Pneumonia question

Help Support CattleToday:

Hogfarmer10

Reaction score
I know it's not an ideal time, but I calved out some heifers in July/ early August. Now, I'm having several of the calves develop pneumonia ( I did take one of the first ones to the vet to confirm it was pneumonia). Is it just mainly due to the weather? (Hot, some rain)

We call it summertime pneumonia. They get it here when it gets hot and dusty like it is now. Its almost always on calves that have not had their first work. Calves out of heifers are also vulnerable. Use a nasal vaccine as Eb recommended will help a lot.
The calves sometime just lay around a lot and don't look real sick. They may cough but not a lot. A shot of Draxxin almost always brings them out of it in less than a day.

Never have done calf vaccines. Always started vaccinating at just before weaning. Mommas had bovi shield, vision 20/20, longrange wormer, blackleg (can't recall which one, but I know it was the 10 way), and a lepto. Will look into the intranasal. I've been using resflor gold and draxxin on the worse ones.

We call it summertime pneumonia. They get it here when it gets hot and dusty like it is now. Its almost always on calves that have not had their first work. Calves out of heifers are also vulnerable. Use a nasal vaccine as Eb recommended will help a lot.
The calves sometime just lay around a lot and don't look real sick. They may cough but not a lot. A shot of Draxxin almost always brings them out of it in less than a day.
I think it was like 2 or 3 years or so ago it was pretty bad with the dry weather.

Thanks for the heads up. Guess I need to get some Inforce 3. Three more calved on Aug 22. Dry and dusty with no rain in sight.

Thanks for the heads up. Guess I need to get some Inforce 3. Three more calved on Aug 22. Dry and dusty with no rain in sight.
We hit the March-April born calves at the beginning of May with Inforce 3, Bovi-Shield Gold and a 7-way. We are preconditioning now (mid to late August) with Bovi-Shield Gold and 7-way to build up some immunity as we roll into September when the pneumonia seems to hit with the cool nights and warm to hot days. Even with vaxing them basically every 3 months or so, there can still be a summer pneumonia case or two. Some years we can't get to them for August preconditioning and wait til September. When that happens our vet has us use the Inforce 3 in addition.

My calves get Inforce 3 day 1 when I tag & pop in a First Defense bolus. Triangle 4+PH-K at appx 3 months, Vista Once at weaning. I've been through a veritable pneumonia tsunami and don't ever want to deal with that again. Rarely get pneumonia anymore but some will get it a few weeks after weaning and primarily due to aforementioned weather conditions thrown in with the stress.

Latest posts