Dirt eaters for Branded

Help Support CattleToday:

************* said:
They are definitely not lacking in muscle. If they work for your operation that is all that matters.

They look well cared for, that's for sure!
On hay all winter and grass this spring Branded.

Nesikep said:
Boot Jack Bulls said:
Red Bull Breeder said:
We can give him a scratch for you. He is sure enough laid back.

An he can come up north my way if he ever needs an extended vacation!!!! :mrgreen:
Yeah, he can come even further north, but not for a vacation!.. he'll be put to work :p
Let's be honest I don't think he'd regard it as work ;-)

They are full blood.
Pretty much figured that was the case. ;-)
Impressive bulls.
Guessing relatively few breeders utilize or moreover, base their programs on full bloods.
Pet peeve...the technically incorrect application of the term purebred in reference to high percentage animals in open herd book registries.

haase said:
Nice looking bulls RBB, like always, and you did it on pasture and hey? Never would imagine.

It would have been really interesting to have seen one of those bulls developed with my nutrition program and compared him to a strictly grass developed bull.

Grain is not evil, and I don't know where you all learned that? I think it's more economics than anything. Zero inputs means more dollars in the pocket, but like I said before, you can be penny wise and pound foolish in developing a bull. But what do I know right? It's a bit presumptuous to think that you are so knowledgeable that you can accurately say whether or not your animals have everything they possibly need in their diet from grass alone to reach maximum genetic potential. If you know that, then you need to be a research scientist writing PhD level papers.

The notion that my bulls never see grass is stupid, I think you can see from my latest video that they have more inputs than they could ever possibly eat, ladino and red clover, fescue, ryegrass, timothy, and orchard grass. They get a pretty healthy diet to say the least. Our bulls have at least 3-4 acres a piece, so overstocking is not a deciding factor in developing them with grain. They get a ration every day because there are things I have mixed in the grain that makes it possible for them to take what they consume from foraging and process it even more completely than they would otherwise.

The best way to think about it is to compare an old engine to a new engine. The new engines can make a lot more horsepower with technology, not displacement. I digress. To each their own, you will never be convinced of what I say, nor do I really care to expound on this. The bulls at the top of the thread are really nice, regardless of their breed and their diet, they have merit that's for sure, and I fully acknowledge that fact.

I just give mine premium versus regular.

Why I'm using a grass fed type bull, being commercial, I need workers , im not in harsh conditions..any thing other than grass,hay water and minerals,,is just wasting money, I can be using else where..like grass,hay and minerals..

************* said:
haase said:
Nice looking bulls RBB, like always, and you did it on pasture and hey? Never would imagine.

It would have been really interesting to have seen one of those bulls developed with my nutrition program and compared him to a strictly grass developed bull.

Grain is not evil, and I don't know where you all learned that? I think it's more economics than anything. Zero inputs means more dollars in the pocket, but like I said before, you can be penny wise and pound foolish in developing a bull. But what do I know right? It's a bit presumptuous to think that you are so knowledgeable that you can accurately say whether or not your animals have everything they possibly need in their diet from grass alone to reach maximum genetic potential. If you know that, then you need to be a research scientist writing PhD level papers.

The notion that my bulls never see grass is stupid, I think you can see from my latest video that they have more inputs than they could ever possibly eat, ladino and red clover, fescue, ryegrass, timothy, and orchard grass. They get a pretty healthy diet to say the least. Our bulls have at least 3-4 acres a piece, so overstocking is not a deciding factor in developing them with grain. They get a ration every day because there are things I have mixed in the grain that makes it possible for them to take what they consume from foraging and process it even more completely than they would otherwise.

The best way to think about it is to compare an old engine to a new engine. The new engines can make a lot more horsepower with technology, not displacement. I digress. To each their own, you will never be convinced of what I say, nor do I really care to expound on this. The bulls at the top of the thread are really nice, regardless of their breed and their diet, they have merit that's for sure, and I fully acknowledge that fact.

