Could you survive

Help Support CattleToday:

wacocowboy":1v22fppz said:
I see a lot people talking about the cows and feeding them. Forget that they will be the first thing yuppies go after. I am worried about me surviving not my livestock. Take my dog and two younger horses and the rest are on their own.

I wonder how many people depend on meds to live day to day they would die off pretty fast.

The Mrs. would be on the short list after three months of cardio meds ran out unless you could steal more.
She was in the hospital most of last week.
Thing I have pondered what caliber to tote with you.
Bout decided 22 LR would be about the best for semi auto pistol and rifle.
You could bug out with four or five bricks pretty easy.

Caustic Burno":2hcgvf9n said:
wacocowboy":2hcgvf9n said:
I see a lot people talking about the cows and feeding them. Forget that they will be the first thing yuppies go after. I am worried about me surviving not my livestock. Take my dog and two younger horses and the rest are on their own.

I wonder how many people depend on meds to live day to day they would die off pretty fast.

The Mrs. would be on the short list after three months of cardio meds ran out unless you could steal more.

Sorry to hear about your wife hope she is doing better now.

I was planning on packing all my guns and ammo. Pistols on me and long guns on my two pack horses.

cowgirl8":dez1t5da said:
Bestoutwest":dez1t5da said:
The big thing I would be concerned with is medical care. We all saw what happened when the Wanna Cry virus struck Europe. Since everything is EHR these days, it would be massively scary to see what would happen with our medical care. Not to mention police, fire and EMS all rely on electronic/computerized info all the time to navigate and communicate. All lines of communication would be shut off. It would be like the Wild West again, and honestly, I think things would be pretty hairy. Not something that I'd like to see.
So many people are alive because of medications...they'll be thinned out quick. How many dialysis clinics were there last century..0.. There is one in almost every shopping center now....
If you aren't healthy and alive because of a medication, you're sunk. One reason to do what you can to stay healthy...

:nod: :nod: :nod:

I concur, with both of these statements.

wacocowboy":kwubdhf0 said:
Caustic Burno":kwubdhf0 said:
wacocowboy":kwubdhf0 said:

I was planning on packing all my guns and ammo. Pistols on me and long guns on my two pack horses.

I'm staying put and taking my chances. I know what I have and where I have it. I personally can't see trying to carry food, water and the rest of my supplies to parts unknown.

:2cents: :cboy: GA can be hot and humid in summer. My downstairs is huge and underground so I would stay down there. 35-65 degrees year round.
Cows, fish, deer, squirrels, rabbits on my farm. My brother has cows, goats and pigs on his farm. Have a large garden this year. Neighbors are mostly cousins.
3 separate water sources independent of electricity on my place.
Only way I can think of to keep stuff cool would be downstairs or in the creek. No refrigeration would be the biggest problem. Might need to look into a solar refrigerator in the future for emergencies. Next three items on my budget list are wood heater, wood splitter and portable generator.

wacocowboy":ve4vejty said:
Caustic Burno":ve4vejty said:
wacocowboy":ve4vejty said:

Think you would have to be smart can't take all the oddball stuff.
12 gauge 45 acp 9mm 223 and 30-30
You most likely would be able to scrounge one of the above.

True Grit Farms":a3ggt1lh said:
wacocowboy":a3ggt1lh said:
Caustic Burno":a3ggt1lh said:

I'm staying put and taking my chances. I know what I have and where I have it. I personally can't see trying to carry food, water and the rest of my supplies to parts unknown.

I will be in the thicket if I get run off this hill. Who ever takes it will have trouble sleeping

Caustic Burno":2xfl9mij said:
wacocowboy":2xfl9mij said:
Caustic Burno":2xfl9mij said:

Think you would have to be smart can't take all the oddball stuff.
12 gauge 45 acp 9mm 223 and 30-30
You most likely would be able to scrounge one of the above.

All I own is 30-06, 12g, AR15 that will shoot 5.56 and 223, 22, 40, and 9. I got guns I could snipe from far or if need be put you down close.

True Grit Farms":1flqdrya said:
wacocowboy":1flqdrya said:

A lot of people are brain washed into taking meds to live. The fittest will live the rest will perish, the obama care would be fixed in a month also.

You would think different if it were your kin. These cemeteries around here are full of kids a lot of my kin died from stuff you don't even hear of
today. Typhoid, Cholera stuff as simple as the flu.

