Disadvantages of YOUR favorite breed.

Help Support CattleToday:

BAGTIC

Reaction score
"Breeds Board
Discuss the advantages and disadvantages of your favorite breed."

I see lots of people discussing the advantages of their favorite breed and the disadvantages of everyone else's favorite breed but I don't seem to see many posts where someone admits that their favorite breed has any disadvantages.

Any volunteers?

beefmasters

too much milk may lead to udder problems or slow breed back

can have loose sheath

big ears sounds like you are getting shot at when they shake their head *POW! POW!POW!*

loud colors pop up once in a while

Texas Longhorns

Discounted heavily at Sale barn (discounted for horns, color, quality/quantity of meat)
Average Texas Longhorn does not gain as rapidly as average animal of most other breed
Horns can cause problems when working
Extreme variation throughout breed (also counted as advantage)
Lack of consistency (across breed and from generation to generation)

Just the ones i could think of now... probably some more out there... i could go on for a real long time if we were talking advantages, but thats another thread

Ryan

:( Herefords-- cancer eye, white faces attract flies,
do not bring the prices of the crossbreds ( feeder calves)
at the sale pen.

The good news is : great mommas, gentle, and that
all important eye appeal! :heart:

Galloways: Too hairy for some climates, but perfect for ours. Shaggy hair also hurts at the salebarn, 'cause we all know that buyers will use any excuse to discount your calves. Other than that there ain't much.

holly heifer":yict5ay4 said:
at the sale pen.

Dont forget udder quality, feet in some lines, and the dreaded prolapse. :roll:

MD

ps I am waiting for the angus people to admit the all mighty has a problem other than you cant make enough of em for the demand, and they sell to high.

redfornow":js6cqsip said:
holly heifer":js6cqsip said:
at the sale pen.

MD

ps I am waiting for the angus people to admit the all mighty has a problem other than you cant make enough, and they sell
  • to high
sounds like a good problem to have. demand high and price. im no angus man but ill take that kind of problem anytime

:x redfornow--- how could i forget the prolaspe! We had
enough of that this spring---- boo---- hiss----- :mad:

C HOLLAND":3msxeb72 said:
to long between babies, I think we need a breed that gives us a calf every 4 months vs 12

And we need one that can eat tree bark, cactus, pine needles, and all manners of briars too.

Brandonm2":2zwgmpf6 said:
And we need one that can eat tree bark, cactus, pine needles, and all manners of briars too.

I think Longhorns can eat all those... ;-) 8)

Brandonm2":327ets4t said:
C HOLLAND":327ets4t said:
to long between babies, I think we need a breed that gives us a calf every 4 months vs 12

I have some of those allready, they must be a cross between a char and hereford, because they are white and brown in color. and they are such a BOER too.

If I were in the angus breed, I would say they cost to dang much. I have seen some angus cattle get really expensive

ALACOWMAN":1d2h6axf said:
redfornow":1d2h6axf said:
holly heifer":1d2h6axf said:
at the sale pen.

MD

ps I am waiting for the angus people to admit the all mighty has a problem other than you cant make enough, and they sell
  • to high
sounds like a good problem to have. demand high and price. im no angus man but ill take that kind of problem anytime

They have their problems also, just waiting to see if the mighty will admit to it????

MD

PS its called tongue in cheek, or a joke no breed is problem free. Nope not one. If they will not give a list of problems I know there are others that can and will help em out.

Latest posts