Church

Help Support CattleToday:

angie":1qfsemcp said:
HerefordSire":1qfsemcp said:
I wasn't trying to corner you Larry. I admire someone that gives, especially time. How can anyone be admired if we don't know who gives?
I have/had no desire to wade into this thread, but I find this comment to be offensive ~ especially since it is directed to Larry, one of the most admirable on these boards. It is condescending, and minimizes his efforts and intent.

Admiration is not based on your contributions. You will be rewarded for them once. If you choose to advertise them on Cattle Today, then you will be rewarded for them on Cattle Today. Yippee :roll: And for as pathological as I find you to be at times HS, you do not strike me as stupid and I cannot believe that you believe what you say to be true.

When a person admires me, I tend to become self-centered. If I don't give anyone a chance to admire me, then I am better off (spiriually speaking) because self is worldy.

spoon":2ctt67cd said:
HerefordSire":2ctt67cd said:
I challenge anyone reading this to donate $1 to someone, without anyone knowing about it, and then come back and share with the board. One way to do this, is with a third party sworn to secrecy. Another way to do this, is to drop a bill into an envelope, into someone's mail box. You get the idea.[/i]

I know a church that has a program where they pay for the peoples food in the car behind them at drive thru restaurants. They just ask the cashier to hand them a card they carry that says that they just want to share Gods love in a tangible way. No names or church names involved. Giving someone money anonamously(sp) is a great idea. It's an even better idea if you are moved to do it by the spirit of the Lord. Doing charitable things without being led by the spirit of the Lord has nothing to do with the church or being a Christian.Telling others would prove it wasn't a God thing but a *me* thing. Kind of like telling people how much you tithe. There's no reason to try to impress others, only the blood of Jesus can get you into heaven and that can't be bought because it is a gift from God available to all his children through His son Jesus. Now after saying way more than I intended to, yes, I believe church is a great place for humans to study, pray, and learn more about Gods word. But most of all to praise and thank Him for all He does for us.

You just wrote some very wise words. It is refreshing to get to know someone like you.

Ryder":1e4ogmct said:
I am sure that a number of people on this board have given many times and much more than a dollar without anyone knowing about it. But if someone does know about it, so what? That doesn't dictate that the motive for giving was selfish.
Circumstances may dictate different actions at different times.

I reckon at certain times I can't be anonymous when I give, like when my children, or relatives, are in a bind and I don't have a choice. Otherwise, if I truly want to help someone, the only way I know for sure it is not for my selfish reasons, it for the receiver to not know where the help came from.

kerley":2rfvw7ar said:
HerefordSire":2rfvw7ar said:
kerley":2rfvw7ar said:
I will never know if church is good for you. I only know it is good for me.
Tom

Why is church good for you?
Hereford Sire, Attend your own childs funeral then ask me about God and Church.
Tom.
Tom know what you mean, been there and done that twice, and have no desire to ever have to do it again.

kerley":25ncdctr said:
HerefordSire":25ncdctr said:
kerley":25ncdctr said:
I will never know if church is good for you. I only know it is good for me.
Tom

Why is church good for you?
Hereford Sire, Attend your own childs funeral then ask me about God and Church.
Tom.

If you attended your own child's funeral, sorry the event happened. I was asking about "Church" only.

chrisy":1fot4hn2 said:
Almost everyone here has made a good point, and religion is a very personal thing it touches people in different ways, God is not the same to all, he comes to our hearts in many different ways, and is telling us, helping us and guiding us all the time with a message that is relevant to the situation we are in at the time. If people donate money and such and make a big thing of it, it is their glory they are trying to revel in, not Gods. As my Dad always said to me 'Tiney God moves in mysterious ways and you will always know he's around when you need him most', a wise old goat my Daddy was. and I feel he is my Guardian Angel now sitting on my shoulder, sent back to me by our Lord. So please don't mock anyone for their beliefs, if you don't agree with what they are saying that is up to you, as why should your way be right as opposed to their way. and remember 'A still tongue keeps a wise head' as what is said today in haste can not be taken back tomorrow, and good friends are hard to find. It brakes my heart to see bikering going on.

I think we are having an intellectual discussion about Church. I am not sure where you are reading negativity.

chrisy":mgx1p921 said:
It brakes my heart to see bikering going on.

Actually, I don't see any bikering going on. I see a rational discussion by rational people. The question was a reasonable question and I see many reasoned answers. Some of the answers based upon faith and others based upon research.

