Could you survive

Help Support CattleToday:

Keeping mobs of people away that have firearms day and night, and no electricity for spotlighting, would be the biggest problem. If an EMP hit and we lost all electronics, it would just get hairy with no vehicles to haul hay or do heavy duty work etc....

RanchMan90":3mtyzxhr said:
They can have my guns. Bullets first!
Gunshots will probably draw a good crowd. Gangs thinking you've shot something good to eat and gonna make sure you share it.

TexasBred":wygkak4b said:
RanchMan90":wygkak4b said:
They can have my guns. Bullets first!
Gunshots will probably draw a good crowd. Gangs thinking you've shot something good to eat and gonna make sure you share it.
True. It's probably best to have a plan for this. I better binge watch a few seasons of the walking dead to study up, the dead simulating the city folk droves :pop:

wacocowboy":i4h8ezl9 said:
Jo post in what you are eating got me thinking.

If something happened tomorrow say the electrical grid is wiped out nationwide and there was no electricity, if you water is pumped with electric pumps no water, no fuel, no money, no grocery store, no phones, all the convenient stuff is gone could you survive? Could you live off the land catch and kill your own food? I got deer, rabbits, turtles, fish, birds and of course hogs I think I could survive. My main concern is my family down in Houston could they get out and make it up here. How long do you think you could survive?
Hey WacoCowboy. I will give you my insight from experience. I lived in Houston when Mayor Bill White ordered evacuation for hurricane Katrina. The gas stations were empty by noon, and it took about 14 hours to get from Houston to Austin down 290 and cell phone service was down. People were fighting at the gas stations in Giddings to refuel the tanks. After that, while in Houston. I never let my gas tank go below 3/4 full and I kept a PAPER copy of a road map of Texas in my truck. But honestly, depending on where in Houston, probably not going to get out unless on foot or you get out within the first 30 minutes of an event. My opinion.

I think being more than a tank of gas away from any major population areas will help a lot. The vast majority wont get out of the cities until it is too late and they wont have the resources. Feeding some of the right locals will help because banding together for mutual protection will be needed.

Dave":1v5dftzx said:
I think being more than a tank of gas away from any major population areas will help a lot. The vast majority wont get out of the cities until it is too late and they wont have the resources. Feeding some of the right locals will help because banding together for mutual protection will be needed.
Yeah I had a couple full 5 gallon gas cans in the garage for the next time. When the evacuation happened, some people had their trucks full of gas cans, guess they already knew what was going to happen.

Trench broom and get in the thicket
you would pretty much have to retreat from roving bands unless you formed a militia. I just don't see how one person could hang on long trying to protect possessions.

BK9954":3a196ouc said:
wacocowboy":3a196ouc said:
Jo post in what you are eating got me thinking.

If something happened tomorrow say the electrical grid is wiped out nationwide and there was no electricity, if you water is pumped with electric pumps no water, no fuel, no money, no grocery store, no phones, all the convenient stuff is gone could you survive? Could you live off the land catch and kill your own food? I got deer, rabbits, turtles, fish, birds and of course hogs I think I could survive. My main concern is my family down in Houston could they get out and make it up here. How long do you think you could survive?
Hey WacoCowboy. I will give you my insight from experience. I lived in Houston when Mayor Bill White ordered evacuation for hurricane Katrina. The gas stations were empty by noon, and it took about 14 hours to get from Houston to Austin down 290 and cell phone service was down. People were fighting at the gas stations in Giddings to refuel the tanks. After that, while in Houston. I never let my gas tank go below 3/4 full and I kept a PAPER copy of a road map of Texas in my truck. But honestly, depending on where in Houston, probably not going to get out unless on foot or you get out within the first 30 minutes of an event. My opinion.

Yeah that Hurricane evacuation was a mess I was down there. I was in Friendswood we went to Conroe took forever.

Caustic Burno":36vic6a9 said:
BK9954":36vic6a9 said:
I could survive until the mobs of city rioters swarm the countryside looking for food and water and they overtook me and the family.

That is the problem with being isolated
guess you would have to figure out IED's cause you got to sleep sometimes.
Secondly sure be easy pickings checking your stuff by yourself.

