Could you survive

Help Support CattleToday:

Caustic Burno":3isw96hs said:
Stocker Steve":3isw96hs said:
Some of the big thinkers feel an eventual big event is something/some group taking down the credit system. So credit or debit cards most people rely on will not work, and paper money ATMs will go dry quickly...
Ammo due to the very reason you listed in Rita there were desperate people that operate in a plastic world.
I saw National Guard troops in almost every store that was open and it was cash only, that is where it got nasty.
I had a diesel generator to run the house went through 400 gallons in a month. The only reason I could do that is I filled the 600 gallon tank before landing

Got the ammo and 1500 gallons, but short on toilet paper. :( What currency would be the cheapest wipe?

Aaron":qilrww0y said:
I think it was Ron that laughed at the idea of toilet paper, but that would be a big asset. A pack of 12 would be worth a small fortune to most people.

Aaron - - Do you have some fishing tackle set aside for when you get tired of Certified Hereford Beef?

Stocker Steve":1i00ug32 said:
Caustic Burno":1i00ug32 said:
Stocker Steve":1i00ug32 said:
Some of the big thinkers feel an eventual big event is something/some group taking down the credit system. So credit or debit cards most people rely on will not work, and paper money ATMs will go dry quickly...
Ammo due to the very reason you listed in Rita there were desperate people that operate in a plastic world.
I saw National Guard troops in almost every store that was open and it was cash only, that is where it got nasty.
I had a diesel generator to run the house went through 400 gallons in a month. The only reason I could do that is I filled the 600 gallon tank before landing

Got the ammo and 1500 gallons, but short on toilet paper. :( What currency would be the cheapest wipe?

Not the cheapest but I'd buy Charmin, that should trade at a premium.

Stocker Steve":3aii3pwe said:
Caustic Burno":3aii3pwe said:
Stocker Steve":3aii3pwe said:

The cheap gas station single ply would be the equivalent of 10,000 Iranian Rials (and you would probably get a better wipe with the Rial).

The Charmin Ultra 4 ply would be worth at least one Grant.

Stocker Steve":28ytp8ym said:
Aaron":28ytp8ym said:
I think it was Ron that laughed at the idea of toilet paper, but that would be a big asset. A pack of 12 would be worth a small fortune to most people.

Aaron - - Do you have some fishing tackle set aside for when you get tired of Certified Hereford Beef?

Not me. I'll take red meat over fish any day. The older I get, the less I want to eat anything out of the water. Everyone flushes their drugs down the toilet and they all end up in the same place and in the marine food supply.

Stocker Steve":3qpul9ci said:
Caustic Burno":3qpul9ci said:
Stocker Steve":3qpul9ci said:

Your old ragged shirt cut into strips.

TexasBred":2n9dy83d said:
Nobody really has a clue because we have never had to face it. All we have are stories from many years ago which would not necessarily transfer to today.

3.7 million people living off grid right now would argue with you.

HDRider":osfqg1i9 said:
Remember, we don't have the Sears catalog any more.
Don't need it. Enough dam circulars/ad papers/paper equivalent of robo calls come in the mail each year to make 10 S&R catalogs.

backhoeboogie":38cymupc said:
TexasBred":38cymupc said:
Nobody really has a clue because we have never had to face it. All we have are stories from many years ago which would not necessarily transfer to today.

"Off the grid" simple means not using public utilities. Wonder how many still take advantage of many of the other good old modern conveniences. We're not talking about living permanently without utilities. We're talking about living "Post apocalyptic war" where those "choices" disappear.

TexasBred":rxtyb0ir said:
backhoeboogie":rxtyb0ir said:
TexasBred":rxtyb0ir said:

"Off the grid" simple means not using public utilities. Wonder how many still take advantage of many of the other good old modern conveniences. We're not talking about living permanently without utilities. We're talking about living "Post apocalyptic war" where those "choices" disappear.

Living off grid without propane wouldn't be any fun. I like the way it is right now, let's try and not screw it up to much.

Don't you just hate when the electricity goes out for several hours and all you do is think of things you could do while its out but, nope, takes electricity...and every time you go into a room, you flip the light switch....Same with water, if the water is off, i'll go to wash my hands 100 times.....

TexasBred":2nwfcw8l said:
backhoeboogie":2nwfcw8l said:
TexasBred":2nwfcw8l said:

I won't be running out and crafting a crock water bottle or spinning cotton into thread.

The soles of my shoes will wear out. Eventually.

I could survive until the mobs of city rioters swarm the countryside looking for food and water and they overtook me and the family.

BK9954":2hefe2tl said:
I could survive until the mobs of city rioters swarm the countryside looking for food and water and they overtook me and the family.

That is the problem with being isolated
guess you would have to figure out IED's cause you got to sleep sometimes.
Secondly sure be easy pickings checking your stuff by yourself.

I lived for the better part of a year up on the Olympic Peninsula. We were 3 miles from power. It was like going back to the 20's or so. Wood cook stove, wood heat, kerosene lamps, a hand pump on the back porch, an ice box, and an out house. It wasn't all that difficult. The biggest problem would not be keeping myself alive and well. Or even comfortable. The problem would be those millions of people who can't feed themselves.
We have had wide spread power outages that last over a week with no adverse issues. Lots of wining and crying by the city people but no panic.

Latest posts