Fly Control Feed

Help Support CattleToday:

gwece

Reaction score
What type of fly control feed or tubs do you recommend? I had a trailer built that uses half plastic barrel feeders and a metal framework to fasten on 4 cow life rubs on. Thinking about using feed similar to the Wind & Rain with fly control med in it (if it don't bankrupt me). I tried a tub of it ($180) and it just lasted a few days on 50 head of cows & calves. I'm in southern Illinois.

I agree with @bird dog - except I do use mineral with CTC for anaplasmosis, generally starting in late April and at least through Oct (or whenever my VFD expires). Ticks are a huge problem here.

Some people swear by putting garlic or cinnamon in minerals for fly control. Keep in mind, if you have neighboring pastures and they don't practice diligent fly control, your efforts will double.

What type of fly control feed or tubs do you recommend? I had a trailer built that uses half plastic barrel feeders and a metal framework to fasten on 4 cow life rubs on. Thinking about using feed similar to the Wind & Rain with fly control med in it (if it don't bankrupt me). I tried a tub of it ($180) and it just lasted a few days on 50 head of cows & calves. I'm in southern Illinois.
What county you in? We have enough moisture that flies are tough July-frost. I use Purina W&R loose mineral with fly control.

I'm pretty sure there is no single thing that controls flies best. It's a combination of two or more things;
Internal control; either fed or injected. Delivers constant disruption to the life cycle of the flies. With insecticide in the manure.
External control; either tags, back rubbers, face curtains, or sprays. Doesn't eliminate flies, just encourages them to go elsewhere.