I just give mine premium versus regular.
Branded the phrase "maximum genetic potential" is a excuse for feeding by registered breeders. These bulls have reached there genetic potential maybe a little slower than yours but they got there. I run on fescue and clover pastures. Sometimes a little wheat in the spring. I also have a Bermuda for some grazing in the summer. You jump to extremes pretty easy. Most of us have decent grass.

Branded, never said grain is evil, always like a bull that can survive on his natural surroundings, have bought enough to know that I don't want something to fall apart after I get it home.

haase said:
Branded, never said grain is evil, always like a bull that can survive on his natural surroundings, have bought enough to know that I don't want something to fall apart after I get it home.

I've heard the "fall apart" phrase used frequently around here, but from what I have seen it's either poor genetics, or the people who bought the bull had no business owning the bull let alone a herd, because they didn't even have adequate hay or pasture to raise any cattle, much less the bull.

A properly conditioned bull shouldn't fall apart unless he is being starved, or as is usually the case, being worked into the ground. There are people who expect their bull to service 50 cows, then the neighbor borrows the bull, then a relative uses him for a while, and so on until the bull is trashed.

I'm in no way saying you or others on this thread do this, but I know for a fact that it's done on farms near me. They have to get their money's worth out of him.....

Dude, you're raising few head of extreme type angus cattle and you went to make assumptions that folks shouldn't be in cattle business if their bulls fall apart. If that happens, they will seek out a new seller with better bulls.

Muddy said:
Dude, you're raising few head of extreme type angus cattle and you went to make assumptions that folks shouldn't be in cattle business if their bulls fall apart. If that happens, they will seek out a new seller with better bulls.

That's the way we do it around here Muddy. I know a couple of people who sell top of the line bulls very reasonable that work.

True Grit Farms said:
Thin sale barn cows flourish in our management and fat over conditioned bulls fall apart. A fat boy can't keep up with a cheerleader.

Vince, would you be willing to explain "falling apart" versus "melting". I hear these terms and interpret them to mean that the bulls "lose weight". Is that correct? Or do you mean their feet break down? Or do they suffer injuries because they are carrying too much weight.

Bright Raven said:
True Grit Farms said:
Thin sale barn cows flourish in our management and fat over conditioned bulls fall apart. A fat boy can't keep up with a cheerleader.

Vince, would you be willing to explain "falling apart" versus "melting". I hear these terms and interpret them to mean that the bulls "lose weight". Is that correct? Or do you mean their feet break down? Or do they suffer injuries because they are carrying too much weight.

Most every bull is going to melt, I expect that. But some will fall apart and it'll be 2+ years before they get acclimated and start putting cover back on. We haven't had any breeding or foot issues yet, but I change bulls every couple of years.

Branded, my comment on RBBs bull was that it did a great job on good breeding and natural surroundings, it's like having a calf that has had creep feed till weaning and their weaning weight is 875 pounds, to me that's how epds get screwed up, the only time we ever fed calfs was when pasture was gone and that was usually during a drought.

True Grit Farms said:
Bright Raven said:
True Grit Farms said:

Most every bull is going to melt, I expect that. But some will fall apart and it'll be 2+ years before they get acclimated and start putting cover back on. We haven't had any breeding or foot issues yet, but I change bulls every couple of years.

Losing weight is nothing but a yawn. Who cares? Right. But if they are falling apart (I assume you mean structurally - penis, legs, back, hip, feet, etc), that seems to be more of a genetic problem than conditioning. If a bull is over conditioned, he can get in shape by putting him in an environment that is in balance. But if you are seeing structural failures, most of that is going to be the result of genetics or perhaps abuse. Is that correct? I ask because this rhetoric is often repeated on CT with not explanation.

************* said:
I've heard the "fall apart" phrase used frequently around here, but from what I have seen it's either poor genetics, or the people who bought the bull had no business owning the bull let alone a herd, because they didn't even have adequate hay or pasture to raise any cattle, much less the bull.
You're full of crap. Pure and simple. I'll give you a pass on the poor genetics part but I don't think you meant it the way I interpret it.

Latest posts