Feed Through Fly Control.

Help Support CattleToday:

Twisted

Reaction score
The dreaded flies are just around the corner here and I was thinking about starting a feed through fly control regiment early enough to be proactive instead of reactive. Do you guys use feed through fly control? If so when do you start it. I was thinking of adding it to free choice mineral and salt blocks with it added.

The dreaded flies are just around the corner here and I was thinking about starting a feed through fly control regiment early enough to be proactive instead of reactive. Do you guys use feed through fly control? If so when do you start it. I was thinking of adding it to free choice mineral and salt blocks with it added.
JustiFly was the brand I have been looking to order but have never used it before.

Used to feed mineral with IGR. Helped a little with the flies, but seemed to kill off my dung Beatles and also I noticed less earthworm activity.

Have since quit using it and my dung Beatles and worm activity are much more "normal".

I've talked to others with the same observations, and also others that say it's impossible.

I've been feeding an IGR mineral from our Southern States co op, for several years. It's recommended to start feeding it a few weeks before flies really start and for a few weeks after they slow down in the fall.
Early in the spring I use a high magnesium version of it till the threat of grass tetany is over.
I think it does help some with flies but you have to keep it by them regularly.
We also typically use insecticide tags, long about June too.

Saw this in the Angus Beef Bulletin the other day. Altosid IGR XRB horn fly control bolus. It's a time-release bolus that is supposed to control the life cycle of horn flies for up to 195 days. Hmmm, I'm intrigued. Of course, you'll still have to spray or whatever you do for fly control but could cut down the problem significantly. IGR in mineral is only as effective as the amount they consume.

I started to use rabon/clarifly blocks a couple years ago. I start putting them out May 1st. The recommendation was from an old farmer neighbor that told me after he started using it he never had pinkeye. No idea if it is the reason I haven't had pinkeye since but, he had cows for the last 50 years and claimed it worked for him. Definitely worth a shot.

Latest posts