Question about feeding calves through the winter

Help Support CattleToday:

Just straight up flipping animals or things on people is frowned on with most people I deal with. They feel like if you know you can get more for it right away and don't tell them, you took advantage of them, by not letting them know.

I'm not sure I would share the same sentiment if it was done to me, but I definitely don't do it because it's not worth taking a chance, imo. I would just tell them straight up I think I can sell these for x amount more and give them the option to sell the cattle themselves or partner with me or what ever. I just prefer to lay the cards out there so there is no hard feelings.

Doing things with friends is always dicey. I have a friend that we have cattle together. I bought a couple weaned heifers from him early on. We picked out heifers to keep amd heifers to sell. I liked a couple red heifers he had in the sell pen. I asked him how much he wanted, he looked at the previous sale and gave me a number. Done deal. Thought it was a win-win. I don't even offer any more because any time after that I would mention one he would jack the price up on me. The heifers I bought from him turned out really nice.

Looking back I think he thought I kind of "took him" by not suggesting he keep them for himself and then buying them. I thought I was doing right by keeping my mouth shut about his cattle. Hindsight, after years of doing it together, he wants me to speak up because he is unsure some times. It's not a good situation to mix money in.

Live and learn.

Just straight up flipping animals or things on people is frowned on with most people I deal with. They feel like if you know you can get more for it right away and don't tell them, you took advantage of them, by not letting them know.

I'm not sure I would share the same sentiment if it was done to me, but I definitely don't do it because it's not worth taking a chance, imo. I would just tell them straight up I think I can sell these for x amount more and give them the option to sell the cattle themselves or partner with me or what ever. I just prefer to lay the cards out there so there is no hard feelings.

Doing things with friends is always dicey. I have a friend that we have cattle together. I bought a couple weaned heifers from him early on. We picked out heifers to keep amd heifers to sell. I liked a couple red heifers he had in the sell pen. I asked him how much he wanted, he looked at the previous sale and gave me a number. Done deal. Thought it was a win-win. I don't even offer any more because any time after that I would mention one he would jack the price up on me. The heifers I bought from him turned out really nice.

Looking back I think he thought I kind of "took him" by not suggesting he keep them for himself and then buying them. I thought I was doing right by keeping my mouth shut about his cattle. Hindsight, after years of doing it together, he wants me to speak up because he is unsure some times. It's not a good situation to mix money in.
Live and learn.
I bought some red angus heifers from a friend/neighbor and told him upfront I was going to breed and sell them with a few of my own next spring. Both of us are happy. We had the local stockyard buyer weigh and price them out. I think you're right, best to get it all out there from the jump.

Live and learn.
I'm not sure about the dislike of flipping livestock. 1 person wants to sell or he wouldn't, the other one buys or he wouldn't. If the buyer lost money the seller wouldn't care, why should he be upset of the buyer makes money? If that bothers him why didn't he load them up and take them to the sale?

I'm not sure about the dislike of flipping livestock. 1 person wants to sell or he wouldn't, the other one buys or he wouldn't. If the buyer lost money the seller wouldn't care, why should he be upset of the buyer makes money? If that bothers him why didn't he load them up and take them to the sale?
Yeah, it doesn't make sense to you or me... because when I sell something it's no longer mine to care about what happens... but you KNOW there are people out there like that. And some time in the future they could be valuable. Why wouldn't you (or the buyer) make the small effort to keep the bridges from burning?

Last edited:
I'm not following your scenario. I think I said... I'm not sure I would share the same sentiment...

To me if there was no discussion of the intentions of the animals before the purchase then its probably OK. If you said you wanted to buy them for replacements or freezer beef then flip them, it could be considered misleading.

I have sold some heifers or cows to young people on occasion who were showing them or starting their herds. If I went online and they were for sale a week later for more than they paid, I would be disappointed. I probably wouldn't say any thing but they would defininitely not receive any favors next time, if I even sold them more.

I go back to just stating your intentions to the seller and then you know there is no issue. If you are purposely trying not to tell them your intentions, then its probably not right.

Last edited:
Yep, once you pay me for something, then it is yours, and none of my business what you do with it. Same when I buy something. If a seller ask me if I am going to re-sell it, I won't lie: Every bovine I ever bought in my life was for re-sale. If not right then, then whenever I got done with it, or got an offer for a nice profit.

Latest posts