Cow with badly swollen legs ?

Help Support CattleToday:

Fred

Reaction score
This is a 5 yr old cow I raised. Last year she was cripple on her front foot. Foot was swollen and got better after LA300 shot, stopped her limping. This winter I noticed 3 of her legs were swelling and she started limping. I had a vet examine her, and didn't really find anything, checked her hooves, no fever. Puzzled him that 1 front leg was not swollen. Gave her an anti-inflamatory shot, LA300, wormed, Multi-min. I got shot from vet and doctored her a couple weeks later. Not getting better and I think she's about gone. Any ideas from you guys? She has raised 2 calves, but has always been somewhat unthrifty since I got her back from a 5 month heifer development program.

Attachments

• swollen feet cow.jpg
    swollen feet cow.jpg
    624.6 KB · Views: 16
  • swollen feet cow 2.jpg
    swollen feet cow 2.jpg
    602.8 KB · Views: 16
Was she shipped here? Sometimes cows that have been shipped can get small lacerations on their legs that aren't really noticeable. Bacterial infections can occur from spending time in enclosed spaces from exposure to fecal matter. Or could it be blackleg? If it is, she won't last long after lameness sets in - 2 or 3 days. If caught early enough, penicillin might help but blackleg is almost always fatal. Here, we always vaccinate for blackleg as it is a soil borne bacteria and there isn't a good treatment for it. Just a couple of thoughts. Other than injury and/or infection, I don't know what could be causing that. As it was in one leg and then showed up in others, I would go with a good course of antibiotics with short acting penicillin. Of course, I'm no vet…have you had her blood tested to determine whether there is a bacterial infection?

Last edited:
Thanks for the reply. She is home raised on my place. Has had all her vaccines. Vet seemed to think a blood test would not help. I am going to try to talk to the Vet again tomorrow to see if he has any more suggestions. Like I said, she has never been in real good condition since I got her off of the heifer development program at a year of age.

This is a 5 yr old cow I raised. Last year she was cripple on her front foot. Foot was swollen and got better after LA300 shot, stopped her limping. This winter I noticed 3 of her legs were swelling and she started limping. I had a vet examine her, and didn't really find anything, checked her hooves, no fever. Puzzled him that 1 front leg was not swollen. Gave her an anti-inflamatory shot, LA300, wormed, Multi-min. I got shot from vet and doctored her a couple weeks later. Not getting better and I think she's about gone. Any ideas from you guys? She has raised 2 calves, but has always been somewhat unthrifty since I got her back from a 5 month heifer development program.
Appears to be inflammation going on and settling in her lower legs. She looks like an old person with bad circulation. Maybe a case of hardware that never got bad enough to kill her yet?

Can you get some more photos of her standing to see the overall condition, is she scouring? Any swelling around her brisket? Any fluid under her jaw? What is her breathing like and exercise tolerance?

Ken

Thanks for the reply. She is home raised on my place. Has had all her vaccines. Vet seemed to think a blood test would not help. I am going to try to talk to the Vet again tomorrow to see if he has any more suggestions. Like I said, she has never been in real good condition since I got her off of the heifer development program at a year of age.
In that case, sounds like injury or I suppose it could be something genetic(?). If it were me, I would try a good course of antibiotics and vitamins…but then, I'm no expert. Best of luck with her. Let us know how things turn out…could be useful info for the future.

First time I've seen it in my many years of cattle raising. I will post if I get new info. Not looking good for recovery at this point.

First time I've seen it in my many years of cattle raising. I will post if I get new info. Not looking good for recovery at this point.
What part of Louisiana are you in? I'm on the eastern part of Nacogdoches, Texas…just a hop, a skip, and a jump from the Louisiana border.

I agree with hardware as a strong possibility. Coronary artery disease: think of little old ladies with their feet bulging out of their shoes. I've had my share of hardware and now every cow, retained heifer & bull gets a magnet as a prevention. That said, hardware can also be caused by a shard of glass, PVC pipe, long thorns like honey locust, sharp rocks, etc.

Usual symptoms can include swollen brisket, swollen feet, loss of condition, laying on her sternum for better air flow, labored breathing, manure gets dark & hard, may or may not have a temp, loss of appetite, sometimes drooling. Your vet can check her heart & lungs and may pinch along her back for a reaction (she'll runch up).

Latest posts