Columbus sailed the ocen blue.

Help Support CattleToday:

hurleyjd":3nu2fask said:
True Grit Farms":3nu2fask said:
hurleyjd":3nu2fask said:
Columbus discovered America in 1492. 449 years later Hurleyjd discovered America about 5 miles South of Yantis Texas. On this day 77 years later by good health and good luck I am still going not as strong as in the past. Never planned on any thing long term just took each day as it came and tried to make the best of it.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leif_Erikson
Being of Norwegian decent I beg to differ on the discovery of America. 77 years is a big number, congratulations.

My guess is that America was discovered and inhabited much sooner than when either the Vikings or Columbus came here. I think Columbus goal was to prove that you could sail west and go around the globe Well to the Indies without going overland. The belief by some at that time was the earth was flat and if you sailed further enough you would fall off of the edge and never to be seen again. There was a stone found in Oklahoma called the Heavner stone (http://newsok.com/article/5416047))because where it was found.
He's a Swede what would you expect him to say or find in Oklahoma?

Bestoutwest":3u3l29uk said:
dun":3u3l29uk said:
You should have had Norwegian teachers, you would have learned it right.

I was just kidding. I've done some reading on the early settlements found in Canada and it's pretty fascinating. The only reason that Columbus gets all the news is that the Vikings were smart and kept their mouths shut about how special North America was.

I agree the Vikings were smart and good cattlemen too. They were raising cattle, sheep, goats and pigs in Iceland and Greenland before Columbus was born. Of course this was before global warming.

Jogeephus":314htoel said:
Bestoutwest":314htoel said:
dun":314htoel said:

I was just kidding. I've done some reading on the early settlements found in Canada and it's pretty fascinating. The only reason that Columbus gets all the news is that the Vikings were smart and kept their mouths shut about how special North America was.

I agree the Vikings were smart and good cattlemen too. They were raising cattle, sheep, goats and pigs in Iceland and Greenland before Columbus was born. Of course this was before global warming.

But they left because they couldn't get a free cell phone.

Jogeephus":327nvve3 said:
Bestoutwest":327nvve3 said:
dun":327nvve3 said:

Actually that was before global cooling.

hurleyjd":2gvip1q1 said:
True Grit Farms":2gvip1q1 said:
hurleyjd":2gvip1q1 said:
Columbus discovered America in 1492. 449 years later Hurleyjd discovered America about 5 miles South of Yantis Texas. On this day 77 years later by good health and good luck I am still going not as strong as in the past. Never planned on any thing long term just took each day as it came and tried to make the best of it.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Leif_Erikson
Being of Norwegian decent I beg to differ on the discovery of America. 77 years is a big number, congratulations.

My guess is that America was discovered and inhabited much sooner than when either the Vikings or Columbus came here. I think Columbus goal was to prove that you could sail west and go around the globe get to the Indies without going overland. The belief by some at that time was the earth was flat and if you sailed further enough you would fall off of the edge and never to be seen again. There was a stone found in Oklahoma called the Heavner stone (http://newsok.com/article/5416047))because where it was found.

The Heavener Runestone park is close to where my wife is from in Oklahoma, we went there last summer. Very interesting place, from what we understood the state has stopped funding for upkeep of the parks.

It is interesting that the Vikings came to North America in about the year 1000. These people lived on Greenland for several hundred years until the weather got colder. Some people starved to death and some people went back to Iceland. So by the late 1300s there were no Europeans in Greenland.

You can search on the Internet and see pictures of what remains of the Vikings' stone houses in Greenland.

I saw a television documentary about the Kensington Runestone in Minnesota. Many believe a group of Vikings and a priest made a journey through the Great Lakes and down a river into Minnesota and placed the Kensington Runestone on the land just 30 miles from the river as a claim to the land. Apparently these people raised sheep and sold wool, so they wanted the land to raise sheep. The interesting thing is the stone had a double letter carved into it that was only recently discovered in Denmark. People point to this as evidence that the stone could not have been a hoax. They also showed where Native-Americans had carved a cross with a circle around it into rocks in I believe what is now Michigan. The cross with a circle around it was on the sail of the Viking ship, they said, and it is believed natives saw the ship sailing through the Great Lakes.

Christopher Columbus, an Italian, arrived in the Caribbean in 1492. He made three voyages and took natives as slaves back to Spain. He never set foot on North America, though.

There is a funny story from the Viking Chronicles. A group of Vikings met a group of what they called Skraelings, which were Inuit/Eskimo people. The Vikings gave these people their drink of a mix of milk and honey. The Inuit liked it and drank a lot of it. The two groups parted as friends. Later the Inuit people started getting terrible stomach aches and they thought the Vikings had poisoned them. So the next day the Inuit attacked and chased off the Vikings. Most Native-American adults are lactose intolerant, so the stomach aches were caused by drinking milk. :)

TennesseeTuxedo":320su8qw said:
Jogeephus":320su8qw said:
Bestoutwest":320su8qw said:

Actually that was before global cooling.

Or would that be climate change? I get them confused. :oops:

Dave":1dw8xhyc said:
Jogeephus":1dw8xhyc said:
Bestoutwest":1dw8xhyc said:

But they left because they couldn't get a free cell phone.

Well you can't blame them for that! Having a cell phone is a fundamental human right.

When Christopher Columbus first saw manatees on this day in 1493, he mistook them for mermaids and described them as "not so beautiful as they are said to be."

Latest posts