For all of those that give an answer based upon faith, no more needs to be said. Your faith and beliefs give you the answer that church is good and right for you.

I do attend church some, however I am not there every time the doors open. I have faith, and my faith is strong. I also believe that when 2 or more people get together, Gods presence can be with them. That doesn't always mean to be in church.

There are many good people in many church assemblies. There are also many hypocrites in those same churches. It's up to you as an individual which one you are going to be. I don't want to be the hypocrite.

Prime example - The neighborhood Southern Baptist Church that we attend. I can not become a member of it. I was raised Baptist, love this church, and believe that it does good work. It also has the SBC "rules" posted on the wall just like every other SBC church. There are two of the "rules" that I have a problem with.

Problem rule #1 - Abstain from alcohol as a beverage.

Problem rule #2 - Abstain from "back-biting" (aka gossip).

The alcohol rule is always talked about, but the back-biting rule never is. If we're going to preach the rules, let's see them all preached. My preacher there (and he is a friend of mine), asked me why I would not join the church, and I told him that I liked to drink a little whiskey as a beverage. Didn't want to be a hypocrite.

There are a few other things that could be said, but I don't want to get this thread locked because it would get religious....

Our old pastor was visiting my future father-in-law way back and at the end of the visit the pastor asked if my FIL would be joining them at church that Sunday. My FIL replied 'I don't want to go there, the church is filled with hypocrites." The pastor replied "There's always room for one more." and drove away.

My FIL thought about what the pastor was saying and started attending church and soon asked Christ into his heart and has been going ever since.

grannysoo":2ius03js said:
chrisy":2ius03js said:

Actually, I don't see any bikering going on. I see a rational discussion by rational people. The question was a reasonable question and I see many reasoned answers. Some of the answers based upon faith and others based upon research.

For all of those that give an answer based upon faith, no more needs to be said. Your faith and beliefs give you the answer that church is good and right for you.

I do attend church some, however I am not there every time the doors open. I have faith, and my faith is strong. I also believe that when 2 or more people get together, Gods presence can be with them. That doesn't always mean to be in church.

There are many good people in many church assemblies. There are also many hypocrites in those same churches. It's up to you as an individual which one you are going to be. I don't want to be the hypocrite.

Prime example - The neighborhood Southern Baptist Church that we attend. I can not become a member of it. I was raised Baptist, love this church, and believe that it does good work. It also has the SBC "rules" posted on the wall just like every other SBC church. There are two of the "rules" that I have a problem with.

The alcohol rule is always talked about, but the back-biting rule never is. If we're going to preach the rules, let's see them all preached. My preacher there (and he is a friend of mine), asked me why I would not join the church, and I told him that I liked to drink a little whiskey as a beverage. Didn't want to be a hypocrite.

There are a few other things that could be said, but I don't want to get this thread locked because it would get religious....

I was a little down on my luck in my mid twenties so I joined a church because I was listening, so to speak, and a potential client of my sensed something. It was like were were communicating with our eyes. He must have sensed I was down and Invited me to his church. I agreed and later became a member. After several months, one of the adult learning sessions I was involved with something happened I really don't understand. I rarely, if anytime, said anything during the sessions. The only people I spoke with are the members that came up to me and introduced themselves to me. To make a long story short, there was a married lady about 45 years old in one of the sessions that stood up in the middle of the session and insulted me rudely in front of everyone. The only thing I could think of is I was tempting her sexually.

HerefordSire":3mihlela said:
When a person admires me, I tend to become self-centered. If I don't give anyone a chance to admire me, then I am better off (spiriually speaking) because self is worldy.
Lean to far that way and they may put that label on you anyway.

HerefordSire":3c0owlh2 said:
grannysoo":3c0owlh2 said:
chrisy":3c0owlh2 said:

I was a little down on my luck in my mid twenties so I joined a church because I was listening, so to speak, and a potential client of my sensed something. It was like were were communicating with our eyes. He must have sensed I was down and Invited me to his church. I agreed and later became a member. After several months, one of the adult learning sessions I was involved with something happened I really don't understand. I rarely, if anytime, said anything during the sessions. The only people I spoke with are the members that came up to me and introduced themselves to me. To make a long story short, there was a married lady about 45 years old in one of the sessions that stood up in the middle of the session and insulted me rudely in front of everyone. The only thing I could think of is I was tempting her sexually.
man you are as the hip people say, a piece of work,

1982vett":1xit83y8 said:
HerefordSire":1xit83y8 said:
Lean to far that way and they may put that label on you anyway.

