Craigslist cattle

Help Support CattleToday:

I once visited Select Sires bull housing facility. They had a separate section for Jersey's. They had it set up so no person ever stepped foot into an open pen or area where a Jersey bull was. They had some Jersey bull calves tied in a row. Said they were killers.

I bought a 400 pound Jersey heifer to feet out for $200, and I had a ewe with twin lambs in the pasture. That heifer tried to kill the sheep. It was like zero to full on sheep killer in 2 seconds. I had to protect the sheep or they would have been dead. Trying to herd them into a separate enclosure was hard with the circling heifer-from-hell intent on getting to them.

I bought a 400 pound Jersey heifer to feet out for $200, and I had a ewe with twin lambs in the pasture. That heifer tried to kill the sheep. It was like zero to full on sheep killer in 2 seconds. I had to protect the sheep or they would have been dead. Trying to herd them into a separate enclosure was hard with the circling heifer-from-hell intent on getting to them.
Maybe that is how the feud between cattlemen and sheepmen started.

Has to be a typo right
The farm across from me raises and sells registered highlands. They're halter trained and the whole 9.

That's about right in line with the money they get for their animals.

They've been selling bred cows and getting $7,000-12,000 every dang time. Their calves bring $3,500-10,000. Steers being the cheapeŕ ones. A mini highland could bring BIG money.

Blows me away.

The farm across from me raises and sells registered highlands. They're halter trained and the whole 9.

That's about right in line with the money they get for their animals.

They've been selling bred cows and getting $7,000-12,000 every dang time. Their calves bring $3,500-10,000. Steers being the cheapeŕ ones. A mini highland could bring BIG money.

Blows me away.
Good to be early in the pyramid scheme I suppose…

They've been selling bred cows and getting $7,000-12,000 every dang time. Their calves bring $3,500-10,000.
People lose their minds over pets. I know a friend who would buy 1 or 2 IF she could afford it.

People lose their minds over pets. I know a friend who would buy 1 or 2 IF she could afford it.
I met a lady up in SD that had fallen for the miniature horse craze and had some luck selling them for big bucks. And suddenly no one wanted them. She had so many she couldn't sell that she couldn't afford the feed for them. I went over to see if she'd let me feed a few for her at my own place and she wanted me to buy them. I took her a pickup load of hay but I didn't want to buy them. SD is hard on animals in the winter, and mini horses aren't built for it. I felt bad for them... but not so much for her after I met her.

At a family event last weekend, my sister-in-law and the wife of one of my nephews both asked if they bought a Highland, could they keep it at our ranch. Da hell??????? And NO! Unless you eventually want it bred to an Angus bull - and deal with the ensuing trainwreck. Not to mention biosecurity . . . .

At a family event last weekend, my sister-in-law and the wife of one of my nephews both asked if they bought a Highland, could they keep it at our ranch. Da hell??????? And NO! Unless you eventually want it bred to an Angus bull - and deal with the ensuing trainwreck. Not to mention biosecurity . . . .
Gotta admit... I have no problem with highland, belties, or anything that is considered full sized and beef. The only ones I'd say no to are the miniatures and I don't want any dairy cows. It's not like I would get rid of any good cows to make a hobby farm with them.

Wife has a co-worker who bought 4 mini highlander heifers and 2 bulls and has over 50k bucks invested in 6 animals. Says they will sell the offspring for 8-10k a piece so payback will be quick.....

Im waiting to see how long that market lasts.
Probably last about as long as the Ostrich market in the 80's or 90's. Eggs were $1500 each one year and worthless the next year.

Latest posts