Could you survive

Help Support CattleToday:

All ya need are the B's.
Bible
Beer
Bullets
Beef
Bullion (gold, silver, or beef if you are making soup)
Bourbon (just for sterilizing wounds)
Boat (in a lawless state, I would imagine it to be more fun to hunt this a way)

Food, Water and shelter I would be fine for a year or so. The problem with where I am now is that I am way too close to heavy populated areas. Once their food runs out they will spread out searching for something to eat. This one of the reasons I am moving.

Caustic Burno":34gg647a said:
Jogeephus":34gg647a said:
I think with all the centralized industry we are pretty fragile. What do you think would happen to the country if all the refineries in Texas were taken out somehow? This it would be a hiccup for the country or a national disaster?

National disaster your looking at 70%
of the countries capacity is located on the gulf coast. You loose just one major refinery and it would get ugly.

That's what I thought. I remember the truckers strike (70's?) and within a day of the strike there was a run on the grocery stores.

I listened to a guy once who was describing how the nuclear option was a military strategy and had I not respected him I would have thought him crazy but he laid out how this would evolve and it made a lot of sense. He also foretold the downfall of the USSR and predicted that a post-Soviet world would be very unstable with many small wars and increased terrorism. Undoubtedly, he and his counterparts spent a lot of time thinking about stuff like this.

He said the stores in towns would be out of food within three days and said you needed to be able to care for yourself for at least three months. The first month would be the initial stages of anarchy. Then there would be the formation of gangs or groups who would go out and pillage for food. After the third month the government would begin to get on its feet well enough to begin restoring order but those three months would be ugly.

One thing that seemed important to me was the need to lay low the first three months and not bring attention to yourself because of the gangs who would take your stuff so simply having food and provisions isn't enough. You'd need to make it look like your place had already been pillaged or you'd have to fight superior numbers.

Personally, I think I'd use alcohol as currency and think I could easily hire Brightraven as one a mercenary pawn-like minion to do my dirty work with his Wilson so long as I kept him supplied with a daily ration of wine as long as the wine was on the dry side and none to sweet. As far as for necessities I think I'd be in pretty good shape for a while. I have lots of food and have several shallow wells with pitcher pumps so water wouldn't be an issue. I think the roaming gangs would be my biggest obstacle even though I don't live near a large town.

It would be a terrible thing and do think we are a lot closer to something like this happening than we'd care to admit. Heck, its hard enough to go without power for a week after a hurricane. Then, like mentioned, the disruption of medical services would be a kller. Many would die just from not getting their medications.

wacocowboy":2xehkt6o said:
Son of Butch":2xehkt6o said:
How does electrical grid wiped out = no money? You own stock in the electric compnay?

The banks would shut down so you would only have what is in your pocket. I also imagine that paper money would be about as valuable as used toilet paper.
Funny you say that. I met a guy, not a crazy, but someone who is thinking, that stockpiled toilet paper for the scenario we are talking about here. He said it would be his "currency" for trade.

The big unknown about a situation like this, is how you'd be faced with informal, and probably ruthless, armed militias marauding, robbing and killing.

HDRider":1ttvdkeu said:
wacocowboy":1ttvdkeu said:
Son of Butch":1ttvdkeu said:
How does electrical grid wiped out = no money? You own stock in the electric compnay?

The banks would shut down so you would only have what is in your pocket. I also imagine that paper money would be about as valuable as used toilet paper.
Funny you say that. I met a guy, not a crazy, but someone who is thinking, that stockpiled toilet paper for the scenario we are talking about here. He said it would be his "currency" for trade.

The big unknown about a situation like this, is how you'd be faced with informal, and probably ruthless, armed militias marauding, robbing and killing.

I reckon I'd die.

HDRider":ckrjwolb said:
wacocowboy":ckrjwolb said:
Son of Butch":ckrjwolb said:

You have to make the thugs walk to your safe house in full view, and everyone is the enemy.

HDRider":3dny28pz said:
wacocowboy":3dny28pz said:
Son of Butch":3dny28pz said:

None of us could make it by yourself just for the reasons you stated. It wont take long for the masses to leave the cities in search of food and shelter .
You would have to guard your stuff 24/7 from people with nothing to loose.

First thing I'd do is steal my neighbor's nasty pit bulls that I hate (and decried on an earlier thread) :lol:
Second thing: kill half the cows for jerky. (first learn how to make jerky).
Third thing: build a trebuchet.

Yeah, I'm toast.
It's pathetic. My grandparents would have been absolutely fine.

Caustic Burno":1317xe49 said:
You would have to guard your stuff 24/7 from people with nothing to loose.

But the people who grew up watching Sesame Street don't think its really going to be that way !!!! :D Oscar is all talk on Sesame Street and stuck in a trash can.

boondocks":3uhyoqzw said:

That I don't have! It might be useful for launching buckets of cow poop at protestors blocking streets off. You could build it just big enough to latch in the back of a pick up. Walla.

backhoeboogie":2b8y2gi7 said:
boondocks":2b8y2gi7 said:

That I don't have! It might be useful for launching buckets of cow poop at protestors blocking streets off. You could build it just big enough to latch in the back of a pick up. Walla.

I assume its for chunking pit bulls or maybe jerky IDK why you would need that unless you had a fort

51aa70a8c5822.image.jpg

M-5":3e59aq4h said:
backhoeboogie":3e59aq4h said:
boondocks":3e59aq4h said:

I assume its for chunking pit bulls or maybe jerky IDK why you would need that unless you had a fort
Sorry, I'll amend my list:
2(a) Build fort

boondocks":3lmrwvf7 said:
M-5":3lmrwvf7 said:
backhoeboogie":3lmrwvf7 said:

2(a) Build fort

good choice

boondocks":1gv9u4a7 said:
M-5":1gv9u4a7 said:
backhoeboogie":1gv9u4a7 said:

2(a) Build fort

Are you talking wooden palisade type fort, or like a castle? Because wood burns, and I'm sure that some folks would still have fuel, enough to burn you out at least.

I read a story about a fort colony in the west. It was middle of winter and they had to continuously shovel around the fort so the Indians couldn't climb in and take them. Their plan, if it came to it, was to put the women and children in the black powder storage room and blow it up so the Indians couldn't harm them.

I'm glad I don't live in the Wild West.