On the hunt for Brahmas...again!

Help Support CattleToday:

Brute and Caustic live quite a ways from Caldwell. Brute is in far SE Tx and Caustic over near the Tx/La state line in East Texas.

CT member 1982vette lives in or right outside Caldwell Tx. That's Burleson County.

RafterS is down near Navasota.

https://www.cattletoday.com/members/1982vett.7795/
(I used to live there, back in the days of the early-mid 80s Austin Chalk drilling boom.)

CT member Rockdale is about 35 miles NW 0f Caldwell.
https://www.cattletoday.com/members/rockdale.24685/

The rest of us (and more) live pretty far from Caldwell. (locations are 'approximate' )
View attachment 27299
Thanks, @greybeard . Looks like it is closer to I-10 rather than I-20.

As long as you don't have to take I-10 thru Houston.
Some of the State highways in that area are pretty good. I recently went from my home here to both East Texas and a month later up to Paris Texas (far NE Texas) and avoided the interstates altogether, but I was not hauling a trailer either.
I frequently have to go to Temple for Dr appointments and I-35 there can be a parking lot.
Getting down to Caldwell from here is a breeze on 190 and 36. Coming from the East, I'd be tempted to stay on 190 then 30 all the way into Bryan College Station. 21 across the Brazos and into Caldwell

Last edited:
There's another CT member here in Lyons Tx, which is about 15 miles south down hiway 36 from the sale you're interested in.
Tex452

If you actually GO to the sale, best place to eat in Caldwell is the Mexican food Masfajitas, right off 36 S there in town. Ate there 2-3 times last year. Has a cantina too. ;)

Warren , got my Alabama Cattlemen's magazine today . 2 sales you might check on .Blackwater cattle co . 440 head Brahman Hereford cross females. Lake Park Ga April 29 . #2 southern classic April 8 reg Brahman and f-1 sale hattisburg Mississippi. Didn't say how many to be sold

@1982vett , @tex452 , are any of you going to that sale next Saturday in Caldwell?
I missed a good sale today in cameran, they had about 30 first calf heifers all wet bag, they just needed some groceries.
Plus a set of Brahman heifers that needed groceries.
They sent us a video of them, me or my son could make it.

there's a guy in Athen
The man I bought the 80 Brahmas for, wants another 50 or more. He really like the black hereford calves that some of them had, and wants to breed some more. He also saw the bulls we used on the Corr herd last month, and wants to try his hand at creating some of them. so he wants some more Brahmas to breed to Chi-angus and Black Simmental, and use them for creating " CHi-Brangus" and " Black Simbrah". I am finding good Brahma cows are a lot more now than a few months ago when I found the 80 heifers. He is looking at $2500 and up. Gonna be hard to find that many open right now...most will be pairs or heavy bred about to calve. Scott's brother whose bulls we used, has been developing his crosses for a while, and offered to sell him 10 Br x ChiAng cows bred to a black Simm, and 10 br x black Simm bred to a Chi-Angus, which would save my client a year of cross breeding, and he agreed to buy them. They will all be pairs by the time we get them, they are calving now. So, I just need to find 30 Brahmas. I can tell I am getting old, because until here lately I enjoyed the hell out of these projects. Now I almost dread it. The countless hours on the phone and computer, and the trips to go check some out. I want to go fishing like most sensible retired people do! But, these trades I have made the past year has enabled me to pay a nearly $200k hospital bill from last summer's heart trouble. The deal we worked on these is I buy them as cheap as I can and he pays me $100 a head, so I can make $5k. I think after this I am done. The only other thing I have left for this client, is getting him 3 cow horses, and coming down to work cows with him a couple times to show them how to use them. That is fun, though, not work.

Anyhow, y;all see ads for Brahmas shoot them to me, or if you know of breeders in the south send me their info.
There's a guy in Athens Tx that usually has a bunch of pretty good young brahma's for sale, you might try him, he may be able to fill your order, I haven't talked to him a while but I bought a pretty nice bull from him a while back and he doesn't get carried away on price. His name is Wade Olson, PM me and I'll send you his number

Warren , got my Alabama Cattlemen's magazine today . 2 sales you might check on .Blackwater cattle co . 440 head Brahman Hereford cross females. Lake Park Ga April 29 . #2 southern classic April 8 reg Brahman and f-1 sale hattisburg Mississippi. Didn't say how many to be sold
Coach, that one in Mississippi is put on by the same outfit as the one inCaldwell next Saturday. I saw it on the wensite for the Caldwell sale. That shure would be a closer haul than it would be from Texas.

I didn't know they were having one.
But I probably will just to see how they sell.
We are interested in the 23 breds and 34 opens. We are set up to bid online, and they are supposed to send me the pics/videos, and catalouge once they get it ready. I would still prefer for someone I trust to put eyes on them. I thought I might ask someone, like you, to maybe look them over and call me about them before the sale starts. Would you want to do that?

We are interested in the 23 breds and 34 opens. We are set up to bid online, and they are supposed to send me the pics/videos, and catalouge once they get it ready. I would still prefer for someone I trust to put eyes on them. I thought I might ask someone, like you, to maybe look them over and call me about them before the sale starts. Would you want to do that?
If I'm there I can.

Latest posts