Dirt eaters for Branded

Help Support CattleToday:

************* said:
I can't confirm this, but I have a strong suspicion that "fat bulls" are akin to fat humans, too many carbs, little exercise, and what doesn't get used turns to fat. Feed with more protein tends to cost more, hence the reason for feeding cheaper substitutes that are high carb. I think some people develop bulls by putting a lot of fat on them versus muscle. Keep bulls confined in a small space and with little exercise, throw the corn at them, and it's not a surprise that they get fat. Give them lots of room, keep the water and food at different places in order to make them walk a lot, funny thing, they don't get fat.

People may disagree with what I've said, but I've not had anyone complain to me that bulls they have purchased from our operation fall apart or need to be pre-conditioned. Our bulls are turn key ready for service, they don't need a boot camp to get them ready. If I had to "fix" a bull before turnout, I would expect a steep discount from the seller.

Exercise is not an issue here. My bulls after weaning go to a 30 acre pasture. There is not a level spot in it. You talk about your farm being steep. I don't see it. When you get a chance, come and see what steep is. There was a CT visitor here Tueday. He could not believe that I mow some of the terrain.

So my bulls get exercise. The problem is when you put 7 weaning weight bulls on 30 acres beginning in the middle of March, the result is going to be an absolute all you can eat buffet of excellent forage.

Latest posts