That is very true. What is the saying?

No good tree bears bad fruit, nor does a bad tree bear good fruit. Each tree is recognized by its own fruit.

HerefordSire":2ls7zc2o said:
The only people I spoke with are the members that came up to me and introduced themselves to me.

Back 10 or 12 years ago or so, the wife and I were visiting around looking for a church home together. Some of the experiences in those places were unbelieveable.

I had one baptist preacher tell me to come to his church so "he could save me".

We had one church that we went to that no one spoke to us at until we were leaving. A fellow I knew came running out and spoke to us. Do ya think we went back to that one?

Another had a preacher that could nothing but beat down the sinners from the pulpit. I don't think an inspirational word ever come out of his mouth.

As I have said before, there is a big difference between religion and salvation. Salvation is an incredible gift. The religious people were thrown out of the temple...

And herefordsire, I think your intellect is what she found sexy. Either that, or you bent over and she saw your thong... :lol2:

grannysoo":eaq9g7pk said:
HerefordSire":eaq9g7pk said:
The only people I spoke with are the members that came up to me and introduced themselves to me.

Back 10 or 12 years ago or so, the wife and I were visiting around looking for a church home together. Some of the experiences in those places were unbelieveable.

I had one baptist preacher tell me to come to his church so "he could save me".

We had one church that we went to that no one spoke to us at until we were leaving. A fellow I knew came running out and spoke to us. Do ya think we went back to that one?

Another had a preacher that could nothing but beat down the sinners from the pulpit. I don't think an inspirational word ever come out of his mouth.

As I have said before, there is a big difference between religion and salvation. Salvation is an incredible gift. The religious people were thrown out of the temple...

And herefordsire, I think your intellect is what she found sexy. Either that, or you bent over and she saw your thong... :lol2:

I tried to make a long story short...but I will add a little....I think the husband and the wife were having marital issues, the husband probably got jealous, and the wife took it out on me since I was new to the church and she used the event to show her husband...something. I never went back after that day. Also, I was never a member of another church, now that I think of it. There was more spiritual warfare in that church than outside of the church. I would rather take my chances outside in a saloon. Of course I could change any day.

Another saying....the wise know nothing and the know nothings are wise.

HerefordSire":31m9dfz2 said:
dyates":31m9dfz2 said:
Supposed to be. If not, you should consider a different church.

I do not belong to a church. Why should I consider going to a church?

Assuming you're inclined toward Christianity, Galatians, Ephesians, Phillippians, etc. all instruct us to fellowship with fellow believers in Christ. This fellowship is to encourage you as well as them in fulfilling The Great Commission. Fellowship can, by definition, only occur between God and Christians or among Christians. Remember, when observing the actions and words of religious people, that they may not really be Christians, even within the church. Why should you consider going to a church? Only you can answer that question. Attend with a sincere, inquisitive heart. The rest will come to you when you need it. I will pray for you.

HerefordSire":3t4kj3sy said:
Ryder":3t4kj3sy said:
I am sure that a number of people on this board have given many times and much more than a dollar without anyone knowing about it. But if someone does know about it, so what? That doesn't dictate that the motive for giving was selfish.
Circumstances may dictate different actions at different times.

I reckon at certain times I can't be anonymous when I give, like when my children, or relatives, are in a bind and I don't have a choice. Otherwise, if I truly want to help someone, the only way I know for sure it is not for my selfish reasons, it for the receiver to not know where the help came from.

HF I agree with you on the giving "incognito". The blessing comes from seeing the folks you were able to help in some small way doing better and they don't have a clue it was you that helped them out..... I can tell you a lot of stories about this and the feeling is hard to explain. Size of "giving" doesn't matter one iota. Just give out of love and passion for others.

dyates":342o6d7a said:
I will pray for you.
Just read your sig line.
What you say about fellowship, and what you say about fellowship contradicts itself.
Or maybe "now go home" means something different where you come from.
Remember yourself in your prayers as well dyates. ;-)

angie":2ay0gdej said:
dyates":2ay0gdej said:
I will pray for you.
Just read your sig line.
What you say about fellowship, and what you say about fellowship contradicts itself.
"nOr maybe ow go home" means something different where you come from.
Remember yourself in your prayers as well dyates. ;-)
nope it means exactlly what you think it does..... you can pray for folks long distance :p

Latest posts