A clothe's pin and some 20 lb test and you are almost there. This was a beaver dam but imagine if this were directed horizontally like a claymore and filled with glass, nuts and bolts and maybe even some bacon bits for any hodgies in the bunch. And this dog doesn't sleep. The noise might draw attention to you but the screams would make all but the most stubborn change their route I think. Of course it would be wise to remember where you put them.

Jogeephus":31agelr6 said:
Caustic Burno":31agelr6 said:
BK9954":31agelr6 said:
I could survive until the mobs of city rioters swarm the countryside looking for food and water and they overtook me and the family.

That is the problem with being isolated
guess you would have to figure out IED's cause you got to sleep sometimes.
Secondly sure be easy pickings checking your stuff by yourself.

A clothe's pin and some 20 lb test and you are almost there. This was a beaver dam but imagine if this were directed horizontally like a claymore and filled with glass, nuts and bolts and maybe even some bacon bits for any hodgies in the bunch. And this dog doesn't sleep. The noise might draw attention to you but the screams would make all but the most stubborn change their route I think. Of course it would be wise to remember where you put them.

That'll be my first line of defense also. Everyone needs 10 lbs of aluminum powder, fertilizer and 8 penny nails. The beavers won't stand a chance.

One thing I started doing as I felt times were getting shaky was getting in shape. Being physically fit is a good part of being ready for the unexpected. If you get winded after running a 1/4 mile you are in bad shape. I started lifting weights and trimmed down my fat. If crapp hits the fan you might need some muscle to get things done without power tools or you may have to evacuate on foot

BK9954":1nhp9dcu said:
One thing I started doing as I felt times were getting shaky was getting in shape. Being physically fit is a good part of being ready for the unexpected. If you get winded after running a 1/4 mile you are in bad shape. I started lifting weights and trimmed down my fat. If crapp hits the fan you might need some muscle to get things done without power tools or you may have to evacuate on foot

More power to you. I can't walk a 1/4 mile fast without getting winded. I still try to lift weights and work out on a heavy bag a few times a week.

Get a Mountain bike, they dont need gas or electricity and cant die like a horse can. That would help people that cant run. My parents are in their mid 70's and still going 6 miles every other day. Some people with knee problems or what not may need to improvise.

Power went out here today for 6 hours before I made my morning coffee.
At hour 4 I thought of this thread and then about burning money to make a pot... of course power came back on before
I did anything rash with what I was told would soon be useless currency... not sure I could have held out for 24 hours.
whew... :)

Son of Butch":2g2n2jvc said:
At hour 4 I thought of this thread and then about burning money to make a pot... of course power came back on before
I did anything rash with what I was told would soon be useless currency... not sure I could have held out for 24 hours.
I sure wished I could grow coffee....i'd sure miss coffee..

cowgirl8":1hkxwubb said:
Son of Butch":1hkxwubb said:
When I was in Houston the thought crossed my mind. I actually have the seeds but not sure if it would take in the climate, or we could just go British abd have hot tea again.. I also bought one of those heirloom seed packs of almost every veggie, sealed, good forever. Also have tobacco seeds, actually grew that. Not sure how long those seeds are good for but if everything fell apart a good chew would be nice. Making wine is so easy sitting on a 50 pound bag of sugar is all you need. Prickly pear wine,mustang grape wine or wild blackberry would be fine. In tough times alcohol is a good seller.

BK9954":ioumzegh said:
cowgirl8":ioumzegh said:
Son of Butch":ioumzegh said:
When I was in Houston the thought crossed my mind. I actually have the seeds but not sure if it would take in the climate, or we could just go British abd have hot tea again.. I also bought one of those heirloom seed packs of almost every veggie, sealed, good forever. Also have tobacco seeds, actually grew that. Not sure how long those seeds are good for but if everything fell apart a good chew would be nice. Making wine is so easy sitting on a 50 pound bag of sugar is all you need. Prickly pear wine,mustang grape wine or wild blackberry would be fine. In tough times alcohol is a good seller.
We've learned to make Mead....and if you have bees, alcohol is a breeze.

Son of Butch":1mj6emce said:

:lol2: :lol2:

Seems like the same thing happened to me some years ago when the power went out and I couldn't find the beer cooler. Or maybe it was that I couldn't find the light switch. I don't know. Just can't remember. Everything was such a blur.

Latest posts