Smart phone use in church

Help Support CattleToday:

Banjo I went and got me a genuine KJV app for my phone. Not the 1611 edition but should be perfect since it's the one that Peter and Paul used. :lol2: :lol2: :lol2: :hide:

TexasBred":31uxsbho said:
Commercialfarmer":31uxsbho said:
Have you seen the Dead Sea Scroll exhibit? http://seethescrolls.com/exhibit
I have a real hard time thinking that the Catholic Church as a corner on the scripture market, especially when the church doesn't want members reading and interpreting the passages for themselves (lot of control issues there which is dangerous and then you have people sounding like you- you can't interpret the word of God, but you can somehow know that everyone else is wrong? :roll: ). There are plenty or very old scriptures to compare to today's. It only shows how consistent the word has been.

Jsut so happens I have seen the dead sea scrolls. KNow what they have? The books the prots. removed from the bible. Sure we read and interpret scripture. We DO have bibles my friend and we read them at home on our phones and in church. Not a problem at all. Who told you we don't?? But then scripture itself says it is hard to interpret. And yes we decided the canon of scripture. Where was your protestant church back in the 4th century? How do you know what books belong in the bible and which do not? After all there were dozens of gospels, 5 Acts of the Apostles and literally hundreds of epistles. The CHURCH had to decide which were divinly inspired word of God. Yes there are "old scriptures" available. That was not my comment. I asked specifically "What original greek manuscripts" were used. NONE There are NONE...only reproductions WITH changes and fragments of others. Read the introduction to the original KJV....count the books in the original 1611 KJV . Check center column references for 200 years afterward and you'll find references to the "deleted" books. Took them longer to get all those removed.

Next you'll claim we chained the bibles to the pulpit. Dam sure did...they were very very expensive and didn't want anyone to steal them. And in those most of the Kings of the world could read anyway, let alone the common man.

Now I don't know which one of the 40,000 protestant demominations you belong to but you need to do some serious study about ANY church before condemning it. And find reliable sources !!!!!

:D Thank you for expressing my thoughts for me. I don't know how I could ever debate with you, without you making a point that I have never stated and then defend it so eloquently. :cowboy:

It is apparent that there has been and will be division on minute aspects of doctrine in all churches. You can try to point out division in protestants all you want, but you can't see the division in your own brand.... seriously? Please inform me where the first Christians were in need of a Pope? I don't recall Paul being a Pope or arguing that his message was more appropriate than John's? And did they have a perfectly written Bible for someone to interpret for them? How could this be? Maybe they relied upon the gospel and the Holy Spirit? I'm going to bet that if God can create the world and inspire the word to be written for future peoples, he can have it re-created without the approval of a few self important individuals. And yes, you can compare the most ancient texts with the current and they have remained very stable. I try to follow the two most important commandments and understand the purpose of cross, all other doctrine will fall in line. I think most of us have enough problems here, that arguing over the more minute points is probably worthless.

TB, are you telling me that the individual in your church is not suppose to consider the interpretation of the Priest and Pope over their own? That isn't following with the common practice of the church. I'm just letting a little air out of your tires, they seem a little over inflated. Instead of constantly picking at others, maybe you should work on the inconsistencies in your own. I will leave it at that.

Commercialfarmer":2g0uc25e said:
TB, are you telling me that the individual in your church is not suppose to consider the interpretation of the Priest and Pope over their own? That isn't following with the common practice of the church. I'm just letting a little air out of your tires, they seem a little over inflated. Instead of constantly picking at others, maybe you should work on the inconsistencies in your own. I will leave it at that.

Inconsistencies?? :lol: :lol: :lol:

'Were it not for The Catholic Church, I would not believe a word of Scripture!' (paraphrased)
- Augustine of Hippo

By what authority do you interpret scripture or even believe it is the word of God?
BTW, the first christians had Apostles, who appointed bishops. The Pope is the Bishop of Rome, the first being "Peter". As for those "minute" details of doctrine protestant disagree on, why if minute, do they cause so many divisions among you? Seems each protestant church has it's on "Pope". Has anyone ever stood up in your church and called your "Pope" a liar or do you agree with him all the time? IF you disagree why do so many simply move down the street a block or two and start a church that teaches what you believe?? Sounds
like you feel your own understanding of scripture is "infallible". You may see some of our Catholic "practices" change from time to time but our theology never changes.

Hope you enjoy worship services today. We went early. :nod:

I certainly don't agree with my pastor on everything and I do think that no matter what church there is a certain apostolic, patristic element, otherwise there wouldn't be a message every week. So I do find those kinds of accusations against Catholics unfair. I know Catholics that are very diligent in their Bible study and I know plenty that are not, just like my church.

If Christians are ever persecuted to the point of death, and in many parts of the world they are, the question won't be "what church do you go to", the question will be "who do you say is Lord".

Larry

larryshoat":17984sgv said:
I certainly don't agree with my pastor on everything and I do think that no matter what church there is a certain apostolic, patristic element, otherwise there wouldn't be a message every week. So I do find those kinds of accusations against Catholics unfair. I know Catholics that are very diligent in their Bible study and I know plenty that are not, just like my church.

