Demise of the Family Farm

Help Support CattleToday:

callmefence said:
hurleyjd said:
I had a diary once in my life as I thought that was the way of life. I was raised on a Diary and all of the uncles and neighbors had a dairy. But the same as any industry you had to always be improving and changing and it took money. I sold everything in 1981 all equipment except the land. Each year we were gradually whittling away the equity I had in the farm. My wife and I each found jobs and never looked back. Now I can take my retirement and sink it into a cow and calf operation that loses money each year. I am as old as the couple in the following story and realize that no way can I pass the farm on to the younger grand kids in the family and they make a living with it. But to realize the value in the land I need to sell it as do folks that have capital gains in a home that could be in the hundred thousands. If they sell they still have to have a place to live. The only saving grace in my and the wife's situation is we have a home that is not part of the farm. There is changes happening now and you have to change or get run over. Pretty well as the same as the share croppers in the south that up and moved to the industrial north and to California. What do you do with people that have no skills to do anything else?

https://www.yahoo.com/finance/news/theyre-trying-wipe-us-off-181648150.html

Teach em to build fence. Chopping all those farms up into 5-10 acre ranchetts creates alot of fence.

The exact opposite is going on here paper companies selling off larger tracts to doctors, lawyers and Indian Chiefs literally.
You can hire a Mexican cheap to build fence.

Farms are seeing the same fate that small Texas towns have seen for decades, and i assume other places as well. The death of one begats same for the other.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9IUj1mDENg

Caustic Burno said:
callmefence said:
hurleyjd said:
I had a diary once in my life as I thought that was the way of life. I was raised on a Diary and all of the uncles and neighbors had a dairy. But the same as any industry you had to always be improving and changing and it took money. I sold everything in 1981 all equipment except the land. Each year we were gradually whittling away the equity I had in the farm. My wife and I each found jobs and never looked back. Now I can take my retirement and sink it into a cow and calf operation that loses money each year. I am as old as the couple in the following story and realize that no way can I pass the farm on to the younger grand kids in the family and they make a living with it. But to realize the value in the land I need to sell it as do folks that have capital gains in a home that could be in the hundred thousands. If they sell they still have to have a place to live. The only saving grace in my and the wife's situation is we have a home that is not part of the farm. There is changes happening now and you have to change or get run over. Pretty well as the same as the share croppers in the south that up and moved to the industrial north and to California. What do you do with people that have no skills to do anything else?

Teach em to build fence. Chopping all those farms up into 5-10 acre ranchetts creates alot of fence.

The exact opposite is going on here paper companies selling off larger tracts to doctors, lawyers and Indian Chiefs literally.

Not that's insured, bonded, pays taxes and will finance the work, no money down....for a fair rate of course...... ;-)

It takes a lot of money to start farming and keep farming. In 1965 we built a small dairy barn on the place. Bought 35 head of cows. This was on fifty acres. We got along pretty well with it could buy the best alfalfa hay available for $35 a ton. Fertilizer was around $45 a ton. A new tractor in the 45 hp range would be $3250 a new pickup could be had for $1800. We had all of this and was still able to pay bills and satisfy the notes at the Production Credit Bank each year and did for about seven years.
Ever thing we needed started going up and up each year until it was a break even situation. When we first started this operation we only had less than $50 thousand involved in it. The fifty acres cost us $5000 and had to clear the brush form some of it. Needless to say we did struggle but kept getting ahead a little each year. We look back with fond memories and we have photos of the cow in the pasture and forty years later my son can look at the photos and name each cow. There was hornet, brownie and prunie to recall three of them. Alas the memories of an old man and the joys as long as we forget about the knee deep mud we would wade and the rubber boot would stick and you would pull out of it and the sock foot would go in the mud. Try not to remember the bad times. Finally after seven years the wife found a job in town and ten years later I did also and sold the cows and kept the land. At one time the small cow calf herd made a little money along the way. But now it takes spending money from investments each year to break even and you get a tax break because you lose money each year. But memories will not pay the bills. You have to know when you have had enough and move on.

Caustic Burno said:
callmefence said:
hurleyjd said:

You have not hired any Mexicans lately have you. They charge American wages now.

We're thinking of putting everything in trees. Not just pines, but some hardwoods. We wont see anything from them, but our kids will. We have saw timber stands right now, solar panels hopefully in our future, so we plan to retire from ranching. Done it over 40 years, kids all went in different directions, I don't want to be wrestling cattle into my 70s. Planting trees will keep our ag exemption and give our kids a retirement, and the land stays in the family...And in 30+ years if someone wants to ranch, they'll have an opportunity where they wouldn't if they had to start from scratch....

hurleyjd said:
Caustic Burno said:
callmefence said:

You have not hired any Mexicans lately have you. They charge American wages now.

I miss the Mexicans that worked .

This hits pretty hard, cleared out the medications and supplies from the FIL's yesterday. None of the others have any livestock. It was raining today, spent it in the shop going through all of it, most medications long expired. A few treasures found.