Caustic Burno":gylami96 said:
True Grit Farms":gylami96 said:
wacocowboy":gylami96 said:

A lot of people are brain washed into taking meds to live. The fittest will live the rest will perish, the obama care would be fixed in a month also.

You would think different if it were your kin. These cemeteries around here are full of kids a lot of my kin died from stuff you don't even hear of

I can definitely relate to all that personally, just stating the obvious. When it's you our your family it's never a good thing.

Caustic Burno":3jhdz4s8 said:
True Grit Farms":3jhdz4s8 said:
wacocowboy":3jhdz4s8 said:

Truly sorry to hear you are dealing with illness. And I agree. Meds can extend the life of our love ones.

Comment: Flu may be common relative to say Typhoid but, I would not call it simple.

Common as the flu is what I believe he meant.
1918 Spanish flu pandemic killed more people than WWI about 3% of the world's population
Remember my Grandma telling of a couple of neighbors sons. Young men as strong and healthy farm boys you'd ever
find, got hit with the Spanish Flu and both dead by the end of the week. Scary times about even attending a funeral.

Son of Butch":1m9w3bqw said:
Common as the flu is what I believe he meant.
1918 Spanish flu pandemic killed more people than WWI about 3% of the world's population
Remember my Grandma telling of a couple of neighbors sons. Young men as strong and healthy farm boys you'd ever
find, got hit with the Spanish Flu and both dead by the end of the week. Scary times about even attending a funeral.
It got my greatgrandma. She died of it in one day. Her fifth baby came that day too. She was 26.

Bestoutwest":1wp44ily said:
boondocks":1wp44ily said:
M-5":1wp44ily said:
I assume its for chunking pit bulls or maybe jerky IDK why you would need that unless you had a fort
Sorry, I'll amend my list:
2(a) Build fort

Are you talking wooden palisade type fort, or like a castle? Because wood burns, and I'm sure that some folks would still have fuel, enough to burn you out at least.

I read a story about a fort colony in the west. It was middle of winter and they had to continuously shovel around the fort so the Indians couldn't climb in and take them. Their plan, if it came to it, was to put the women and children in the black powder storage room and blow it up so the Indians couldn't harm them.

I'm glad I don't live in the Wild West.

Well, Lord knows we have enough stone in our fields to build the Taj Mahal, so if my back holds up, I guess that might work!
We have a bazillion deer, wild apple and pear trees, grapes everywhere, wild turkey, rabbits, 2 natural springs, and are on a hill that no one wants to come up in winter (not even me :lol:
The hard thing would be keeping all our "new best friends" away. Oh, that and the fact that my shooting skills (and eye-hand coordination in general) are pathetic.

I've seen power out for 10 days before. Some of you have seen longer I'm sure. But after about 7 days we had cooked all our food and were out of water and gas. We had to go about an hour north to refill and restock. All the stores close were out of everything. We've also had 2 leaks on pipelines in the last couple years. Every gas station in the area was out within 3 days. If you don't have what you need already you won't get it.

Wild game wouldn't last as long as folks think. We're in one of the highest deer and pig popultions in the US. But when everyone start eating them they will be gone quick. My grandfather told me during the depression deer where quite scarce. If word got out someone had seen one. Everyone was on the hunt.

callmefence":2amhopr7 said:
Wild game wouldn't last as long as folks think. We're in one of the highest deer and pig popultions in the US. But when everyone start eating them they will be gone quick. My grandfather told me during the depression deer where quite scarce. If word got out someone had seen one. Everyone was on the hunt.

You are correct. Deer were non-existent when I was 8 in this region. Game populations would disappear rapidly.

callmefence":3m18ng4c said:

They were all but wiped out here according to dad, turkeys went first.

Craig Miller":pwgobyxx said:
I've seen power out for 10 days before. Some of you have seen longer I'm sure. But after about 7 days we had cooked all our food and were out of water and gas. We had to go about an hour north to refill and restock. All the stores close were out of everything. We've also had 2 leaks on pipelines in the last couple years. Every gas station in the area was out within 3 days. If you don't have what you need already you won't get it.
Was without power 31 days and running water almost 3 weeks in Rita.
Some were out a lot longer it got very educational quick.

Latest posts