Disadvantages of YOUR favorite breed.

Help Support CattleToday:

I bought my first purebred angus bull this spring 14 mo. old and ill have to admit ive been more impressed with him than i thought. its been nearly 100 degrees here with the heat index 110 or more and he is grazing right beside the my brax cows he is slick and maintaining his condition.

Some Angus have Yield grade problems. One disadvantage is that so many people, IMO, put the BREED down because of things outside of the animals controle. If you say "they are funnel butted or hatchet assed" OK some are. But don't put down the BREED because of marketing ploys of breeders. Really if you want to I do not care. All breeds have some flaws. So redfornow there are some. I would like to hear the problems of the Charolais breed, Simmy, Limo, and others.

I know that this isn't a major issue, but I hink tha one of the problems with Angus is that they don't have enough hair. i.e. Show cattle.

ALACOWMAN":22ewkimz said:
i can say this much about angus breeders their as determined a bunch and dedicated as the jahovah witnesses

Thats what I am talking about people the truth....

There it is out there for all to see. :shock:

MD

Tod Dague":1z2x7ynh said:
Red Angus. Muscle/ yield grade.

Treated like a red haired step child.
With the Red Angus we don;t have the problem with YG and muscle, ours is udders.
Herefords we have a YG problem. If they marble they seem to be YG 3s.

dun

Several commercial producers in our area complain that they can't find Angus bulls anymore with good feet. But many breeds have that problem.

TheBullLady":a1i9q9o1 said:
Brahmans - feet and udder problems.

Simmentals - heat tolerancy in Texas for some is a problem.
Ive had more feet and leg problems with my simmental. but the brahman can have their teat trouble.

dun":1n0dcdy9 said:
Tod Dague":1n0dcdy9 said:
Red Angus. Muscle/ yield grade.

Treated like a red haired step child.
With the Red Angus we don;t have the problem with YG and muscle, ours is udders.
Herefords we have a YG problem. If they marble they seem to be YG 3s.

dun
I haven't had much trouble with udders, but I've got a fall calving heifer that has one floppy, big teated bag. :mad: I will let her raise the calf and send them both to the feed yard. This will be the first that we have had to cull due to udder, and she's a first calver. The only thing I can figure is the sire goes back to No Equal a couple of generations back, must have been something lurking.

SPRINGER FARMS MURRAY GRE":11gblxwf said:
Only disadvantage ofthe Murray Grey is lack of breed recognition....but it is getting better! ;-) :cboy:

:roll: Is it lack of breed recognition, or is it lack of acceptance.

;-) :oops:

Tuli due to them being consistantly low birthweight producers, they are not ideal for breeding to heavy breeds,I had to choose Simmental sires carefully when producing F1 hiefers for a neighbour.
Their good feed conversion is balanced by a slower weight gain in feedlots as they were origionally developed for grass finishing,too few to meet demand I struggled to buy start up females.

All breeds are just old rehashed composites anyway.

I like crossbred or composite cows.

Therefore, there are no faults in my favorite breed. :lol:

Top that one!

mtnman

Mntmn my friend, One could say that you open yourself up to all of the faults from all of the breeds in the composite. Just kidding. :)

Limousin

Lower performance than other two major continental breeds.
Hard-doing.
Fertility can be poor.

I love Brangus cattle but they can slope too much from hooks to pins and some can be a little high strung.