Feed with bugs

Help Support CattleToday:

ksmit454

Reaction score
I work at a feed store and we got a pallet of sweet cob that has little teeny tiny bugs in it. After leaving it in the sun the bugs are all dead. I am able to get the pallet at no cost, would it be ok to feed to my feeder calves? I would hate to waste a whole pallet and really I don't think it'll affect the cattle at all.

I work at a feed store and we got a pallet of sweet cob that has little teeny tiny bugs in it. After leaving it in the sun the bugs are all dead. I am able to get the pallet at no cost, would it be ok to feed to my feeder calves? I would hate to waste a whole pallet and really I don't think it'll affect the cattle at all.
I've got an app on my phone called Picture Insect that will identify insects. They want you to subscribe but there is always the option to try it free so I've never subscribed. It's an easy download and not hard to use.

I'd identify the bug and check on wiki to see if they are toxic. If not... they are additional protein.

Usually whatever bugs are eating the grain/cob...the bugs essentially become that grain throughout their own bodies...small dead bugs inside grain eating of the grain...sure i would feed it. It's rodents and rodent dropping you have to dump/throw-out the entire load.

Usually whatever bugs are eating the grain/cob...the bugs essentially become that grain throughout their own bodies...small dead bugs inside grain eating of the grain...sure i would feed it. It's rodents and rodent dropping you have to dump/throw-out the entire load.
Not sure about all bugs but when weevils eat grain and the cow eats the weevils she's not getting the same protein. Weevils expend the protein through body heat. Next time you see weevils in feed stick your hand in it and feel the warmth. The weevils don't harm cattle but if you're feeding out of a big bag infested with weevils they are getting a lot less protein than you think they are.

63D332E8-FF44-45C0-BA65-4793D1E4E64E.jpeg
These are the bugs. They are teeny tiny and as far as I know, are dead now. We left the feed out in the sun for a few days and there aren't moving around anymore.

Latest posts