As farmers get older it is hard to make a decision as to what to do. We all wanted our kids to do better than us, so we encouraged them to get an education and a career away from farming.

And that is what they did. Very few of them made the decision that they would like to return to the farm.

Then it comes to how do you transition the farm. Most of us have worked the land and cows all of our lives and there have been times when it wasn't very easy. But be honest, would you have done differently?

It is sad to see the small farms disappear. I was down a blacktop road just a few months ago and many places where a homestead once stood were gone, no sign that one existed. The disappearance of the small farms also affects our towns and the businesses in them.

At one time we had about a half dozen grocery stores, numerous restaurants, gas stations, clothing, hardware and other stores. Ag dealerships of all the brands. They all thrived.

Today, we have no grocery store, (except a walmart), our square is almost empty of businesses, very few restaurants, and we have no ag equipment dealers. This is what is happening and will continue to happen as the family farms disappear from rural America.

Define a "family farm". I am surrounded by family farms who seem to be doing just fine. Before I retired I worked with a number of family farms. Can you make it milking 35 cows or running 50 beef cows? The answer is no. But there are a lot of families running 200 to 300 cows and doing just fine. I know people milking 200 with one employee. The majority of farms in this country are family operations. If they are incorporated it is for tax purposes.

cbcr said:
As farmers get older it is hard to make a decision as to what to do. We all wanted our kids to do better than us, so we encouraged them to get an education and a career away from farming.

And that is what they did. Very few of them made the decision that they would like to return to the farm.

Then it comes to how do you transition the farm. Most of us have worked the land and cows all of our lives and there have been times when it wasn't very easy. But be honest, would you have done differently?

It is sad to see the small farms disappear. I was down a blacktop road just a few months ago and many places where a homestead once stood were gone, no sign that one existed. The disappearance of the small farms also affects our towns and the businesses in them.

At one time we had about a half dozen grocery stores, numerous restaurants, gas stations, clothing, hardware and other stores. Ag dealerships of all the brands. They all thrived.

Today, we have no grocery store, (except a walmart), our square is almost empty of businesses, very few restaurants, and we have no ag equipment dealers. This is what is happening and will continue to happen as the family farms disappear from rural America.

There was a time we had Deere, Massey and Ford tractor dealership along with GM, Ford, Chevrolet and Dodge dealers.
None exist today.

Caustic Burno said:
cbcr said:

There was a time we had Deere, Massey and Ford tractor dealership along with GM, Ford, Chevrolet and Dodge dealers.
None exist today.

A hundred years ago my little town had 4 hotels, 2 saloons, a two story dance hall (upstairs was a Odd Fellows lodge), 2 churches, 3 grocery stores, 2 big warehouses, a barber shop, meat market, and a drug store. Besides the nice railway depot, there was 2 section houses, a stockyard at the rail line, 3 livery stables, 2 blacksmith shops, a school, and a post office.
Now there is a post office where the counter is only open 2 hours a day. The trains still go through but they never stop. The freeway make it a short trip to Baker or Ontario. In the past it was a long day horseback or several days by wagon. Even 50 years ago people just didn't travel like they do today. The roads weren't as good. Vehicles were as good and didn't last as long. People just simply didn't travel like they do today. They wouldn't think of driving 30 miles to the grocery store or 50 miles to a car dealership to get the best buy like they do today.

Dave said:
Caustic Burno said:
cbcr said:

None exist today.

A hundred years ago my little town had 4 hotels, 2 saloons, a two story dance hall (upstairs was a Odd Fellows lodge), 2 churches, 3 grocery stores, 2 big warehouses, a barber shop, meat market, and a drug store. Besides the nice railway depot, there was 2 section houses, a stockyard at the rail line, 3 livery stables, 2 blacksmith shops, a school, and a post office.
Now there is a post office where the counter is only open 2 hours a day. The trains still go through but they never stop. The freeway make it a short trip to Baker or Ontario. In the past it was a long day horseback or several days by wagon. Even 50 years ago people just didn't travel like they do today. The roads weren't as good. Vehicles were as good and didn't last as long. People just simply didn't travel like they do today. They wouldn't think of driving 30 miles to the grocery store or 50 miles to a car dealership to get the best buy like they do today.

I don't even drive to the grocery store anymore. I order it online and it gets delivered to my door.

Dave said:
Define a "family farm". I am surrounded by family farms who seem to be doing just fine. Before I retired I worked with a number of family farms. Can you make it milking 35 cows or running 50 beef cows? The answer is no. But there are a lot of families running 200 to 300 cows and doing just fine. I know people milking 200 with one employee. The majority of farms in this country are family operations. If they are incorporated it is for tax purposes.

Are they running on government land too?

HDRider said:
Dave said:

Are they running on government land too?

Government land are not you can bet their getting run on country, as cattle should be. Not getting feed dumped over the fence everyday. ....much like they raise cattle in Brazil. efficiently

Latest posts