cows hit it. Should be to it by Thursday.

Pl@ntNet seems to think its Elymus caninus:

Elymus caninus (L.) L.167 122 observations

Bearded couch, Bearded wheatgrass, Fibrous wheatgrass, Awned wheat grass, Bearded couchgrass, Bearded Wheat Grass, Fibrous wheat grass, Fibrous-rooted wheat grass, Tufted couch, Bearded Wild Rye, Bearded couch-grass, Dog's Wheat

Do you have bearded couch grass down there?

Many grasses have bearded variations so that is not out of the realm of possibility, and I think it is likely. That said, I'm probably more familiar with fescue than any other grass species and haven't encountered a bearded variation. But also, variations vary by region and I don't have experience with eastern TN. so.....

One very strong identifying feature I use for tall fescue is that, on somewhat more mature leaf blades, if you run your fingertips along the edge of the leaf blade from the leaf tip towards the base, the edge of the blade acts like/feels like it is ever so slightly serrated and you fingertips do not glide 'smoothly' towards the base. They encounter a 'rough resistance'.

Pl@ntNet seems to think its Elymus caninus:

Elymus caninus (L.) L.167 122 observations

Bearded couch, Bearded wheatgrass, Fibrous wheatgrass, Awned wheat grass, Bearded couchgrass, Bearded Wheat Grass, Fibrous wheat grass, Fibrous-rooted wheat grass, Tufted couch, Bearded Wild Rye, Bearded couch-grass, Dog's Wheat

Do you have bearded couch grass down there?
Shouldn't be. Anything potentially is possible, especially if it would be a stray plant or two. Bou this, based on the description here, seems to be propagating itself and I definitely would not expect that of bearded wheatgrass in this location.

I went to get a few samples yesterday... I cannot locate a single clump. Lol.

When i do find it i will try the leaf underside for serations.
Leaf edge, not the underside. Basically, take a leaf blade and drag it across your fingertip kinda like using it like a knife. The leaf edge, but draw the leaf across your fingertip from the tip of the leaf to the base of the leaf, not the base of the leaf to the tip.

Leaf edge, not the underside. Basically, take a leaf blade and drag it across your fingertip kinda like using it like a knife. The leaf edge, but draw the leaf across your fingertip from the tip of the leaf to the base of the leaf, not the base of the leaf to the tip.
Thanks for the explanation, Mark!

I went to get a few samples yesterday... I cannot locate a single clump. Lol.

When i do find it i will try the leaf underside for serations.
Lets see, didn't someone tell you it would be one of the first things to disappear when the cows found it? Who was that person?

Latest posts