If Christians are ever persecuted to the point of death, and in many parts of the world they are, the question won't be "what church do you go to", the question will be "who do you say is Lord".

Larry
Not if, it's happening everyday. Just not here (yet).

larryshoat":1evkg9ok said:

Larry

Larry, I agree that there are diligent people and not so diligent in all faiths. My statements were more directed at TB's continuous tearing down of protestant churches on here, and lack of critical evaluation of his own. I probably should have just let his remarks go as I don't really care to tear down the Catholic faith on this forum.

TexasBred":1evkg9ok said:
By what authority do you interpret scripture or even believe it is the word of God?
BTW, the first christians had Apostles, who appointed bishops. The Pope is the Bishop of Rome, the first being "Peter". As for those "minute" details of doctrine protestant disagree on, why if minute, do they cause so many divisions among you? Seems each protestant church has it's on "Pope". Has anyone ever stood up in your church and called your "Pope" a liar or do you agree with him all the time? IF you disagree why do so many simply move down the street a block or two and start a church that teaches what you believe?? Sounds
like you feel your own understanding of scripture is "infallible". You may see some of our Catholic "practices" change from time to time but our theology never changes.

The understanding of the word of God is through the Holy Spirit. It is His Spirit that is given to Christians to understand His will. And it is by the death of Christ that this relationship is possible. And it is because of the death of Christ, that a direct relation through him as the only mediator, is not only possible but a complete disparagement to him to attempt to use any other intercessor to God but him.

Paul is the founder of the gentile church. It was his commission after he persecuted the early church to spread the gospel among the gentiles. His story is one that highlights the extreme abundance of undeserved grace provided us by God.

TB, there is no Pope in my church. There is an elected board that hires and can fire pastors if ever need be. Pastors lead the service, they don't dictate it. I prefer this to having a group or individual some distance away, make decisions for the local Church. As far as the divisions, I have been to many. I used to travel all over and I've attended about every type- some for curiosity, others it was what was available (I've also listened to a lot of Catholic masses and discussions ;-) ). The differences in many churches (not all) as I've said, are minute. Ultimately, it is the faith in Christ and praise of God that is important- and that can be done in a lot of different buildings.

I'll give you the last word.

Commercialfarmer":11ukq1d2 said:
Larry, I agree that there are diligent people and not so diligent in all faiths. My statements were more directed at TB's continuous tearing down of protestant churches on here, and lack of critical evaluation of his own. I probably should have just let his remarks go as I don't really care to tear down the Catholic faith on this forum.CF I seldom make a commment unless it is defending my faith or explaining differences and/or misrepresentations. If it offends you I'm sorry.

TexasBred":11ukq1d2 said:

The understanding of the word of God is through the Holy Spirit. It is His Spirit that is given to Christians to understand His will. And it is by the death of Christ that this relationship is possible. And it is because of the death of Christ, that a direct relation through him as the only mediator, is not only possible but a complete disparagement to him to attempt to use any other intercessor to God but him. Then I suppose you do not believe in "intercessory prayer" either??

Paul is the founder of the gentile church. It was his commission after he persecuted the early church to spread the gospel among the gentiles. His story is one that highlights the extreme abundance of undeserved grace provided us be nice.[bAll true, however, it was also Peter who founded the church at Rome[/b]

TB, there is no Pope in my church. There is an elected board that hires and can fire pastors if ever need be. Pastors lead the service, they don't dictate it. I prefer this to having a group or individual some distance away, make decisions for the local Church. As far as the divisions, I have been to many. I used to travel all over and I've attended about every type- some for curiosity, others it was what was available (I've also listened to a lot of Catholic masses and discussions ;-) ). The differences in many churches (not all) as I've said, are minute. Ultimately, it is the faith in Christ and praise of God that is important- and that can be done in a lot of different buildings. But CF "individuals and groups some distance away" do not make decision for the local Catholic church. We too have our boards, deacons, etc which make local decisions, however, we also have "bishops" in accordance with scripture

I'll give you the last word.
Thank you. ;-)

Hmmm. Reading all this lets me know how old fashioned we still are in my church, and I like it that way. People get embarrassed if their wrist watch accidentally goes off, let alone having out a phone.

If I'm not mistaken, adults always thought it was terrible if kids and teens just watched tv or played video games all the time, yet those same adults with a few more years on them can't live without their phone in their hand all the time, even in church???? I wonder what they would have thought a few years ago had their kid pulled out a hand-held video game?

herofan":141hsrg8 said:
Hmmm. Reading all this lets me know how old fashioned we still are in my church, and I like it that way. People get embarrassed if their wrist watch accidentally goes off, let alone having out a phone.

If I'm not mistaken, adults always thought it was terrible if kids and teens just watched tv or played video games all the time, yet those same adults with a few more years on them can't live without their phone in their hand all the time, even in church???? I wonder what they would have thought a few years ago had their kid pulled out a hand-held video game?
Very true. Amazing how many think first 10 minutes after arriving is suppose to be dedicated to gossip and flattery instead of prayer and meditation.

Latest posts