Castration Question

Help Support CattleToday:

Springfieldsimm

Reaction score
So we had these 2 calves that we wanted to band but didn't do it at weaning since they already had all that stress to go through. They are now both 10 months old and the one I had no problem but the other one there was no way. We have a bander made to do large calves I've done them at 12 months old and was still able to get it on but this one is a different story. His nuts are so big there is no way I can get them through. So a little back story. At around 2 months old he got pneumonia and I didn't get him treated soon enough and his lungs got damaged. He always lagged and weaned about 100 lbs behind all the rest. So I figured he would have small nuts but not so. I weighed him and he is 863 lbs now. What would make his nuts so big? I felt them and they felt normal shaped. I figured with him being kinda a runt he would have small ones. Do you think it is ok to cut him or should I just let him be until slaughter. I will attach a pic but I don't know if you can see the size well. I wish I would have had a way to measure them. IMG_1758.jpeg

AT his age and size, he'd do better, and you would do better, to just cut him instead of banding. Just get a single edge razor blade, cut off the bottom of the scrotum, then drop them out one at a time, and cut the chords as high up as you can. He will be over it about the time you let him out of the head gate.

I prefer cutting. My $20 Newberry knife has paid for itself several times.
That being said I do see where banding has a place.
I bought a Calcrate bander a couple years ago and probably band 40 six to nine weight bulls a year.

Question about cutting, I used blood stop powder and I'm second guessing using it. I'm worried about a hematoma if that is possible. The bottom of scrotum is cut for drainage but its so swolen they protrude out of the sack. 100% both testicles were completely removed so I don't understand what's coming out.

Question about cutting, I used blood stop powder and I'm second guessing using it. I'm worried about a hematoma if that is possible. The bottom of scrotum is cut for drainage but its so swolen they protrude out of the sack. 100% both testicles were completely removed so I don't understand what's coming out.
Welcome Bopeep. how did you deal with the testicles? How old were these calves? Sheep?? The covering of the testicles (tunica) can fill with blood and that sac may protrude through the wound. Freeing the tunica away from the testicles and then wrapping the cord around your finger and pulling until it breaks gives a relatively blood free procedure.

Ken

Latest posts